Getting used 2013 wing - Honda Goldwing Forums
 15Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 09:57 PM Thread Starter
Dva

Getting used 2013 wing

buying used 2013 wing with abs with very low miles looking for pro and cons information on recalls etc. I have been riding v twins for last 15 years love the way the wing handles at highway speeds looking for sound advice I could purchase a left over 16 basic model for a few thousand more.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dva View Post
buying used 2013 wing with abs with very low miles looking for pro and cons information on recalls etc. I have been riding v twins for last 15 years love the way the wing handles at highway speeds looking for sound advice I could purchase a left over 16 basic model for a few thousand more.
Don't know of any recalls for the level 1-3 but there is a recall on the level 4 airbag model. It has the same make airbag as the cars.
Honda made changes to the transmission on the 14 - 17. The earlier years had issues with the shifting. I had an 06 with 220,000 miles on it and now have a 17 with 12,000 miles on it and think the 06 was better shifting than the 17. Seem to have more missed shifts on the 17 and neutral can be a pain to get into.

Asfar as other advice. A gl1800 that has been well maintained and not abused will out last many riders. It is not uncommon the hear ofgoldwings with 100s of thousands of miles on them still going strong.

My 2006 level3 had 220,000 miles on it when it was totaled and I had just finished an 8000 mile trip thru NE Canada on some very
bad roads. And I would have had no hesitation heading out on another trip after doing the normal maintenance.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:28 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the GWOF from another Pa. guy. Sage advice giving by my fellow Keystoner. I am quite certain if eddie's bike had not been totaled he would still be adding the miles on it.

I will leave you with this.......I subscribe to a theory that the right motorcycle will sing the "Ride Me" song to you if you listen closely. Best of luck in the decision process.
Jinx, dwade and Dva like this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 05:45 AM
Lifetime Premium

Good morning from Virginia ! Northern Virginia, that is.

Lee.
Darksider since I can remember.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:16 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the GWOF from NE Pa. Like Fossil said it will "sing" to you and you will know. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

Charlie
<><
Proud Owner of IDMWT #1
Past rides:
1974 Blue Yamaha TX500
1986 Red Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1998 Illusion Red Goldwing 1500 SE
2009 Silver Goldwing 1800 Audio/Comfort
***(all dropped, all gone but not forgotten)***

Present:
2003 Electron Blue Metallic Corvette 5.7

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:19 AM

Howdy and welcome from Va as well.....Chesterfield that is.....

Either one will suffice....itís entirely your call!

Mark

2018 Goldwing Tour DCT Candy Ardent Red
'07 Trekker DL185 Trailer
AMA Member

DSi # 563 IDMWT #14
Riding soothes my soul.....
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 06:58 AM
Super Moderator

All I can add is to welcome you from Mississippi. My 2010 has been a reliable ride for 134,000 miles so far. I would get the fastest color.
NREMTP and Behind bars like this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 07:46 AM

Welcome to the forum.

Don't worry about recalls. Any Honda dealer MUST accomplish them at any time.

If you can get a new one for a few dollars more you should consider it. You would get a clean three year warranty which can be extended for a fee. Not suggesting you would need it but nice piece of mind. Just make sure the dealer is selling it as new. Some less than honest dealers have been known to sell new bikes to themselves to claim dealer incentives and remove from their floor plan financing.

Things about used to think about. Used price is really not that much inflated for the upper end bike over a basic so if you want ABS or airbag you can watch used markets. Dealers are stuck charging more for these because they pay more. On the other hand, many current owners know what they pay for aftermarket parts while as a buyer some of these parts may bring no value to you. I like to see a good maintenance history on a used bike and other evidence that the bike has been respected and taken care of.
dwade likes this.

Andy Cote

Darkside #1500
2015 Goldwing, black

previously: GL1200 Standard, GL1200 Interstate GL1500 Wing, GL1500 Valkyrie Standard, 2000 Valkyrie Interstate and many other Hondas
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:47 AM

There was a break recall. Make sure that was done. I would go with the 2013. You get ABS and the Nav system. The Nav is not the most convenient to use, but once you get used to it, it is fine. The ABS is the big thing over the 16 basic model.

I have a 2012 and love it!! 56K and no problems at all. It has been coast to coast a bunch of times.
NREMTP and dsurley like this.

Dan
2012 GL 1800
1988 GL 1500
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Dva

Thanks to all for sound advice and the welcome to the site. I appreciate it. I test rode the13 yesterday and they do sing to you, I didnít want to get off , Iím currently on a 17 Roadmaster and sorry to say I get very uncomfortable after about an hour and Iím not happy with the feel at higher highway speeds 6th gear screams. Just getting older I guess lol.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in