Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

After almost 6,000 miles

5K views 26 replies 17 participants last post by  tisunac 
#1 ·
I have put on around 6,000 miles on the new 1800, and I am not getting any more comfortable, especially 2 up. Even with almost all the air out of the suspension, I am having a real hard time touching the ground. I am on my tip toes all the time. I have tried several different ways to come to a stop, but nothing is working. The bike feels so much more top heavy then my 1500. Sue said it best tonight after a short ride, "it seems like you feel clumsy on this bike". I know this has been beat to death, but what are my options to get my feet more flat on the ground. I don't think I need to be flat footed, but I need something. After 6,000 miles, I should feel better on the bike..:crying:

#2 ·
Darren, first, get rid of that rear tire, it makes your legs shorter.

Now seriously. Google "how to lower a Goldwing 1800" and you will find a bunch of different ideas, brackets, thingamajiggies, etc to get your feet back on the ground. Flatter like. I was issued a longer set of legs so I don't have the same problem that you do, but fortunately you can modify the bike some to help you out.

The bike may feel more top heavy to you than your 1500. It is a totally different bike. It is something you will need to get used to and hopefully by getting the bike a little lower to the ground you will get used to it faster.

I read some of the web results of what I posted for you and there seemed to be some good info there, hope it helps you out.!!

#3 ·
BD, I think it's all going to be like Tom says, getting used to it. Keep one thing in mind that even though you have logged almost 6000 miles at least one or maybe 2 have been IB runs so you were pretty much blazing a trail not really handling the bike. Get out and do some low speed maneuvers in a parking lot or other wide open area and put the bike through it's paces. That I'm sure will help.

#6 ·
D, a bit drastic but not very expensive is to remove some of the padding in your bike's seat. You can probably do it yourself. If not, most upholstery shops can do this and still use the original cover.

#10 ·
Darren, I've got a little bit of the same problem and I've seriously been thinking about pulling the vinyl back and trimming some of the width of the seat away. I went from a custom seat on our 1200 to the stock seat of the 1800 and that was the first thing I noticed that the 1800 seat was wider. Even Carol has said that about her seat. I did buy a seat made for a different person and at first is was great, but it didn't grow on me so I sold it. Us bigger short legged guys don't need to be spread apart as far as Honda think we do. :grin2:

#12 ·
Well, I went out for while today, and just rode around town, trying different things. I have done the leaning to one side when coming to a stop, and that does work, "most" of the time. If I do anything, it will be with the seat. I will either have some foam taken out of the stock seat, or maybe look for an aftermarket seat. I did figure out some one thing that was making me uneasy when coming to a stop. It may not be right, but it helped me. When coming to a stop sign, or an intersection, and don't have to come to a complete stop, I don't down shift all the way to 1st gear. I have noticed that the gearing on the 1800 is a little different then the 1500. I don't know how to explain it, other then 1st gear on the 1800, is geared lower? I can't stay in 1st very long at all, other wise it gets real jerky. If I am coming to a complete stop, I am going to work on the leaning to the left, until I am completely stopped.

#13 ·
BD like several have said, it's going to take time, a lot of stop and go practice before you'll get the hang of this heavy bike. I'm short and can stand flat footed. Flat footed with one foot only, the left foot.

When coming to a full stop I sit forward on the seat so my leg has more length because the front of the seat isn't as wide as the middle or rearward part of the seat.

Do several slow speed U turns both to the left and right getting use to the weight.

I've logged 11000 miles on my wing and it's getting more comfortable for me.

#15 ·
Darren, is the seat comfortable as is for long rides? If it is, try removing foam from the front area only.....that area where your thigh goes of the set and down to the pegs. But keep that comfortable riding zone.

Do you wear boots with thick soles. I think last year we had a rider with similar issues and simply got boots with thicker soles. I think he also used an insert of some kind under the heel.

There is a kit available to actually lower the bike. The website is http://www.lowerwingproducts.com/ The website has mounting instructions, pricing, and a warning about the effect on corner handling. This would be my last choice.

#16 ·
I have a new 2016 and have a 29 inch inseam. I do fine when solo but find more of a challenge when two up. I find I shift forward when coming to a stop so I get both feet down. I put both feet out, using the front brake only to come to a full stop. My biggest concern is stopping on ground that is sloped to the left. At a gas station that was left sloped, I put the side stand down, filled the tank, then almost could not get the bike up off the side stand. I've only put about 800 miles on the GW so far, and hope with time and miles to get more confident.

#17 ·
1. Car tire on rear will lower it some.
2. New seat, more like a saddle, Corbin, for one.
3. You want that baby leaning on the kick stand. Mine was way too upright, most of the time and I modified the kick stand with some washers to make it lean more. I'd rather have to ask a passerby for assistance getting it off the kickstand than up off the ground when it blows over.

#18 ·
Darren, I will agree that eh 1500 "feels" lower when riding compared to the 1800. But it does become far more nimble once the technique is acquired. It's for sure a matter of confidence and trusting in the bike to go where you look. Make sure you're looking where you want to go and not where you are at. Slow speed maneuvers and practice, practice, practice.

Reactions: alwims
#20 ·
Really weird to me Darren, I find my old 1500 sat a lot higher then my 1800. I'm fortunate that I'm taller and sit flat foot when I stop on both bikes.

#24 ·
Contact Rick Butler, he's doing seat mods. He can shave your seat to have less spread upfront and to sit deeper into the seat. That will certainly help. He's very good and his services are affordable. He did my seat on a Venture and did a great job.
I have two emails for him, not sure which one is right, you can try both:

buttbutler@verizon.net

rick_butler@verizon.net

Good luck!...

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.