Just Kicked in $500. For The Hoka Hey Challenge - Page 4 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 43Likes

post #31 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 02:56 PM

Ibuprofen -

Hey LEE - How are you feeling after your surgery ? Do you still have plans to participate in the Hoka Hey Challenge ? A couple of friends continue to talk about making the ride this July but both wish they could ride their own bikes. Neither one particularly likes the requirement to ride an HD but, I guess "Rules Are Rules".

I've kicked the idea around a few times of trying to make the run but honestly the 10k mile loop in one sequential wack is pretty intimidating. I'd definitely have to carry along a good supply of industrial strength ibuprofen.

Good Luck, Michael
IBALEE and George Henderson like this.

Last edited by jkmcdonald123; 03-07-2018 at 03:32 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

I am going to Moonshine for lunch 2000+ round trip in April. I am excited I have been prepping I got a plug kit a hand sized air compressor, another air hawk seat a new heated liner and heated gloves. The patch is a big deal. I will keep you all posted. I am doing a 5000 in five days along with a coast to coast in less than 50 in two weeks.

IBA #42245
SCMA
RETIRED
post #33 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-07-2018, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmcdonald123 View Post
Hey LEE - How are you feeling after your surgery ? Do you still have plans to participate in the Hoka Hey Challenge ? A couple of friends continue to talk about making the ride this July but both wish they could ride their own bikes. Neither one particularly likes the requirement to ride an HD but, I guess "Rules Are Rules".

I've kicked the idea around a few times of trying to make the run but honestly the 10k mile loop in one sequential wack is pretty intimidating. I'd definitely have to carry along a good supply of industrial strength ibuprofen.

Good Luck, Michael
Mike I am feeling great my weight loss has hit a wall so I am walking at 5 am every day to help lose the last little amount. I am doing the HOKA HEY. Anyone who applies now will be put on a waiting list. I normally would take Ibuprofen but because of my surgery aspirin, Ibuprofen, Naproxin are all verboten. Any of the previous medications could cause severe bleeding.
I am doing the 5000/5, 50CC and two 1000/24 for lunch in Illinois. At the same time I am riding, prepping the Harley, to get as close to the Wing (after the event I am seriously thinking of trading in my wing and the HD for a new Wing.) I am getting in much better shape, more energetic no more shortness of breath. I have been sleeping in the cot tent and my new brackets to carry it vertically of the trailer hitch is done and will be on this Saturday. This is yet another reason I have not been on the site. I will need a volunteer to post on the site when July rolls around my progress. I have the electornic tracker I was required to get for the Hoka Hey but it is limited so I am going to have the progress posted on my FB. The volunteer would have to send me a FB request. Lee Deleonard Jr. My son has the same name is the III but does not use it.
George Henderson likes this.

IBA #42245
SCMA
RETIRED

post #34 of 54 (permalink) Old 03-08-2018, 10:07 AM

Wealthy Land Owner -

Hey Lee, It sounds like you are really doing great - glad everything is a go. Just take a slow and steady approach to your weight loss and endurance prep for the Hoka Hey Challenge. I rushed things a bit after a lower back surgery and had to lengthen my recovery time considerably.

It's a good idea to thoroughly test out your gear prior to taking an extended bike trip. Especially anything related to sleeping comfort. Years ago when I traded up from a foam sleeping pad to a backpacker's cot I tried it out a few days prior to leaving for my next trip. I knew I'd made the right choice when there was an immediate difference in the time it took to get up and around each morning.

By the way historically Deleonard is very prominent noble family from the region around Venice Italy. You should contact their national historical registry - you may be a wealthy merchant or land owner and don't even know it. Old World History Buff

Good Luck Completing the Hoka Hey, Michael
post #35 of 54 (permalink) Old 04-30-2018, 03:57 PM

Escape Route -

Hey Lee, How is your exercising going ? After my latest annual physical, I'm determined to start doing better as well. What is that old saying - "If I'd known I was going to live this long - I'd have taken better care of myself".

Are you still feeling up to the Hoka Hey Challenge ? I think both of my buddies are hovering around on the wait list. After some down time I'm pretty much on the mend after a minor tumble off a rented Honda 250 (Carribean Goldwing - ha) while in Jamaica. Mostly suffered just a twisted and scuffed up knee and ankle. Hard to believe but even their 3 axle transport trucks try to lane-split. I had been warned that the traffic along the northern cost road to Montego Bay was based on the "largest vehicle always has the right-a-way" no matter the circumstances and they weren't kidding. At least my escape route out of danger was only down through a big ditch and not an open sewer.....

Michael
post #36 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-13-2018, 06:49 PM

Doctor Bills -

Hey Lee - The 2018 Hoka Hey Challenge jump off date (July 15) is about a month away and approaching fast. How are your plans to "get ready to get ready" ?

Both of the friends who'd been potential Hoka Hey participants have decided to bow out. They felt there was some miscommunication (?) somewhere along the way and had expected to have a shot at winning some serious prize money. Evidently they'd heard around the camp fire that the winners were supposed to divvy up $500K. I don't think either one really had the right mental perspective for riding in the challenge from the beginning.

If I were to cover 10k miles in 10 days I'd need the prize money to cover my doctor bills.

Best of Luck, Michael
post #37 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-17-2018, 02:29 PM

Garage
Maybe I am wrong. I hope I am.......Hoka Hey 2018 has been cancelled

Iron Butt Association #25491
IDMWT #27
NRA Life Member
AMA Charter Life member
Hard Chargers
08 Air Bag sold
2019 DCT Tour Ms Ruby Rose
THE VERY FIRST GWOF IB w/EFINREF

2014 Honda CRF250L
post #38 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 11:12 AM

Hoka Hey Challenge Canx -

According to one of the 2018 Hoka Hey participants, "as far as he knows it is still set to begin on July 15 from Medicine Park, OK" . If Jim Red Cloud (Jim Durham) has made a decision to canx the event - why would he be sitting on the announcement ???

Michael
post #39 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-19-2018, 11:55 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmcdonald123 View Post
Hey Lee, Good Luck.......... I had not heard of the Hoka Hey either but it looks like they have been around for a while. Man the requirements for successfully completing this ride would make any participant a member of a pretty elite group. Although I have always enjoyed making long distance runs, I try to avoid being under a schedule or deadline if at all possible. Just have never had the constitution for it.

I wonder where the name Hoka Hey came from and what it means. It sounds similar to the Navajo greeting "Ya-Ta-Hay". At a Navajo 4th of July Pow-Wow, Rodeo and General Fun For All Shin-Dig at Window Rock Az, I'd asked a local (all dressed up in native dancing regalia) what Ya-Ta-Hay actually means. After staring at me a moment in my dusty riding leathers, he said "Bite Me". I still don't know if this was slang or a literal translation....

Michael
Weird, Navajo's in general are great people. yʼtʼh in general means hello or goodbye. With a ducking of the head, NOT BOWING it is a greeting of respect to elders of the Navajo nation also. And Hoka hey is "lets go men" and not "It's a good day to die."

Last edited by jcsouders5464; 06-19-2018 at 12:00 PM. Reason: more info
post #40 of 54 (permalink) Old 06-20-2018, 04:00 PM

Man of War -

Hey jcsouders5464 - The "Bite Me"guy may have misunderstood my "Ya-Ta-Hay" (spelling) question or thought I was making fun of the local Navajo Jingle Dancers. I'd tied a large clump of feathers to my bike making a horse tail and drawn large Appaloosa spots all over the trunk using black magic markers. Although it did kind of stand out amongst the other bikes, I thought for a plain white 93 GW - "Man of War" looked pretty authentic I'd even placed the red inverted right hand on the left side of the tank to indicate a reliable horse that had never let me down in battle.

I completely agree with your comment about the Navajo. They are some of the friendliest and easy going people on the planet. Many years ago I was driving through Rock Springs Az and picked up a older Navajo hitch hiker way out in the middle of no where. When I dropped him off in Window Rock he about insisted on adopting me just because I'd offer him some water and cold french fries back out on the road.

Michael
crownfire likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode