Honda Goldwing Forums - Reply to Topic
Thread: When do you decide weather is not conducive to riding? Reply to Thread
Title:
Message:
Trackback:
Send Trackbacks to (Separate multiple URLs with spaces) :
Post Icons
You may choose an icon for your message from the following list:
 

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










  Additional Options
Miscellaneous Options

  Topic Review (Newest First)
06-24-2018 02:41 PM
fossil92 I actually think all of Montana is gorgeous.

We lived at a radar base outside of Lewistown back in the early 70's

I love visiting Montana

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
06-24-2018 02:12 PM
Pamtha
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
Yes we rode the Canyon on our way into Cody in 2015 for the M&G that was there. It's absolutely stunning one of my favorite rides.

I was going to add to my previous reply about alternate routes not really being feasible but decided not to. But then you said it by to he time I posted.



That's beautiful country that you live in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I phoned the owner when he said he was going to be home and told him I was concerned with riding the bike in heavy rains and through Wind river canyon. He said he was glad I called because it is pouring there and he didn't think it was safe either. He's going up on a little vacation for the next week/week and a half so he'll call me when he's back and we will reschedule.

Oh, the area we live in, Big Horn County is not beautiful except at the base of the Big Horns. My mother in law aptly describes this area as 'desolate' and that is probably the best description I've heard. Not as bad as North Dakota but other than the mountains, not pretty by any stretch of the imagination. I truly miss the variety of trees in Kansas and the colors in the fall. Out here Russian Olives are taking over everywhere, pushing out native species of trees.
06-24-2018 01:08 PM
fossil92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamtha View Post
Sounds like you are familiar with Wind River Canyon. I'm confident it will still be there later in the week.
Yes we rode the Canyon on our way into Cody in 2015 for the M&G that was there. It's absolutely stunning one of my favorite rides.

I was going to add to my previous reply about alternate routes not really being feasible but decided not to. But then you said it by to he time I posted.



That's beautiful country that you live in.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
06-24-2018 12:25 PM
Pamtha
Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
I would not want to be riding a new to me bike in Wind River Canyon in those conditions. As @Boodad said if it isn't there afterwards then it is one of those things.


Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Sounds like you are familiar with Wind River Canyon. I'm confident it will still be there later in the week.
06-24-2018 11:38 AM
fossil92 I would not want to be riding a new to me bike in Wind River Canyon in those conditions. As @Boodad said if it isn't there afterwards then it is one of those things.


Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
06-24-2018 11:38 AM
Pamtha
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boodad View Post
If alternative routes are not an option, itís better to err on the side of caution and try again later. If the 1500 is not available after today, then it wasnít to be.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
The alternative routes around Wind River Canyon would add at least another 2 hrs each way. There is no way to go around the areas with the flood warning.
06-24-2018 11:18 AM
Boodad If alternative routes are not an option, itís better to err on the side of caution and try again later. If the 1500 is not available after today, then it wasnít to be.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
06-24-2018 11:13 AM
Pamtha
When do you decide weather is not conducive to riding?

We are supposed to go look at 1500 today but there has been a lot of rain in the direction we would be going and the last hour to an hour 1/2 ride is in an area that has an areal flood warning. I was planning on riding the motorcycle back if we decided to buy it. A bigger concern, if any of you are familiar with Wind River Canyon between Shoshoni and Thermopolis, there are reports of falling rock which always worse and has actually killed motorists when the rocks have fallen down into the highway. I can only imagine it's a lot scarier for a person on a motorcycle. Anyway, I'm thinking about calling to postpone going down to see the bike. It's an 8 hr round trip and I don't wan to make it twice. Thoughts?

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome