Honda Goldwing Forums

Honda Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/)
-   Recent Rides and Riding Experiences (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/10-recent-rides-riding-experiences/)
-   -   My Grand Motorcycle Adventure (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/10-recent-rides-riding-experiences/92745-my-grand-motorcycle-adventure.html)

austinetc 03-03-2016 03:28 PM

My Grand Motorcycle Adventure

On Sunday Iíll begin my Motorcycle Adventure, which may encompass as many as 23,000 miles. I have mentally established seven segments:

Home (Vista, CA) to Key West, FL; To Fairbanks, AK; To Seattle, WA; To Prince Edward Island, Canada (Perhaps Newfoundland); To Glasgow, Scotland (explanation below); To Washington, DC; To Home.

My tentative completion date for the entire trip is sometime in August, but Iím reserving the right to adjust or cease the Adventure at anytime. Because I have a few specific events in mind on the first leg (Spurs game and some Spring Training games), I've formulated a detailed itinerary. The remaining legs will be much less structured. This is emphatically not a race to the finish line! My goal is to camp five out of seven nights, thereby focusing on natural wonders, not cities. I have set aside about 65 days with no forward progress planned at all.

In early July (somewhere in the Northeast) Iíll suspend the trip to spend 8 days walking across Scotland with my sister Connie, along with maybe a week of just driving around the countryside. Visiting Scotland is certainly the first item I ever put on my bucket list (1973). I clearly remember the time and place when I thought ďI have got to go there!!Ē

I have a web site set up: dlajourney.com. Iíll try to make entries and provide pictures along the way. It also has a link to a tracking app.

While planning this trip I received numerous nuggets of advice from this forum. I sincerely appreciate all the input and will be seeking more as I go.

Ron Robertson 03-03-2016 03:47 PM

When you cross back into the U.S.A. from Alaska let us know and I'll buy you a coffee.

superdave1120 03-03-2016 03:57 PM

Good luck on the trip and be safe.

NREMTP 03-03-2016 04:27 PM

Sounds simply incredible. Looking forward to following you on your epic adventure.

TwoIron 03-03-2016 04:59 PM

Here's to a safe and enjoyable trip. Stop and say hello if you pass through Lebanon, MO during your travels.

budoka 03-03-2016 05:11 PM

Wow, when you plan a ride you don't mess around! Looking forward to following your progress.

Tatanka 03-03-2016 05:38 PM

What a great adventure! Travel safe and have fun!:wink2:

Chopin 03-03-2016 06:28 PM

I take it you are travelling solo ?

Insane_Crew 03-03-2016 06:39 PM

Will be watching your progress. If you end up in southern Manitoba send me a message and I'll gladly meet up.

austinetc 03-03-2016 07:14 PM

Yes, I am traveling solo. The Mrs. doesn't mind 8-9 day trips, but she still has a job and demands hotels. I enjoy camping and besides, I simply can't afford hotels for five months.

She is blessed with a job she enjoys and I have adventures she is not the least bit interested in. So I'm taking the opportunity to get my personal bucket list items checked off before she retires.