Sioux Ride - Honda Goldwing Forums
 15Likes

post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:43 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Sioux Ride

Returned from a ride with my son and son-in-law on Friday, July 5th. My son started from Phoenix on his 2012 Ducati Multistrada, used to be mine, to my home here in northwest New Mexico. We left the next morning for Denver to join up with my son-in-law who just purchased a 2018 Goldwing Tour manual. On the way to Denver we went over Cumbres Pass north of Chama, New Mexico. Sad to say but the bark beetles have gotten over into those woods also in just the last year. The next day the three of us left for Caspar, Wyoming. Just south of Estes Park, Colorado two mountain sheep rams burst out of some woods, I was in the lead, and I got to test the brakes on my 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT. After I got my heart beat back to normal we continued on.

The next day was an easy ride to Buffalo, Wyoming. We visited the Fort Phil Kearney site 20 miles north of town. Back in December 1867 a Major Fetterman went after a decoy of Sioux warriors and ended up in the middle of an estimated 1000 warriors. Needless to say he and his entire command of 87 soldiers were wiped out. For several months before the massacre he had been boasting that he could conquer the whole Sioux nation with just one company of cavalry.

We left out of Buffalo the next morning heading towards Billings, Montana. When we got to Dayton, Wyoming we turned west on US 14 over the Bighorn Mountains. At about 6,500 feet we went into a cloud bank. Visibility was no more than a hundred feet making us slow to 25 mph. Higher up it cleared off some but there was a black wall coming up so we stopped and suited up. We were in torrential rain then hail with strong cross winds at the 8,200 foot summit. The son-in-law thought this was the best part of the trip.

The next morning we visited the Little Bighorn battlefield. The U.S. government sure makes a lot of money on one of the biggest military blunders in U.S. history. We were chased by severe thunderstorms all the way down to the Black Hills. They caught up with us while eating dinner at Custer, South Dakota. Rode the last 14 miles to Hill City in a light rain without bothering to suit up.

On to North Platte, Nebraska the next day. This part of the country is where seldom is still heard. Ranches and an occasional farm dotted the landscape going through the Sand Hills of the state.

On the final day we rode on highway U.S. 30 to Julesburg, Colorado where we found the Fort Sedgewick museum closed for another two hours. Decided to jump onto Interstate 76 and make a dash into Denver. Pulled into the daughter's home around 3 PM.

The next day the son and I rode the fastest, shortest route back to Farmington, New Mexico. Then he left for Phoenix early the next day to get home before it hit 108 degrees.

We had a joyful time. The motorcycles performed flawlessly except for a nail in the rear tire that caused a flat on the Ducati, it was successfully plugged. The Cardo Packtalks the three of us had turned the ride into one of fellowship between us. It also made it safer and more efficient. Both of them are already talking about another one next year. They have to go back to work though to keep paying those Social Security taxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sioux Ride 6-28-2019.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	264005   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sioux Ride 6-29-2019-02.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	59.1 KB
ID:	264007   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sioux Ride 6-30-2019-01.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	264009   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sioux Ride 7-1-2019-01.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	37.7 KB
ID:	264011  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

Garage
More photos along the way.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sioux Ride 7-2-2019-01.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	264013   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sioux Ride 7-2-2019-02.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	264015   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sioux Ride 7-3-2019-01.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	264017   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sioux Ride 7-3-2019-03.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	264019   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sioux Ride 7-3-2019-04.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	264021  

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2019, 08:02 PM
Lifetime Premium

Sounds like a fun ride.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
That looks like it was an awesome time....Nice Duc.

A family get together that you all will keep in the memory book.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 05:59 AM

Garage
Sounds like a good ride, thanks for sharing

Retired US Army Soldier
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 06:09 AM

Great ride and sounds like some great family times.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2019, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Garage
Great stuff! I love that area.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 12:10 AM

Hey, Guys. Did you see this? DesertRat is considering setting up an M&G for next year and bringing his son and son-in-law. Maybe this could be celebrating the anniversary of "Cody, Cody, Cody, 2015"

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 09:52 AM

Looks like y'all had a great trip. Did you sit down for a beer at the Occidental bar in Buffalo?

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-12-2019, 10:54 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by crownfire View Post
Looks like y'all had a great trip. Did you sit down for a beer at the Occidental bar in Buffalo?
No, but we did eat lunch in the adjacent restaurant, newly opened. After lunch we wandered through the hotel and the bar sightseeing. Mounted the motorcycles for the ride up to the Fort Phil Kearny state park then back to town to check into the motel. By then thunderstorms were menacing the town so we headed for the Winchester Restaurant where we had dinner and sat out the storm. The lights flickered several times during dinner. We met a couple on a 2012 (?) Goldwing at the motel who had clocked 15,000 on it since April. The rider said they were heading back to Michigan after touring most of the west, even going up to Alaska. He had a luggage rack attached to a trailer hitch on the back so if anyone on this site who knows them I can vouch that they at least made it to Buffalo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode