Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

My New to Me 2003 GL1800

7K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  jcsouders5464 
#1 ·
This is my second low mileage older gold wing. I'm a little worried about the frame cracking issue. But other than that the bike is perfect. Everything is stock except the windshield and a pair of grip puppies.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Sharp looking bike. Not the fastest color but still looking good.

Attachments

Reactions: NREMTP and Luv2fish
#4 ·
If you look up my vin on the recall notice, it is within the range of numbers that Honda said must be repaired.

But if you look up the vin on honda's website, it says there are no recalls. I think that is because they only go back 15 years.

So the dealer says it doesn't need a recall. But the recall notice says recall needed...

#7 · (Edited)
The dealer should at least check the weld's with the gauge to verify that it meets specs. Not all that fell in the range needed done. When I had my 2004, my dealer checked it and only one weld was out of spec. They did the entire job though.
He did tell me that they found quite a few that were checked and passed.

I found the recall notice and copied the list of 2003 frames that were affected.

2003 GL1800 (non-ABS)
1HFSC470*3A204861 thru 1HFSC470*3A212217
2003 GL1800A (ABS)
1HFSC474*3A201127 thru 1HFSC474*3A203256

If the dealer still refuses to at least check it, contact American Honda and let them know about your problem. They should have a database of all the ones that were inspected and/or repaired.

#9 ·
So you have asked a few times nut I really think the answer is go to a Honda dealer with the VIN. The online info is not the same as what the dealer can look up.

I had a dealer check recall status on a 20 year old Valkyrie and found the date a Honda dealer in a different state reported that it was done. He also said that if I can show him that it was not done he would accomplish it at no charge. He also printed out a report of everything any Honda dealer had ever done to that bike.

Another member here, Travis.Farmer, had a recall accomplished last year on his 25 year old GL1500.

If dealer A is jerking you around, find another dealer and then send a letter to Honda about dealer A with copy to Big Brother (real letter, not an e-mail).

#13 · (Edited)
Strange.I called the number before I posted this and pressed 3 for general info and the 0, was put into queue.
Tried it just now and got message that offices were closed for the day.
Just tried again without hitting 3 first, just 0 four or five times and again got the recording that the offices were closed.
Said to call back during regular business hours.

T (866) 784-1870

#14 ·
It's my understanding that all 2003 frames had the recall work done, regardless of VIN. If you take a look at the underside of your bike, at the frame directly in front of the center stand, it will look like a welding student had to see how much welding rod they could use. If you see those welds on each side, the recall was done. Nice bike by the way, I ride it's twin.

Attachments

#16 ·
I thought the same thing. But my 2003 has not been worked on; and Honda says its fine. Plus if you think about it, that makes sense. How could they possibly tear down every single 2003 bike and re-weld the frame? I think (hope) no matter what the year they checked it, and only did the welding if it was needed. If that's not true then Honda is lying to me, my bike still needs that work done, and Honda refuses to do it.

#18 · (Edited)
After owning a 2001 for 16 years and 161,000 miles I side graded to a brand new 2003 with only 47k miles. While I sort of miss my red wing I am quite happy with my new black and gold ride. I actually have noticed no difference in the new bike except for color and the fact it has heated grips. Now that it's getting colder out the grips are becoming a real plus factor. The seat has to go as I nor the wife likes the Utopia backrest, I am going to install a stock seat and sell this one.

#19 ·
Sorry to be slow in this. That frame recall is designated as a "safety issue" and it has to be done. If your VIN tag has no punch mark on the lower right corner, the repair hasn't been done. Whether from being in spec or just ignored it needs to be checked. I would keep badgering American Honda on this. I can't run an out of country VIN through Honda's Canadian dealer site or I'd gladly do it for you just to confirm what has or hasn't been done to the bike. As I said this is a mandatory recall for safety same as the brake secondary cylinder was. This is Honda's responsibility. If that dealer won't help you, I'd also mention that to Customer Service in no uncertain terms.

#21 ·
On Honda cars I have done recalls on a 32 year old Honda Civic just this past year. So I agree with Andy, write a letter and mail to Honda.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.