Northwest newbie..... - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-29-2019, 09:47 PM Thread Starter

Northwest newbie.....

Howdy! I've just signed up for this interesting forum, hoping to learn more about Goldwings, local riding groups, specifics one really should know before considering buying one....I'm about to start looking locally at several used bikes from as old as 1988 to bikes as 'new' as 2010...I can imagine most Goldwing owners hang on to their bikes for at least 10 or more years, or so it seems! I've not driven a bike in nearly 25 years, although I started in 1976 with a Honda 750 and owned a GL1100 in 1979, briefly. While I loved those bikes, my elderly parents at that time needed a new car more than I needed a motorcycle, so I sold mine. Time and obligations and work and family have kept me from replacing a bike until now...now that I'm retired and reaching old fartdom, in truth. Call it a 'second childhood' if you will, but I really want a bike again even though I may not have a great many years left to enjoy it....SO, YOUR HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED....What should I look for as I look at these used Goldwings? What's the big issue on replacement of timing belts and sprockets? How old can their tires be and still be safe to count on ? (A couple the bikes I'm considering are 25+ years old with low mileage, so I suspect those are OLD original tires)...ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED! Thanks! "Norwester"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:14 AM

Welcome from Northern Virginia. I was pretty much in the same boat as you as far as a 30 year hiatus from riding. I picked mine up when I retired.

I bought new but when I was looking at used I preferred a newer bike because I wanted to avoid carburetors. Secondly now that I own one I would not own one without ABS. The third thing is that high mileage on a Gold Wing is a better thing than sitting for years but having low mileage. Bikes that sit tend to get other issues (mice eating wires, gummed up fuel systems, etc) that a bike that is used frequently avoids. An older low mileage bike may appear cheaper but when you consider the $$$$ and time away from riding that happens it may not be a better deal. Some folks though consider the repairs part of the fun and the pride of owning a bike you brought back to life is a plus.

Lastly there are a lot of folks here that are in their 70ís and beyond that ride often. Youíve got lots of time.

Good luck in your search and welcome to GWOF.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the GWOF from Pa.

Here's a link you will find interesting talking about the different models up to (but not including) the 2012.

https://www.goldwingfacts.com/goldwinghistory.htm

Best of luck with your search

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 05:08 AM

Garage
Welcome from South Carolina

Retired US Army Soldier
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone state. Good luck on your search for a used Wing. Lots of them out there with low or medium mileage and in great condition. Maint on a Wing is minimal and they are known to go well over 100k miles. You will know which one is right for you when, as Fossil says "it sings to you".

Enjoy the forum and ride safe..

Charlie
<><
Proud Owner of IDMWT #1
Past rides:
1974 Blue Yamaha TX500
1986 Red Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1998 Candy Spectra Red Goldwing 1500 SE
2009 Silver Goldwing 1800 Audio/Comfort
***(all dropped, all gone, but none forgotten)***
Present:
2003 Electron Blue Metallic Corvette 5.7

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Elected officials like diapers need to be changed regularly, both for the same reason. Mark Twain
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:26 AM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome to the site. That link fossil posted has most of the info you need to help in your decision making. Belts aren't hard or expensive to change, just need to be careful in lining up the timing marks. 1800's have no belts as the cams are chain driven. 1500 valve trains are hydraulic, no adjustment, 1800 are bucket and shim, but seldom require adjustment but do warrant inspection at recommended intervals. 1500 is cusier and roomier, 1800 is a bit more sport-ish, kind of like a thoroughbred. Tires should not exceed 5 years in age regardless of tread appearance (if you believe manufacturers and techs) so that is a caution area. Carb'd models (1500) can have cleaning and sync requirements, but again, not difficult. 1500 vacuum lines are also prone to age deterioration and while time consuming isn't rocket science either. All used bikes should be given a complete visual once over and look for signs of neglect. I may rankle a few owners/sellers with this, but since Goldwings are so famous for being bulletproof bikes, it's easy to ignore simple regular maintenance chores.
Good luck and hope you hear music
Luv2fish likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hello norwester1 and welcome to the forum.

I personally like the 1800 over the 1500, for various reasons, the main one being the fuel injection on the 1800.

2004 GL1800 Bloodstone Red Metallic
1988 GL1500/6 Martini Beige Metallic (Sold)
1984 GL1200 Pearl Saturn Red/Century Brown Metallic (Sold)
1981 Honda CM400T Candy Sword Blue with Metallic Light Blue (Cubed and Recycled)

IDMWT #23
Member #3480

Homo praesumitur bonus donec probetur malus

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 09:07 AM
Lifetime Premium

Welcome to the GWOF.
Got your PM and have replied, we're only a few miles apart.
One thing if you haven't ridden in a long time you might consider taking the rider course put on by Washington states dept. of licencing.
Give me a call you got my number, sorry I missed your call last night.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 10:41 AM Thread Starter

THANKS to all for the warm welcome and "do's and don'ts" to consider as I start hunting for MY Goldwing in the days ahead! I will likely have a great many questions as the days roll on, and hope you're willing to share info as questions come up for me....I'm not afraid to get greasy, either, so any "maintenance" things I should know about that one can do without a shop handling, I'd love to learn about to keep my bike problem-free....Thanks again...I'll let you know when I find that 'bike for me' ... Norwester
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 07-30-2019, 12:29 PM

Welcome to you from Mississippi. I have enjoyed my 2010. Look around for one that sings to you and enjoy.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode