ISO long trip advice. - Honda Goldwing Forums
 29Likes

post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

ISO long trip advice.

I'm planning on making my first 2,000 mile round trip with my teenager as passenger before too long. What can I do so I'm not walking around like someone who has been in the saddle to long. Others have mentioned sheepskin, a hammock saddle (not in my price range). gel pad, the airhawk or wearing padded bicycle shorts. What advice do you have for us to be as comfortable and as safe as possible on a long ride? I'm going to be riding a 1989 GL1500.
Thanks!

Last edited by Pamtha; 07-10-2018 at 07:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 06:36 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
My 1st thoughts are your model year you posted is incorrect. Not a big deal because we know but the 1500 was introduced in 1988

Now for the other details, I would say the absolute best thing you can do is to take frequent breaks. Start out by stopping between 50-75 miles at 1st, even if all you do is get off stretch walk around for a few minutes then head back out. Build up a quickly as you feel you can to 100-150 miles and that should help a lot.

There are many folks who ride tank to tank and we have done it ourselves but a great percentage of people stop every 100-150 miles anyway to take a short break.

When we did our Iron Butt run, we stopped between 100-130 miles for fuel, drinks, and restrooms.

That was 1143 miles in less than 22 hrs and made it possible by stopping that frequently.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Luv2fish likes this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

Last edited by fossil92; 07-10-2018 at 06:42 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 07:06 PM Thread Starter

[QUOTE=fossil92;2156977]My 1st thoughts are your model year you posted is incorrect. Not a big deal because we know but the 1500 was introduced in 1988

You are absolutely right. I'm getting my Virago year mixed up with my Goldwing. I shall fix that. :-)

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 07:23 PM

Garage
For me... .the key is comfy gear and helmet and then the foot pegs to be able to shift around from time to time.

On my 1500 I did 750 miles in one day.......375 miles then watched the girls from the school I teach at play a regional championship basketball game.... then 375 miles back home only stopped for gas.... of course had some place I had to be by a certain time.

A shorter trip was way worse because of a helmet I was wearing..... pressure point on the forehead would start to burn.

Best advice, don't push the first days. Get sore the first day....and it is down hill from there.

I have a trip I want to make..... but have to convince the wife to by a plane ticket, and I will meet her in about 4-5 days. It would be 5000 miles round trip. Don't see it happening anytime soon.

Have a nice safe trip when you go.
Luv2fish and Pamtha like this.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 09:37 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to RayJ
The previous posts with advice are all spot on. Maybe I have a few more of value. First if you are riding alone, it is your trip. If you are tired. Take a break. If you are hot stop and find some shade. Don’t plan marathon days for this first long trip. You have to get in riding shape. I am 12 days deep in a ride that so far has covered 4800 miles. Today rode over 500. Tomorrow about the same. I do this a lot. Couldn’t do it when I started and didn’t want to. However, some days it makes sense to do it that way. Not every day. My advice with the teen make it fun. We rode to key west in March with our daughter. She is no teen but about 300 per day was max. Find fun things to do. If you are riding with others the plans will have to be discussed. Good luck. If hope you have a ball. Long distance touring is my passion. I love it.
fossil92 and Luv2fish like this.

RayJ

Proud Owner of IDMWT #104
Proud Owner of GEEZER GANG #11

Bike List:
1993 Harley Low Rider Black (Gone)
2005 Harley Electra Glide Black Cherry (Gone)
2015 Goldwing Black
1975 Goldwing Red

but those who hope in the Lord
will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
they will run and not grow weary,
they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-10-2018, 10:05 PM

Ditto ditto ditto on the frequent breaks, even if you’re not tired. Don’t rush, enjoy the ride.
Luv2fish and Pamtha like this.

Eddie
2018 DCT Tour Pearl Hawkeye Blue
IDMWT #73

"Ride hard or stay home"
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-11-2018, 01:46 AM

Garage
I have a 2008 Wing and an Airhawk pad made a world of difference for me. Keeps me butt cool and comfortable. I also have a set of highway pegs, great to be able sit back to your backrest and stretch your legs.
NREMTP likes this.

Mark & Audrey
IDMWT #83
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 08:24 PM

Stay hydrated. Lack of water makes the pain worse.Another advantage is you may be taking more rest stops. Even a few minutes out the the saddle will help.
Luv2fish likes this.

2012 GL1800
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-12-2018, 09:18 PM

I guess I'm the odd man out but I think the way to make a future 2000 mile trip comfortable is to make lots of long rides from now until then so that you are able to stay on it and not have to get off the bike every hour. Stopping all the time just lowers the average speed and makes the trip that much longer. Of course at first you won't be riding 230 miles before stopping but you will work up to it. Riding for distance frequently also exposes you to all weather riding and what clothing and riding gear works well for you in different conditions.

Dave

ST1300
GL1800
NC700XD
IBA #33208
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 07:18 PM

Garage
I vote for the Air Hawk cushion (very little air is needed), foot pegs and a back rest. Don't forget your teen. He/she will need to change position too, so a set of transformer floor boards would be nice. A communication system for the two of you will make a world of difference. Being able to chat and point out various things to each other greatly enhances the joy of riding.
budoka and Luv2fish like this.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode