Honda Goldwing Forums

Honda Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/)
-   New Member Introductions (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/6-new-member-introductions/)
-   -   new to me Goldwing (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/6-new-member-introductions/119721-new-me-goldwing.html)

cbstrom 02-21-2018 05:39 PM

new to me Goldwing

Hello all,
suffering through a typical Canadian winter but last week finally took the plunge on a Goldwing. Bit of background: I've been riding a DL650 V Strom the last few years. Love the bike, suits me down to the ground, but my darling has found it increasingly uncomfortable on longer rides. Our last trip was a 2 week, 4000 km,(2500 mile), trip from Ontario to the Gaspé peninsula in Quebec last summer. Lovey arrived home pretty much shattered. Since I wish for us to continue riding together on long trips I have researched bigger bikes to death, and have realized that I am old enough, fat enough, and just barely moneyed enough to justify one of these amazing machines. Been looking at various bikes; last week I bought a 2006 gl1800 with navigation and comfort package, with 26000kms, (about 16000 miles).

So, questions: bike is pretty much stock. What additions do I need to invest in? Specifically heel/toe shifter/running boards; what say the forum? I think luggage liners are a given. Anything else? Limited budget but want the first trip to blow Lovey away.

This forum seems to be the go-to Goldwing site. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers,
Chris from Ontario,Canada

823Jim 02-21-2018 06:10 PM

Hello and welcome to the forum from Michigan.:Wave:

As far as extras to add to the new to you bike I really like my Baker Air Wings. Also some highway pegs for you and Transformer passenger floor boards for her. Not a big fan of heal/toe shifters and driver floor boards, but to each their own.

Ride safely, you will love the comfort of the 'Wing.

Behind bars 02-21-2018 07:09 PM

Welcome from Va.

Highway pegs are a must. Not a lot of good reviews from those who use the heel-toe shifter.
Handlebar risers help with the shoulder pain on a long ride.
Air Deflector.
Fog or driving lights.
We can keep going but whatever makes it comfy.
Check and see what maintenance has been done. Always good to check the air filter. Bought my 06 with low miles and found a mouse nest in the filter.

dsurley 02-21-2018 08:48 PM

arm rests with the built in cup holder for the wifey

A back rest for you when you are driving alone.... some complain that if the driver back rest is on, it limits the passenger room... but that depends on the type you get

Two Wheel Wing 02-21-2018 09:08 PM

Welcome from Pennsylvania.

VIBlackfish 02-21-2018 10:14 PM

Welcome from Vancouver Island. I got my first wing bar in Aug. I have add LED' on the rear and a belly pan. Have LED headlights on order.

Randy Hawes 02-22-2018 01:28 AM

2 people/2 weeks/2500 miles on a 650 V-Strom?!?!?! Damn right you need a Goldwing!!!!

When buying accessories, be sure you're buying for your '06 year. Most, but not all accessories made for pre-'06 will fit. Most of us frequently buy from Wing Stuff, a forum sponsor. I'll also buy from my local dealer where GWRRA members get a 10% discount and no shipping. And I'll also buy from the local dealer if they are going to install it for me (another discount).

Passenger arm rests with a cup holder are a must have. The most popular comes from Kury. Also from Kury, the Transformer passenger floor board gives the passenger an extra seating position. They're almost highway pegs for the back seat.

A lot of what you'll buy for yourself, will depend on your build and height, and your wants and needs. For things like highway pegs and bar risers, ride the bike for a while before you buy so you'll have a better idea of what you need to suit you. I don't use highway pegs because of knee and hip issues.

But the most common items will start with wind protection. I prefer the full line of Baker Air Wings. They even reduce the buffeting for the passenger. I like heel-and-toe shifters, but if you wear insulated boots for riding in Canada, the boots may be too long to fit comfortably in the shifter. You might have to angle your toes outward. A cup holder for you is another must have. I use a Butler holder, but the Butler cup (to me) is a waste.

No doubt you're going to buy a lot more, but most of that will depend on personal preference and what the bike already has. We probably have a couple thousand years of combined experience here, so don't be shy. Ask any and all questions. The only dumb questions will be the ones you didn't ask. And we occasionally come up with some dumb answers, too.

Welcome to the forum, Chris.

Eric 02-22-2018 02:31 AM

Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Sounds like a great bike congratulations on your new to you goldwing.

fossil92 02-22-2018 04:51 AM

You've gotten some great ideas from the guys and are sure on your way. My list in order of importance would be as follows:

1) Highway Pegs (for you)
2) Backrest (for you) At this point a guy is pushing it so......
3) Arm rests (for Lovey)
4) Baker Wings - Hands/Legs (for both of you)
5) Communication System if you don't already have it
6) Cup holders are nice

On one final note, can you post some pics of the new ride and the Vstrom (I have always had a crush on them)? We like photos here and Welcome to the GWOF from PA.

superdave1120 02-22-2018 08:14 AM

Welcome from the northern tier of PA. I would recommend a back rest, highway pegs, heel/toe shifter, foot boards for you and passegner, and passenger arm rests. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.