Honda Goldwing Forums

Honda Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/)
-   Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/11-honda-goldwing-forum-general-discussion/)
-   -   Turn signals self cancel (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/11-honda-goldwing-forum-general-discussion/126993-turn-signals-self-cancel.html)

Jinx 08-22-2019 08:07 AM

Turn signals self cancel
 
My turn signal are not cancelling when I turn them on and then turn the handlebars from lock to lock. My understanding is that the angle sensor on the triple tree sends a signal, ground , to cancel the turn signal when the handlebars are returned to center. The turn signal self cancel after I have traveled a set distance so that is working fine and they cancel when I press the turn signal switch. So that part is working.

I have gone thru the troubleshooting section upto the point where I have to remove the shell to get to the diode . Also I have checked the clip that connects the angle sensor to the frame so it is not that.

So I am asking if I am right that the turn signal should cancel when the handlebars are turned from lock to center ?

budoka 08-22-2019 02:42 PM

Jinx, I believe there is a motion sensor in the system so if you are sitting still turning the bars lock to lock will not cancel the signal lights. But as often happens, I could be mistaken on this....

dan18960 08-22-2019 03:18 PM

The turn signals do not work as your 4 wheel vehicle does. They are on a distance sensor. They will cancel automatically for making turns and when passing.

.

Jinx 08-22-2019 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budoka (Post 2209987)
Jinx, I believe there is a motion sensor in the system so if you are sitting still turning the bars lock to lock will not cancel the signal lights. But as often happens, I could be mistaken on this....

I think you are right. There may have been a bad connection in the system. I went for a ride today and the turn signals were working as expected. Right after straightening up from a slow speed turn the turn signal would turn off. Before they would not turn off until I had traveled some distance.

Thank you for your reply.

Jinx 08-22-2019 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan18960 (Post 2209993)
The turn signals do not work as your 4 wheel vehicle does. They are on a distance sensor. They will cancel automatically for making turns and when passing.

.

They cancel with speed and the angle sensor. I believe that turns from a stop both the angle sensor and speed sensors come into play.

dan18960 08-23-2019 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jinx (Post 2210005)
They cancel with speed and the angle sensor. I believe that turns from a stop both the angle sensor and speed sensors come into play.

I have never had my turn signals cancel from making any turns. If I "tap" the turn signal button at a traffic stop and I make the turn it still flashes for the same distance as when I use them for passing. And I have scraped the pegs on many a left/right turn that would definitely activate any angle sensor IF that disabled them.

So when I tap them at a traffic stop - I manually cancel them after I make the turn (but if I forget - they cancel themselves in less than a quarter mile).

Jinx 08-23-2019 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan18960 (Post 2210053)
I have never had my turn signals cancel from making any turns. If I "tap" the turn signal button at a traffic stop and I make the turn it still flashes for the same distance as when I use them for passing. And I have scraped the pegs on many a left/right turn that would definitely activate any angle sensor IF that disabled them.

So when I tap them at a traffic stop - I manually cancel them after I make the turn (but if I forget - they cancel themselves in less than a quarter mile).

The angle sensor is in the steering head. It senses when the forks are turned, in a slow speed turn, and then returned to center.

Chopin 08-23-2019 12:33 PM

You can test whether the angle sensor is working or not by dropping the bike on either the left or right side.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

ironhorse54 08-23-2019 03:47 PM

Ha ha Ha ha ha, very true. I know mine is working perfectly.

Jinx 08-23-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopin (Post 2210099)
You can test whether the angle sensor is working or not by dropping the bike on either the left or right side.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

Different sensor and I know that one works.

Went out to the bike and put in on the center stand. Started the engine and put it in second gear, speed about 20mph. Turned the left signal on and waited for it to turn off . Turned off after about 10 sec. Pulled in the clutch and brake as if I was stopped at an intersection. Turned on the left turn signal and let out the clutch as if pulling out from the intersection, turned the handlebars left then back to center. Right after the handlebars were returned to center the turn signal turned off.

So I am sure the turn signals are working .


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome