Honda Goldwing Forums

Honda Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/)
-   Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/11-honda-goldwing-forum-general-discussion/)
-   -   Trike Rake Kit (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/11-honda-goldwing-forum-general-discussion/126945-trike-rake-kit.html)

alwims 08-15-2019 07:33 AM

Trike Rake Kit

Being new to a full-blown trike I've got a question to you trike owners or anyone for that matter. How can I tell if our new to us trike has a rake kit? First of all, it has been a trike since it had 1 mile on it according to the title. It's not hard to steer, but then I didn't think our red bike with the TowPac Insta-trike kit on it was either. Just seems like it takes a little more push-pull in a hard corner than I was expecting. I hear/read all these reports that a rake kit makes it like power steering. Are they blowing smoke or? Is there a measurement I can take to tell if the front end is raked?

dadztoy 08-15-2019 07:47 AM

Al,

Measure the distance from the leading point of the lower timing cover cowl to the rear-most surface of the front FENDER.
The distance on a stock OE 2001-2010 GL1800 will be right at 1.5 inches.
A Steering Angle/Trail modified (Triple-Tree changed) GL1800 will have an approx. 3-3.25 inch (depending on whether 4.5* or 6*) distance at that same point.
**For GEN II (2012 & Up)**
Measure from leading point of the lower timing cover cowl to the rear-most surface of the front TIRE.
The distance on a stock OE 2012 & Up GL1800 will be right at 1.375 inches.
Safe to assume that a Steering Angle/Trail modified (Triple-Tree changed) GEN II will add about 1.5-1.75 inches to make a the modified measurement approx. 3 inches as well.

Les

fossil92 08-15-2019 08:19 AM

Looks like Les has you fixed up. If you still have your other 1800, put them next to each other and you should be able to tell almost immediately if it has one.

Simple Dumb Plumber Solution :wink2:

By the way I personally have never felt the need to install one. I don't mind bulling the ole girl around (psst...not jaNice either). Having said that if I bought a trike that had a rake kit on it, I most likely would not take it off either.

budoka 08-15-2019 08:23 AM

Thanks for the measurements Les. That should help. Al, the manufacturer should be able to supply you with the rake information if a change was done. My 1500 trike had the "easy steer" on it and visually I really couldn't tell unless a non-modded bike was parked next to it.

alwims 08-15-2019 06:39 PM

The lady I got the trike from found the paperwork where they bought it and it does have a 5-degree rake kit on it. Thanks Les, for the measurement info. I did ride the 08 with the Tow Pac today just to see the difference and the 05 does steer a little easier.

dadztoy 08-17-2019 09:18 AM

Your welcome Al and congratulations on the full trike kit... I'm still riding my 2009 with Tow Pac conversion but maybe some day I'll go full trike as well...

Have fun and ride safe!!

Les

ETC 08-20-2019 07:16 AM

Just to clarify there is no such thing as a rake kit although that is the common misinterpretation. What it actually pertains to is a trail kit which is offset triple trees that change the fork tube angle from 29 degrees to 34 degrees or as miss claimed as 5 degree rake. To actually change rake would require cutting the headstock on the frame and changing the angle of the triple tree bearing stem which is the actual rake or caster angle. If you place an angle gauge on a stock fork tube it should read between 29 and 30 degrees if it has a trail kit then that number will be 5 degree more.

Normal trail on a Gl1800 is approximately 5.6 inches and a 5 degree rake kit would change this to something in the 3.5 inch area. Reduction of trail is what eases steering effort. Adding 5 degrees to the rake would actually increase steering effort by a substantial degree.

Sorry but I live in this world so miss used and incorrect descriptions bother me, sort of like near miss which is actually a collision. Anyway that's all I have to say about that :)

dadztoy 08-21-2019 12:41 AM

Thanks for the technical description, but most of us know that a rake kit really modifies trail... A true rake would involve re-positioning of the steering stem which of course is highly impractical unless you are building a bike from scratch... Guess you can blame the manufacturers of the kits as they refer to them as rake kits in their advertising... Just an FYI...

Chopin 08-21-2019 04:08 AM

Is this a good example of a rake ?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...aa26d4bf49.jpg

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

ETC 08-21-2019 06:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chopin (Post 2209743)
Is this a good example of a rake ?https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...aa26d4bf49.jpg

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk

Yes and it's interesting that Fonda actually built the Captain America bike and said it was virtually impossible to ride and Dennis Hopper actually hated motorcycles and said this was the worst part he ever did. :surprise: