Hello, Goldwing Owners! - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 10:20 AM Thread Starter

Hello, Goldwing Owners!

Hello members,

I'd like to introduce myself to the group here. I'm Ed Davis, owner and founder of EdSets. Over the last 14 years, we've been part of the Goldwing community, and prior to that, and almost ashamed to admit it, I was rolling on a Briggs & Stratton 3.5HP 'crotch rocket', purchased by my dad from the Aldens Catalog right about the time Kennedy was assasinated, and if I recall I was in 4th grade.

On that majestic 'motorcycle', I had a small American flag on the rear, some lights I rigged myself, and OF COURSE, a ball cap with a 'headband' crystal radio and a dual-mono earplug setup. Don't even ask!

I exposed the wiring in the hatband through a cutout in the front of the cap so I could tune the radio. It only got WBAM out of Montgomery, Alabama, but it was enough. I rode that little minibike from Louisville to Clayton, about 12 miles, and spent weekends with my friend, and of course his sister who I had a secret crush on... Those were the days!

Once a geek, always a geek. 28 years doing electronics research for the USAF in Dayton Ohio expanded my education just a bit, and three engineering degrees later, I began tinkering with headsets, and a couple years later I had a new Goldwing 1800 to play them with.

EdSets was born in 2001 when none of the headsets offered had decent quality and performance, and because of that and the fact that I had access to a fantastic surplus electronics vendor in Dayton called Mendelsons, we were soon making EdSets by hand off the kitchen table, where we occasionally ate dinner as well. My goal was to sell enough of them on eBay to buy a new camera for our next vacation.

I never realized what I'd done at first...word of mouth spread quickly and people were calling and emailing me daily inside a month, and most would not take 'no' for an answer. My choices were to start a business, or move to Peru and go into hiding, it seemed. I do not live in Peru now.

20 hour days are not healthy, and we had the good fortune to hook up with Dayton's 'Cables to Go', and started using professionally molded coiled cables, and we kept finding sources and partners so that we could focus on design, performance and fitment and let someone else mold the plastics for the cables.

We are now in the 3rd generation of our headset design, and have found over 10,000 like minded customers that will use nothing but EdSets. We even sent our gear out with WheezyRider, aka Peter Sever on a 3-year, 37-country WORLD WIDE tour. Peter noted after the trip on his blog (wheezyrider.com) that J&M Elites headsets were:

"...not meant for real conversation, and I mistakenly blamed Honda for the poor performance, until I began using EdSets..."

As a guitar player (depending on who you talk to!) and an engineer, good sound is not something you should ever compromise on. That's why we stick with studio quality microphone elements, high performance speakers, and gold plated contacts.

It really does not cost but a bit more to have the best. We began using 'mission essential' wire in our cables in the second generation cables, refined it and now use it in our 3G headsets. NASA and medical technology were the cues that led us to our use of 3M Dual Lock and non-stress tinsel wire. That is the reason we offer a 3-year warranty, unconditional, because our warranty costs/losses at EdSets are not even enough to pay for a coffee fund in any given month.

Unlike many vendors, we sell only what we design and manufacture. We don't sell third party gear as a rule. That's largely because we have always been a research and development company that happens to focus on motorcycle audio gear.

We are also more of a 'factory outlet', meaning we don't use dealers in general to sell our gear. We prefer to keep our customer support and your experience within our own reach so we can make sure you're always good-to-go with your gear and our service. We even encourage clubs and groups to pool their purchases and earn the same discounts as dealers would normally get. Selling direct has several advantages, not the lest of which is better communication, support and economy.

As an expression of our commitment to GoldWingOwners.com, we're proud to offer everyone limited time 10% discount on orders over $100.00 to you all. This discount will expire on May 1, 2013. To use the discount, just type 'GWO2013' into the Coupon Code during checkout. That's all there is to it.

You can call and speak to Ed any time between 9-5:30 Eastern at (937)271-4077, or by sending mail to [email protected].

Thanks for reading, and for the opportunity to assist members here on anything related to headsets, cell phone integration, and more.

Glad to be here,

Ed Davis

Last edited by EdSets; 03-29-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

One of my first posts after the ridiculous introduction (no idea it was that big!) is to offer some tech info that may help many of you troubleshoot your headset gear and understand some of the pin diagrams, etc.

A basic headset troubleshooting guide:
http://www.edsets.com/EdSets_3G_Testing_Guide.pdf

Wind Noise Explained and cured:
http://www.edsets.com/page.php?page=windnoise.htm
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

We are developing several new products and want your input on them.

1. Condenser mic for Goldwing. Currently, Honda, Yamaha, and older Kawasaki bikes use dynamic mics, and all other bikes use the same basic dynamic mic technology, but with a pre-amplifier in the headset. For the Goldwing in particular the motivation to use a condenser mic is mostly the size of it. In tight conditions, a dynamic can be too bulky. The performance of the two is very different, as dynamics are far more natural sounding than condensers, but sometimes size is everything. We are designing a simple kit that will use a condenser mic and it will be biased (it is not powered) by 2V DC derived from the left pocket power connector.

2. Many microphone splitters were copied after our original MicSplit cable. The cable works great, but some Garmin 600 series GPS have very low voice output to the cell phone, and on some cases the phone itself makes that even lower because of the Bluetooth firmware 'coordination' between the phone and GPS. We think we've got it licked, but it will be electronics based and not just with a transformer, which can induce more radiated engine noise into the mix.

3. A straight up wired cell phone cable with a small amount of electronics to allow you to use the phone from the helmet while listening to the bike's array of audio. We can get fancy and more expensive with an auto-mute for when the phone rings to be answered, or we can just press the mute button on the left handlebar. What would your preference be?

4. A more elaborate cell phone integration via Bluetooth. In both cases (3. above, and this one) the phone can be mounted on the handlebars in a RAM cradle, and you interact with it like you would a GPS. This one will allow us to boost the power coming up to the helmet since re-amplification is necessary for the cell input to coexist. So...with more power we can use a more powerful speaker....see #5 below:

5. Surprise! We've got a new speaker coming out. Our current speakers are outstanding, thin, light and easy to put in any helmet. The new ones have even more punch with the stock Goldwing, and these speakers will take it to a new level of very high efficiency and a big increase in sound pressure levels, so we advise wearing earplugs when using them. Heck, you should always use cheap earplugs anyway. These speakers will punch through the earplugs and your music will sound better than your car's stereo on the highway.

That's it for now, I welcome any comments. We really are a 'made by riders FOR riders' company.

Ed

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Lifetime Premium

Well, ED; Welcome to the Forum. You make me wish we needed new Head/Edsets. Ours are too new to replace at his time.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 03:23 PM Thread Starter

Ron, I noticed you had not colored in Georgia...that's where we are. We gotta fix that!

Ed
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-29-2013, 07:29 PM
Lifetime Premium

If I'm gonna do it, it had better be soon, I'm getting a little long in the tooth.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-16-2013, 12:36 PM

Send a message via AIM to jfredman Send a message via Skype™ to jfredman
Received my first set of EdSets yesterday and installed them last night. Having some positioning issues that are are a result of my not fully thinking ahead on the installation, but installation was easy and WOW am I impressed. Even though I need to tweak the speaker position a little bit, I had the radio about 5 notches lower than usual on the way to work this morning.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 06-22-2014, 06:52 PM

Hi Ed,

Do you have a discount for 2014? I am considering Edsets over the J&M ones I have been using in my Open Face Shoei. However, I have also been told that the edsets aren't loud because of the way they are set in this helmet, which is deep. I use the headsets on the GL1800 for intercom, cb, and listening to the radio. Do the new 3G edsets work differently than the 2013 models?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-2017, 05:20 AM

Ed, you have not posted since 2013?

2016 Candy Red GL 1800,level 1.
Bought new on 8-24-17,miles=5,800.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 10:39 AM

EdSets

From what I hear Ed hasn't posted here since 2013 because the Forum owners wouldn't let him post without paying. He wasn't trying to get free advertising but was answering a poster's specific question. So, he stopped posting here.

They are still in business though. and I just put down money to buy a new Edsets 3G Headset while they are running there Christmas sale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcuda View Post
Ed, you have not posted since 2013?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode