Honda Goldwing Forums

Honda Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/)
-   Recent Rides and Riding Experiences (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/10-recent-rides-riding-experiences/)
-   -   Shaking Off The Cobwebs - (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/10-recent-rides-riding-experiences/125705-shaking-off-cobwebs.html)

JK McDonald 03-28-2019 03:56 PM

Shaking Off The Cobwebs -

1 Attachment(s)
It's still a bit cool and early in the year but decided to spend a couple of days in the saddle to stretch my legs and do a little solo camping for a spring time equipment check.

It was a nice trip but boy am I out of shape, considering the modest 6 hour days. One thing is sure, even after a dose of industrial strength Ibuprofen, I'm turning into one hell-of-a weatherman. Especially when there is a full moon :) Thank goodness for my sleeping pad, backpacker's cot and extra thick sleeping bags. I've sold a couple of bikes so I'm back down to Ol' Beauford T Dudley for a while. Here is a photo of "The Dud"shaking off the cobwebs and heading for the laundry at the camp grounds.

Ride Safe Michael

Eric 03-29-2019 01:49 AM

I was surprised when I went to the USA to still see 1200 Goldwing out there touring. You do not see it over here. I am one of the last 1200 riders over here and it is good to see the old bikes on the road and I love seeing them being used. Keep up the good work.

JK McDonald 03-29-2019 01:53 PM

Runner Up -

1 Attachment(s)
Hey Eric - In the states there are lots of early 4 cylinder GW's still on the road but you often don't see them except when gathered at a bike show or motorcycle ralley. I've always liked the 1200 GW's because they're an excellent compromise of power, carrying capacity and price to be used as a modest Swiss Army Knife camping mobile. Plus - you can pick up a "Barn Find' complete parts bike for cheap if needed.

The "Dud" likes to relive his pioneer glory days and thinks he's a REAL trail blazer when heading through the mountains on a dirt logging road. There is actually quite a bit of competition around between these bikes on "Who's The Most Authentic Looking Cavalry Indian Scout".

Here's a photo of another want-to-be pioneer. Beuaford T Dudley likes to think this guy is only a close second. Don't want to hurt his feelings - But I don't know ??? :)

Has anyone seen any more rivals or runner ups ?
Ride Safe, Michael

jcsouders5464 03-29-2019 07:25 PM

Desert paddle rear tire and sand ski's on the front.

Eric 03-29-2019 10:36 PM

That 1200 looks like a cruise Mad Max bike.:surprise:

JK McDonald 03-30-2019 09:37 AM

Mad Max -

Hey Eric - Just as a joke, that IS a photo of a character vehicle from the Mad Max movies......:) He's just one of the rough and tumble buddies the "Dud" is kind of beginning to look like. Of course, in the real world a 4 cylinder GW is not practical as a serious dual purpose bike. Most agree that position is held by elite utility motorcycles like the BMW R 1200 GS.

The Dud is simply my inexpensive pack horse used when camping up in the mountains along the Lewis & Clark LoLo Trail. As long as my back holds up, I plan to enjoy stepping back to the times and places where life wasn't so complicated. :)

At the VFW one time I heard a hundred year old man comment "At this point of his life, if he ever wakes up feeling great and nothing hurts - he'll know he's dead". :)

Ride Safe - Michael