Honda Goldwing Forums

Honda Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/)
-   Engine Work (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/18-engine-work/)
-   -   1986 Apencade 1200 starter sticks (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/18-engine-work/126409-1986-apencade-1200-starter-sticks.html)

Jim Tucker 06-17-2019 09:47 AM

1986 Apencade 1200 starter sticks

My 1986 Aspencade 1200 starter sticks. It begins to turn engine over to start but gets stuck. I can put it in gear & rock back & forth to get it unstuck then it will start normally. This is happening more often lately. Is it probably a starter problem or something more serious?

Mocchi 06-18-2019 07:23 PM

Hello Jim; Check the simple things first, make sure your battery and cables and the solenoid are up to par. Check the coolant level. Another possibility is that coolant is leaking into the cylinder when it is parked, causing a hydro-lock. rocking the engine in gear could be spinning the engine enough to open the exhaust valve. Any smoke when the bike starts under the above conditions?

Jim Tucker 06-19-2019 09:57 AM

It has been starting fine for the last few days. A friend listened to it & told me the solenoid is sticking so I'm going to try that first. Haven't noticed any smoke on startup. My mechanical ability can be stored in a very small box. Thanks for your time responding to my question.

budoka 06-19-2019 10:52 AM

The 1200 series were famous for smoking out the left cylinder bank after being parked warm and left to sit on the side stand overnight or a full cool down. Oil would get past the valve seals and smoke like crazy on startup. BMW inline K series were even worse. Not anything wrong with the engines, just how they were.
p.s. I think there is also a "starter clutch" that might be dragging. Some of the more mechanically minded 1200 folk may be able to confirm this.

NREMTP 06-19-2019 11:40 AM

Welcome to the forum, Jim and good luck with your bike.

Jim Tucker 06-19-2019 03:59 PM

Thanks for the info Bob. Maybe I should try parking it on the center stand & see if it helps.

Eric 06-20-2019 06:14 PM

If it starter is still spinning after releasing the starter button.....think solenoid.

Mocchi 06-20-2019 07:15 PM

I hope it is the solenoid for you, easy fix. However I don't know how rocking the engine would affect the solenoid to get the bike to start again, could just be luck. Please keep me posted.

Jim Tucker 06-21-2019 08:43 AM

Will do & thanks to all for the helpful tips.

JK McDonald 06-21-2019 08:05 PM

Sticking Starter -

Hey Jim - Did you inherit this "Sticking Starter" problem or have you owned the bike for a while ? This type problem on the early 4 cylinder bikes can be either a mechanical related problem (Starter Clutch - gummed up) or an electrical one (Starter Solenoid).

To help resolve a gummed up starter clutch - a relatively thin high quality detergent (example 10W-30 or 10W-40) motor oil can sometimes wash out the settled grime from the starter clutch roller pins and springs. In a worse case scenario - when a bike has been sitting for years - I've even used a 50/50 concoction of kerosene or diesel mixed with the oil in the crankcase for a (brief warm up) run on the center stand. Let if cool off - then after a couple more light warm up cycles on the center stand, drain the crankcase, install a new filter and change to your preferred motor oil. Just my opinion but I've found that my older wings do better with a little thicker (20W-40) oil for every day riding.

If you determine that the starter solenoid is the issue - take a close look at the part number - is it an OEM Honda part ? One precautionary comment, if you decide to replace the starter solenoid - there are LOTS of Chinese parts floating around the internet retailers. These $6 - $10 discount solenoids are often nothing but grief and can strand you in some parking lot or (even worse) off somewhere beside the road after a rest stop. Stay with the quality and reliability of a Honda part. Even a good used low mileage solenoid is better than a Chinese knock-off..... :)

Keep Us Posted and Good Luck - Michael