Honda Goldwing Forums

Honda Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/6-new-member-introductions/)
-   -   Back To What I love (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/6-new-member-introductions/126953-back-what-i-love.html)

SouthernOutlaw 08-16-2019 08:06 AM

Back To What I love

It has been 7 years since the last time I rode a bike. My fist one was at the age of 14 in 1965, and there were 24 bikes i have owned since the first. Now at the young age of 68 I have decided I have missed riding to much to spend the rest of my life wishing I could. Looking for a GL 1200 in good shape, but they have been kind of hard to find. Hope to find the right one soon. I'll be around here often.
Oh, I live in Alabama between Linden, and Thomasville if any of you know where that is.

Luv2fish 08-16-2019 08:12 AM

Welcome from Northern Virginia. Good luck on your hunt but Iím curious why youíre restricting the quest to GL 1200s. Lots of other GWs out there right now.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

budoka 08-16-2019 08:29 AM

Good morning (it's a tad earlier here than in the east) and welcome. I have to agree with Steve's opinion on the 1200 quest. There are lots of viable options in the used Wing market. All older bikes will have some issues with available parts and such, but keep the scope wide enough to allow a solid running choice. The 1500 does have a size and heft disadvantage in some ways over the 1200, but even the 1100 is a decent choice if taken care of. The real Achilles heel of the 1200 is the charging system and that can be a royal pain in the posterior. Not insurmountable but real. Good luck and ask any questions you feel necessary, we're here to help.

Ron Robertson 08-16-2019 08:54 AM

Welcome to the GWOF
I agree with the above, I'd look for a good 1500. Might want to think about starting with something a little smaller and lighter at first, a gold wing can be a little intimidating if you haven't ridden in a while. Good luck on your search and I hope your are riding soon. I'd start out doing lots of Parking lot practice. Might check and see if the state offers a riding course.

SouthernOutlaw 08-16-2019 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luv2fish (Post 2209249)
Welcome from Northern Virginia. Good luck on your hunt but Iím curious why youíre restricting the quest to GL 1200s. Lots of other GWs out there right now.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve, The reason I am looking for a 1200 is I have owned three in the past. Always loved the bikes, and I guess you can say at 68 I am also trying to go back to a bike I really enjoyed riding. As far as looking for something smaller I don't think so. Actually the 1200 isn't a big bike compared to the last bike I had which was a Electra Glide Ultra which was always top heavy to me. After thinking about it for awhile I made up my nind that I am going with the 1200. My wife isn't going to be riding with me since she thinks I am far to old to be doing something silly like this.

Ron Robertson 08-16-2019 12:22 PM

At 68 your still a KID, I'm 78 and still riding when I get the chance.
Too bad your not close, I'm storing s 1200 for a friend that'
s been thinking about selling, I hasn't been ridden over two years.

NREMTP 08-16-2019 12:53 PM

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search.

budoka 08-16-2019 01:30 PM

Yup, while "age" does have some caveats that go along with it, most can be overcome and things just keep rolling along. Heck, I still love blasting around the race track and I'm over 60 (with lots of personal "mileage" to boot) in comparison to most of them "pups" that frequent that venue.

I really enjoyed my 1200i for a lot of years and a whack of long miles. Sure it had it's stator issues, but I got through it and that was well before we knew about the better repairs and prevention's that we have now.

SouthernOutlaw 08-16-2019 03:12 PM

Well, I plan on being around here, and other places, for a long time. Thanks to all for the greetings, so now I guess I will do a little reading and catch up on all the new stuff I have missed. Need to do some yard work, but it is 98 down here right now with a heat index of 107.

Ron Robertson 08-16-2019 03:22 PM

Don't over do it in that heat. Of course you knew that.:wink2: