Honda Goldwing Forums

Honda Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/6-new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Thinking of getting a Goldwing (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/6-new-member-introductions/79257-thinking-getting-goldwing.html)

kattotonic 07-01-2015 08:21 PM

Thinking of getting a Goldwing

Hello all

So I have my eye on a 1981 Honda Goldwing GL 1100. But being a lady, not as big and husky as some of you fellows on here, not sure if it is too big for me. I am by no means a petite little thing, but I am not an amazon either lol I am not worried about the CC's mind you. The weight and bulk is what I am wondering about. The only street bike I have ridden was a Honda CB650, I think it was a 79.

I want one because I want to be able to hop on it and go 200 or 1200 miles in comfort. Also I would feel a bit safer on a bigger bike. So opinions. Also any suggestions when it comes to buying one. It has 49000 miles on it. A friend told me to see when the timing belt was changed last too. :grin2:

trike lady 07-01-2015 09:20 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum.
Have you tried the bike to see how it would feel to you. There are ladies riding the Goldwing F6B and that is large in comparison to the GL1100.
The engine design keeps the weight low (as in to the bottom of the motorcycle).
Are you looking at a GL1100 Standard or an Interstate with full touring dress?

kattotonic 07-01-2015 10:05 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I think it is an Interstate. Here is a pic of it

trike lady 07-01-2015 10:14 PM

Yes, that's an Interstate model, they took the trunk off which makes the bike less top heavy and that's good.

kattotonic 07-01-2015 10:18 PM

I actually like the way it looks without it. It's the one I like the best so far.

trike lady 07-01-2015 10:52 PM

If you like it and the price is right and as one of our members says, "If it sings the ride me home song", its meant to be.
My last bike didn't sing the song, it just yelled "take me home" and I am the proud owner of a GL650I that will be restored.

kattotonic 07-01-2015 11:07 PM

LOL Well they want 1700 which is pretty good for the shape it is in. Still need to see it and hear it though, but it has low miles to. Seen a few with higher miles that was more.

detdrbuzzard 07-02-2015 04:09 AM

go see it kat and sit on it too you don't say how tall you are so make sure it fits you. 1100 trunks seem to be detachable anyway but I'm not sure they are all that way. if the rack is still there its just a matter of bolting the trunk back on when needed. yes change the timing belts before that make sure the stator is charging the battery before you purchase the bike or you'll be spending about $1200 to have someone replace it or have to have an external alternator installed

Chopin 07-02-2015 05:11 AM

We need a few more details here. What is your age ,measurements, and weight ?

GoldWingKing 07-02-2015 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopin (Post 1304153)
We need a few more details here. What is your age ,measurements, and weight ?

Even you should know better than to ask a woman questions like that, Marine.