Just Kicked in $500. For The Hoka Hey Challenge - Page 5 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 43Likes

post #41 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 11:46 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmcdonald123 View Post
Hey jcsouders5464 - The "Bite Me"guy may have misunderstood my "Ya-Ta-Hay" (spelling) question or thought I was making fun of the local Navajo Jingle Dancers. I'd tied a large clump of feathers to my bike making a horse tail and drawn large Appaloosa spots all over the trunk using black magic markers. Although it did kind of stand out amongst the other bikes, I thought for a plain white 93 GW - "Man of War" looked pretty authentic I'd even placed the red inverted right hand on the left side of the tank to indicate a reliable horse that had never let me down in battle.

I completely agree with your comment about the Navajo. They are some of the friendliest and easy going people on the planet. Many years ago I was driving through Rock Springs Az and picked up a older Navajo hitch hiker way out in the middle of no where. When I dropped him off in Window Rock he about insisted on adopting me just because I'd offer him some water and cold french fries back out on the road.

Michael
My father owned a large cattle ranch up into the 80's, when he passed away. Most of our field hands were Navajo and Apache. They were the greatest and hardest working people other than the Mexicans. My father refused to hire whites. (We were white). He also paid everyone except his kids top dollar. So they did their dang best for him out of pride. In 1975 My father decided to try out herding cattle with Honda Trail90's of which he bought 10 of them.
Oh god was that ever a nightmare. Longhorn cattle were leary of horses with riders. But would get pissed off at yappy little motorbikes. And was not fun trying to out run some of them, as their 4 wheel(leg) drive system worked a hell of a lot better than a little chainsaw with wheels. The Navajo's and Apache's thought this was hilarious and made it into a game. You should have seen some of them lassoing a longhorn calf from a CT90. Most fun ever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-21-2018, 03:14 PM

Garage
Quote:
According to one of the 2018 Hoka Hey participants, "as far as he knows it is still set to begin on July 15 from Medicine Park, OK" . If Jim Red Cloud (Jim Durham) has made a decision to canx the event - why would he be sitting on the announcement ???

Michael
You have a valid point...Again I hope I am wrong.

Iron Butt Association #25491
IDMWT #27
NRA Life Member
AMA Charter Life member
Hard Chargers
08 Air Bag sold
2019 DCT Tour Ms Ruby Rose
THE VERY FIRST GWOF IB w/EFINREF

2014 Honda CRF250L
post #43 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-01-2018, 09:46 PM

Yikes -

Hey Ralph- It appears that you were right on target about the Hoka Hey Challenge being Canx - but the announcement appears to be for next year. There has been very little information on the "why and where-for" but it seems there are plans to rename the event and revamp the rules.......

Since one of the requirements states that a participant must ride an American made bike - now that Harley-Davidson has announced that they will be gradually moving some of their production over seas - are HD bikes now considered American made ? For some time now behind the scene rumors from their bean counters have even considered China and/or a third world country to manufacture some of their minor (?) parts. Yikes !#[email protected]$

Michael
Ralphumor likes this.

post #44 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-02-2018, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Since one of the requirements states that a participant must ride an American made bike - now that Harley-Davidson has announced that they will be gradually moving some of their production over seas - are HD bikes now considered American made ? For some time now behind the scene rumors from their bean counters have even considered China and/or a third world country to manufacture some of their minor (?) parts. Yikes !#[email protected]$

Michael
Like most manufacturers now days, I'll be a good bit of all Harley Davidsons manufactured in the US have foreign made parts. M

My Gold Wing was made in Ohio, 2010 was the last year they were manufactured in the US. But that doesn't seem to count for the Hokay Hey.
Chopin likes this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #45 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-08-2018, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownfire View Post
Like most manufacturers now days, I'll be a good bit of all Harley Davidsons manufactured in the US have foreign made parts. M
My 1981 HD came with japanese parts on it (forks, carb to name a couple), so this is far from being a recent development. Nobody likes to talk about it though

I sold a 2000 HD electra glide to get into a wing 4 years ago, and it was quite a while previous that I first saw a "genuine HD" replacement part with "Made In China" on the bag.
post #46 of 54 (permalink) Old 07-13-2018, 05:50 PM

Hope everything goes well -

Hey Lee - With your July 15 Hoka Hey jump off here - are you primed up and ready for the run ? The Medicine Park starting point is a pretty Area.

On a return ride down from the Washita Battlefield I'd passed through the Medicine Park area a while back and stayed a day in a campground along Medicine Creek. Mercy I remember the custodian about threw me off the place and call the cops when I was headed toward the water for a swim. There is "No Swimming Allowed" in Medicine Creek Campground..... I hadn't noticed a sign anywhere but it reminded me of that old song "Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign ?"

Although I just don't have the stamina for the Hoka Hey, I would like to make the END OF THE ROAD PARTY held on JULY 28th! Hope everything along the ride goes well for you Lee.

Ride Safe - Michael

Last edited by jkmcdonald123; 07-13-2018 at 07:22 PM.
post #47 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 07:08 PM

End Of the Road Party -

Hey Lee - Were you feeling up to the Hoka Hey Challenge this year ? Although the founder James “Jim” Gregory Red Cloud passed about a year ago, I think his original idea was meant for good intentions. Because it was so close, I'd intended to ride up for the JULY 28th End of the Road Party but had some family issues to deal with.

Ride Safe - Michael
post #48 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-14-2018, 08:58 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Hello all …
Well the ride was not what I was told or even thought.
I did not finish it after four days dropped out.
List of contradictions:
1: Speeding I was told by those in charge no speeding, everyone that came back said they sped and what I saw first hand they did.
2: It is not a race ...excuse me bull crap...
3: no Gps well there were many holding clip boards riding holding the throttle with there heads in their perspective clip boards going through lights and stop signs ...not paying attention.
4: before it even started the day before accident outside Medicine park removed by the ambulance.
5: during the ride one death, one guy in a coma and multiple accidents
6:I found this not only unsafe I do not like smelling like a San Francisco Homeless guy.

I will continue to ride SCMA rides and IBA rides and use my GPS.
I enjoy the distance rides...
The Hoka Hey was a joke a very dangerous joke.
I will also shower, eat a dinner and sleep for several hours.
This was not hard to sleep by the bike but after 4 days no shower...
Sorry to be so negative but this was not what I consider safe.
I am taking the Mrs. to the national parks next year on my new Wing.
in 2020 I am planning a 15,000 in 15 days with all four corners plus deadhorse and nova scotia. I have sent and email to SCMA seeing if the route will qualify across Canada and touch all four corners as well. San Ysidro , Blaine Washington, Madawaska Me and Key West.
Four corners on steroids.
I emailed Kneebone and he said they can give me a certificate for that but they don't have a patch lol..

IBA #42245
SCMA
RETIRED
post #49 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
A wise move made by a wise man.

I had my doubts when I first read about it, and you just confirmed them.

What direction will you be going to and from Blaine? I'd like to meet for a cup of coffee, if you come through here.

2004 GL1800 Bloodstone Red Metallic
1988 GL1500/6 Martini Beige Metallic (Sold)
1984 GL1200 Pearl Saturn Red/Century Brown Metallic (Sold)
1981 Honda CM400T Candy Sword Blue with Metallic Light Blue (Cubed and Recycled)

IDMWT #23
Member #3480

Homo praesumitur bonus donec probetur malus

post #50 of 54 (permalink) Old 08-15-2018, 01:19 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cripula View Post
My 1981 HD came with japanese parts on it (forks, carb to name a couple), so this is far from being a recent development. Nobody likes to talk about it though

I sold a 2000 HD electra glide to get into a wing 4 years ago, and it was quite a while previous that I first saw a "genuine HD" replacement part with "Made In China" on the bag.
I met a fellow in Sturgis that worked at a foundry that manufactured gears and other things for HD. He confirmed that more and more items were being outsourced from Japan, China, India, wherever. As to Our 2010 and older Wings, they were assembled in Ohio, but lots of the parts came from Honda's manufacturing plants in Japan. Nissin, Showa, and others are all Honda subsidiaries so shocks, brakes, switchgear, lots of it was shipped from Japan to the Ohio plant. Still says "Made in USA" on the VIN tag though.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode