Honda Goldwing Forums

Honda Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/)
-   Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/11-honda-goldwing-forum-general-discussion/)
-   -   2008 Side emblem color? (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/11-honda-goldwing-forum-general-discussion/120593-2008-side-emblem-color.html)

ron203 03-12-2018 05:46 PM

2008 Side emblem color?
 
Hi folks. Possibly a dumb question here, if you please? My new-to-me 2008 has no emblem on either side cover and I'd like to replace them. Looks like the previous owner de-badged it. When I search the 'fiche(s) online, I see silver or gold. Which is the original color?

My bike (as best I can determine) is a GL 1800A, I think, because it only has a CB and radio, with no Nav system or heated grips (yet). I suspect it was a basic model, bought new for about $17,995 (from papers left in the topbox by the Previous owner). I could be wrong about that, too.

Like I said, possiby a dumb question, but I'll only need ask it once I hope. :wink2:

Thanks in advance!

Ron

budoka 03-12-2018 05:56 PM

Ron if you are referring to the "GOLDWING" lettering badge, it's a plastic chrome stick-on p/n 83605-MCA-A40

ron203 03-12-2018 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budoka (Post 2105841)
Ron if you are referring to the "GOLDWING" lettering badge, it's a plastic chrome stick-on p/n 83605-MCA-A40

I guess that's it. Couldn't really tell from the microfiche or web pictures of the bike.
Thank you!

823Jim 03-13-2018 07:20 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have a 2003 that is Candy Durango Red that has Gold emblems.
My brothers is an '04 Flared Red with chrome emblems.

I found the attached emblems on ebay and both say the are for '01 thru '14 GL1800. I don't know but could the emblems vary according to what color paint is on the bike.
The side emblems should match the emblem on the front of fairing unless that is missing too.

ron203 03-13-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 823Jim (Post 2106553)
I have a 2003 that is Candy Durango Red that has Gold emblems.
My brothers is an '04 Flared Red with chrome emblems.

I found the attached emblems on ebay and both say the are for '01 thru '14 GL1800. I don't know but could the emblems vary according to what color paint is on the bike.
The side emblems should match the emblem on the front of fairing unless that is missing too.

Very interesting. Thank you. There is no emblem on the front of the bike. Both side farings have brass screws in the mounting holes with nuts on the backside. It looks like the PO de-badged the bike. It's the dark maroon looking color. Either color would look okay, but the chrome might match the engine and guards more closely.

Judging by this page http://www.goldwingworld.com/pages/colors-2008.htm (it's the second of the three photos) all three models have the chrome emblem.

Any other theories out there?
(Thanks again to all!)

joe in calif 03-15-2018 02:37 PM

Both side farings have brass screws in the mounting holes with nuts on the backside.
If I remember correctly the emblems are stick on but they have pins to go in the holes so they are set properly.
AGAIN, that is IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY

Randy Hawes 03-15-2018 08:23 PM

Ron, I think this a personal choice issue. Unless you're restoring the bike for show and want to win more trophies with more historical accuracy, its your choice. Pick what you think looks best.

GetAway 03-16-2018 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ron203 (Post 2105833)
Hi folks. Possibly a dumb question here, if you please? My new-to-me 2008 has no emblem on either side cover and I'd like to replace them. Looks like the previous owner de-badged it. When I search the 'fiche(s) online, I see silver or gold. Which is the original color?

My bike (as best I can determine) is a GL 1800A, I think, because it only has a CB and radio, with no Nav system or heated grips (yet). I suspect it was a basic model, bought new for about $17,995 (from papers left in the topbox by the Previous owner). I could be wrong about that, too.

Like I said, possiby a dumb question, but I'll only need ask it once I hope. :wink2:

Thanks in advance!

Ron

My 08 is Pearl White with chrome Goldwing on the side covers.

ron203 03-24-2018 09:05 AM

Ok. Got the side emblems and front fairing lettering (all chrome) installed yesterday. IMHO, it looks great. The de-badged look was cool, too so I'm a little torn. But for now, the additions stay. Sort of like a hot chick with earrings vs none. LOL. I was concerned about the positioning of the front, but when I opened the package, the letters were in a cleverly designed two sided template that was cut to fit the scallop on the fairing to position the letters. Peel off the backing, position relative to the scallop on the template and fairing, then press the letters onto the fairing one by one. Perfect placement. Very thoughtful design of packaging by Honda. Done.

Thank you all for your input.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome