ISO long trip advice. - Page 3 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 29Likes

post #21 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-03-2018, 11:56 PM

Pam, I haven't seen any bad advice here. Mostly I will stress or reinforce a few points. The helmet fit is critical. Well vented, light weight helmets are good, but the comfort is critical.

I also use an Airhawk seat cushion. Its $100.00+, but I think its the best.

I've gotten into the habit that considering, after stops for gas, food, rr, and sometimes even a nap, I'll probably average roughly 50MPH over a long day. And maybe more for extreme heat, rain, or difficult winds. I plan my itinerary with that in mind.

Keep up with the weather forecast for the next couple of days. No matter where you go, if its for more than a weekend, you'll probably have to deal with rain. Just accept that it will happen. Prepare for it with rain gear and you can make that a part of the adventure.

Deer, and a few other small animals can be as much of a problem for an unprepared rider as cars and trucks, especially at night. Enjoy all of the glorious scenery, but watch the side of the road, as much as the road ahead.

Taking practice runs for training and conditioning can help if you can plan that far ahead. But the most important thing you'll gain will be confidence. Knowing what you can do with reasonable safety for both of you. Even more important than that is knowing what you're not ready for and what you MUST NOT DO. Its your ride. Stay within your limits and comfort zone and you and your daughter have memories for a lifetime.

You didn't mention when or where your going, but know that practically anywhere you go in North America, at least one us of is close by. This is a family and we are all ready to help each other any way we can. If you need directions, suggestion for lodging or food, our mechanical assistance.

Above all else, this your ride. Yours and your daughter's. Not ours. Think about all of the suggestions we make, but don't lose sight of rule #1.....Its your ride. You can make any and all adjustments you need to feel comfortable.

And finally, did I mention its your ride. Enjoy
Cantankerous likes this.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.

Last edited by Randy Hawes; 09-03-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 07:59 PM

All the advice you’ve received has been valuable, but let me tell you how I built up to doing Iron Butt rides. Take off on a shorter, but challenging ride, and determine what becomes uncomfortable first. Deal with that, and do it again, eliminating the things that make a longer ride uncomfortable. When you’ve dealt with everything, you can take on a longer ride.

2012 GL1800 HPNAM
2002 VTX 1800C
IBA #33900
post #23 of 26 (permalink) Old 09-07-2018, 08:26 PM

I did not read all the posts. But it is important what style of underwear you have on. I learned on my first 2500 mile trip not to wear jockey shorts. The ribs around the leg bites into your skin due to the way you legs drape down the side of the seat. When you get that ugly abrasive uncomfortable rash, the rest of the trip is uncomfortable. I know some riders won't even wear underwear. Wear light weight long sleeve shirt if you don't wear a protective jacket. This protects your arms from not only the sun but wind burn. It doesn't matter the style of helmet you like and wear, put suntan lotion on your nose. I feel uncomfortable if I don't wear some kind of gloves. Have safe ride.
Chopin likes this.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.

post #24 of 26 (permalink) Old 10-30-2018, 10:56 AM

Cross Country Trip -

Hey Pam - How was your trip and did your daughter enjoy herself ? Trailer - No Trailer ? Over packed - Forgot something ? Good Weather - Typhoon ? Often the 1st long distance adventure has you feeling a little cautious until you are sure the bike you've chosen is comfortable, safe and reliable.

Ride Safe - Michael
post #25 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-16-2018, 09:25 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamtha View Post
I'm planning on making my first 2,000 mile round trip with my teenager as passenger before too long. What can I do so I'm not walking around like someone who has been in the saddle to long. Others have mentioned sheepskin, a hammock saddle (not in my price range). gel pad, the airhawk or wearing padded bicycle shorts. What advice do you have for us to be as comfortable and as safe as possible on a long ride? I'm going to be riding a 1989 GL1500.
Thanks!
I do not recommend you bring someone on your first 2000.
Before even doing one I suggest you do it on your own and work up to it.
The routes vary and things like gas lines in certain areas, traffic, weather etc. all play in you times.
Never be afraid to end an IBA if you have mechanical or other issues and safety issues pop up better to be safe than sorry.
I recommend quality rain gear, be prepared especially if you have elevation changes on your route, basically be prepared for the weather, temps and variables may throw at you.
I have used lambs wool currently I recommend the Air Hawk (it has channels for air flow and it helps prevent pressure points, briefs I recommend SD Shorts about 50 tp 60dollars a pair. The rinse out easy and dry fast. I had three pairs for my 10,000 miles adventure. Good boots all common sense with one addendum make sure to dry your feet out if water ever gets through the leather or your legs get soaked. I got a form this past year of trench foot because the ones I was riding with did not stop to put on rain gear. The water rain down my leg into my boot. I did not realize it at the time and that night I slept by the side of my bike with my boots on. You learn as you go. I do know I will be sleep every night in a hotel from now on even if it is for only 4 or 5 hours...I like a shower and a few hours of sleep. JMOP.
If you want to talk PM me and I would be glad to talk with you.

IBA #42245
SCMA
RETIRED

Last edited by IBALEE; 11-16-2018 at 09:43 PM.
post #26 of 26 (permalink) Old 11-18-2018, 11:24 AM
ETC

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamtha View Post
I'm planning on making my first 2,000 mile round trip with my teenager as passenger before too long. What can I do so I'm not walking around like someone who has been in the saddle to long. Others have mentioned sheepskin, a hammock saddle (not in my price range). gel pad, the airhawk or wearing padded bicycle shorts. What advice do you have for us to be as comfortable and as safe as possible on a long ride? I'm going to be riding a 1989 GL1500.
Thanks!
We ride the GL18 on all our trips, stock seat and to be honest never once got sore. Basically stock setup with no highway pegs. Last few years we have been pulling a trailer as I have lots of camera and drone equipment I take along.

The key for us is to just stop every 80 to 90 miles and take a short break. Normally every other time to get fuel and maybe a bathroom break and also we carry ice water for a sip once in a while. And I stop often to take pictures and some aerial photography too. 300 to 600 miles a day is our average depending on what we wish to see and how many times I get lost.

My new ride will have highway pegs so that may or may not be even better.

"Take the Right Turn"

Last edited by ETC; 11-18-2018 at 11:28 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode