29 Year Old New Member Looking for Advice on Purchasing First Goldwing - Page 3 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 63Likes

post #21 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 08:29 AM
TAL

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to TAL
Brock,

Welcome to the forum from Texas.

My first mistake after buying our wing - opening a Kuryakyn catalog...
Brock Bumgarner likes this.

Tom
IDMWT Club Member # 82
Have you confessed today?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 08:37 AM

Welcome to the forum from SW Missouri. My wife and I purchased our first GW this past summer after riding Harley's for several years. For my wife, we added armrests with a cupholder and Kuryakyn Transformer passenger floorboards which gives her different foot positions. I added highway pegs for me, put they are not the most comfortable so I need to change them out. Also, for the first time ever, we added a trailer hitch and use a pull behind trailer for our long trips. The extra room is great and I hardly even know the trailer is behind us. Good luck in your search and safe riding.

"The journey is never a direct route; it is circuitous, and somewhere along the way, we discover that the journey is more significant than the destination, and the people we meet will be traveling companions of our memories forever." N. Demille
post #23 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 10:24 AM

welcome from richmond, va.

Eddie
2018 DCT Tour Pearl Hawkeye Blue
IDMWT #73

"Ride hard or stay home"

post #24 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Garage
WOW!! Thank you everyone for the warm welcome...I can see the GW community is a good one for sure!

Thanks again for all of the suggestions; I'm certainly taking each of them to heart as they come through. I'm roughly 6'2" so the information about a 1500 having more room is great to know (even though I'm strongly leaning toward the fuel injection and extra power of the GL1800.)

From what I'm seeing, mileage doesn't seem to be of big importance if the bike is kept up well, correct? Should I be worried about bikes that have a trailer hitch mounted and thus have been towing a trailer before? Should I try to buy from a private seller only so that I can talk directly to the person who rode and maintained the bike?

I have found this bike in FL that looks great, its a 2002 GL1800 Audio Comfort with 68K miles for $6700 but it's at a dealership and has a tow package on it; two downsides in my opinion. Just looking for any feedback any of you may have on this bike...http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/C...fort-115254035

Thank you again to everyone who's been more than willing to give me this valuable feedback. It's greatly appreciated!

Have a great day!

Brock
post #25 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 02:29 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Brock, looking at that Ad it appears a bit funky as in referencing the '02 but than mentioning a '12. Just a thought that's all. You will need some verification there as well as verifying that all recalls were completed.

Additionally the mileage is excellent for an '02, the towing thing is a toss up. No issue with the Wing's capability, but also no idea what the owner pulled with it. Not really a detriment but if you can find out somehow that would be helpful.

I have purchased motorcycles from dealers and from private sellers. I've been happy with all my purchases. One thing I look at when buying from a private party is the condition of their home, other vehicles, and property. Certainly not a snob in any manor but if they keep the rest of their possessions in an unruly state, then there is a strong possibility that they didn't take much care of the bike.

As always this is just one Ole Fossil's opinion.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #26 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 02:46 PM

Location: Wheatland. Missouri on Pomme De Terre Lake 2008 GL1800 IDMWT #63
Garage
I honestly believe a "tow Package" is a plus when it comes to a Goldwing as they are made for heavy duty touring. Been proven time and time again, the reason Honda doesn't recommend hitches is for insurance purposes.

Alan & Carol (RIP, PistolPete, Prissy & Loki ),

Proud member #63 of the IDMWT Club.
Darkside # 1696
Triple Darkside;
Front, Bridgestone Battle Ax BT 45
Rear, Bridgestone Driveguard RF
post #27 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 03:07 PM

Brock - Nice to welcome you. My wife and I are new to the GW community, but certainly not new to MC and riding. Do hope you find what you're looking for and enjoy it for many miles to come. My best to you and yours. MM
post #28 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 03:54 PM
TAL

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to TAL
Brock, I believe the 2012 in the ad is a TYPO. See the pics below. I do not believe they had that (2012) rear before...

Also, the mileage indicates around 5,300 - not bad for my taste.

As to the hitch, I have to go with ALWIMS - better buy a bike that has one then having to add it later on. If you take longer trips, you'll be happy to have a trailer.

As for the dealer/private person, take it for a ride to another dealer and spent some time with them to check the bike recall status (if you can)...

Hope this helps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2002_side-rear.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	170545   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-rear.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	170553  

Tom
IDMWT Club Member # 82
Have you confessed today?

post #29 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 05:19 PM
Lifetime Premium

29 Year Old New Member Looking for Advice on Purchasing First Goldwing

Hmmmm...... There is something rotten in Eutis, Fl. The ad doesn't add up. A " comfort package " Wing meant heated seats and grips . That was not available until 2006.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.

Last edited by Chopin; 12-28-2015 at 05:22 PM.
post #30 of 62 (permalink) Old 12-28-2015, 05:41 PM

Garage
It most definitely is not a comfort package because you cant see the heat butterfly doors under the heads, you can see the covers conform to the exhaust pipes, on the comfort it is shaped different and has the heat doors.

Could simply be that the person in charge of placing adds doesn't have a clue about 'wings.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode