Honda Goldwing Forums

Honda Goldwing Forums (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/)
-   Honda Goldwing Forum General Discussion (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/11-honda-goldwing-forum-general-discussion/)
-   -   Sena 20S (https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums/11-honda-goldwing-forum-general-discussion/118793-sena-20s.html)

BigDaddy 01-21-2018 04:03 PM

Sena 20S

Im thinking about investing in the Sena 20S for my wing. What do I need to bluetooth the bike?

Here is the kit I am thinking about, but am wondering what else I need to get for the bike to make it compatible.
https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...dset-dual-pack

I should add that I do not use my CB, but I do use a Garmin660, and my phone for google maps, and my iTunes. So I would like to be able to use all of them at the same time. I see there is another post about this same topic, so if the mods want to delete this one, thats fine. Is the freeware the only thing I need for the bike? And what about batteries? I have read somewhere that he charges a set while using the ones in the unit???

budoka 01-22-2018 10:15 AM

Not 100% sure but I think you will need the Freewire

edmKC 01-22-2018 12:26 PM

If you don't care about your CB, then you could get the SM10 dual stream transmitter. It will let both you and Sue hear the bike's audio, and I believe it's a little less expensive than the Freewire. We have one and it works fine with our SMH10 headsets. We don't have a CB (well, I have one in a box...) so so far we don't need the Freewire.

Special Wing 01-22-2018 09:32 PM

This motovog by Goldwing rider out of Memphis has several you tube videos about using Sena 20s and FireWire

budoka 01-23-2018 12:17 PM

One of our members reported recently that the S20 had poor battery performance. Anybody noticed this?

BigDaddy 01-23-2018 06:12 PM

I didn't realize you need 2 freewires?? One for me, and one for the passenger???

Special Wing 01-23-2018 09:40 PM

I calculated it is just under $1000 to use Sena 20s x 2 and Freewire x2.

Not inexpensive to go Bluetooth and use all the audio of Wing.

There are several more videos out there that show in detail how to install it all.

edmKC 01-23-2018 10:47 PM

2 Freewires or one SM10, but then you wouldn't be able to use CB.

Don't mean to hijack, but if there's anyone using SM10 and has a CB: can you hear the CB audio through the bikes audio? I know you can't Tx but what about Rx?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Slygrin 01-24-2018 11:19 AM

I have 2 S20s and 2 Freewires. Works great. Sound quality is good, actually better than the wired system I had before. I haven't timed the battery life, but in my usage, it lasts a week or so. I have the Freewires powered from the bike and just keep watch on the S20 batteries.

HappyTrails 01-24-2018 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budoka (Post 2075977)
One of our members reported recently that the S20 had poor battery performance. Anybody noticed this?

Have used mine for maybe a year now and seems ok. Haven't run out of juice so far. I take a battery tank with me so could use that in a pinch. No complaints about the 20s really other than I wish it could handle another device.

Luv2fish 01-25-2018 05:24 AM

I've used mine on quite a few 10 hour days, chatting constantly with the wife and listening to music, and never had any battery issues. The only time I've had any battery issues is when I've forgotten to turn it off after a short ride and don't get back to it for a couple of days. I also carry a supplemental USB battery that I use for whatever device runs low (Sena, phone, iPod, etc). Works great! It also has two USB ports and I've used it to charge two devices while in the hotel, while it is plugged in recharging itself.

Steve

namelama 01-28-2018 10:46 AM

Good morning All! Last year, 15 of us took a trip to Sturgis and not everyone had Sena products. I was one of two wings (08 Level III) and I purchased the Freewire + S20 for the trip. IMO, Sena is probably the best wireless product out there for the money and that's not cheap. However, I found it difficult to program except to use my IPhone or speak to a couple of the other riders in the group with the same product. I'll be selling my Freewire + S20 shortly because I went back to the J&M product where I can do the same hardwired and everything works to communicate my helmet. That was not cheap either. For what it's worth, wireless is very comfortable and battery charge is sufficient. I even hardwired electrical power to my Freewire so that I didn't have to worry about charging it and the S20 stayed on my helmet and I charged it in the hotel overnight. It worked fine. I don't normally post but I lurk around often reading the posts and I wish someone would have saved me the money. That's why I'm posting this and if someone wants to go wireless, I have the one time use of the products and will post the sale shortly. My 2 cents.

VIBlackfish 01-28-2018 05:02 PM

Namelama I will send you a PM

slowrollin 01-28-2018 07:16 PM

I don't use a Garmin, but I use the 20S and a Freewire. I believe everything you need will come with the 20S.

Dilltm 01-28-2018 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slygrin (Post 2076505)
I have 2 S20s and 2 Freewires. Works great. Sound quality is good, actually better than the wired system I had before. I haven't timed the battery life, but in my usage, it lasts a week or so. I have the Freewires powered from the bike and just keep watch on the S20 batteries.

The S20 has an internal lithium battery and is charged with a USB chord. Same chord as my Samsung S7 cell phone.

bryanw1 01-31-2018 07:30 PM

I havenít used the Sena units but I know a lot do. I just got helmets back from J&M with their BT units installed. I donít have the dongle (equivalent to the free wire) yet because they are just being released. But the headsets are really good. Noise canceling is excellent, both for phone and intercom. The other party has no idea youíre on a bike. Only 1 dongle is needed vs. 2 freewires, but the cost is about the same.

I should have the dongle installed soon and can report on it if anyone is interested.

budoka 02-01-2018 08:28 AM

Ordered mine yesterday, should be here in a couple days. Then the "learning" begins. I may just use them as a com system for herself and I and hold off on the Freewire to see how things work out come July when we head for Wyoming.

edmKC 02-01-2018 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budoka (Post 2079985)
Ordered mine yesterday, should be here in a couple days. Then the "learning" begins. I may just use them as a com system for herself and I and hold off on the Freewire to see how things work out come July when we head for Wyoming.

Right on. You'll be done with the cord issues that plagued you.

Suggestion: pack a power bar. It makes it a snap being able to charge headsets and phones all at once when you get to the hotel. There never seems to be enough outlets.

Luv2fish 02-01-2018 04:22 PM

I use one of those remote USB battery packs. Mine has two USB slots to charge my phone or Sena headsets when Iím away from power. In the hotel I plug it into a wall and then plug the two headsets into the charger. Works double duty. Iíve also put it in the side pocket with my SMH10 (now a Freewire) when I forgot it on the bike and left it on. Iíve tried wiring the Freewire to my bike but I get feedback from the bike so I just opted for this remote battery in the remote chance I have a dead Sena device. Iíve ridden 12 plus hours and not had one go dead on me.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jinx 02-02-2018 04:52 AM

I have two Sena SMH10s which I charge from a 5V 10A usb power supply I hardwired to the bike. One SMH10 is always on the charger if not being used by the passenger. I have the option of leaving the SMH10 24/7 or just when the bike is running. In all the time , about 5 years , that I have had this setup I have never had battery issues with the bike or senas. The this setup I can charge my phone,GPS,Senas, Garmin Virb camera, and anything else that needs a 5V source for
charging.

Also there is a mod on the internet that allows you to use a Sena SMH10 to interface to the bike . This mod allows you to use the CB as well as all the other features of the wings infotainment system.

jtdunc 02-11-2018 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budoka (Post 2075977)

I commute to work daily on my bike with a Sena 20S EVO rockin the radio, YouTube videos, MP3 tracks and making phone calls an hour plus daily and only need to recharge every two weeks.

No problem at all but you can charge while you ride - I just like being tethered.