Harley rider here - Honda Goldwing Forums
 52Likes

post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter

Harley rider here

I know, I know. Not here to troll, I swear!

I've been riding Harley's for years, both work and play. I've been giving consideration lately of purchasing a Goldwing. I took one for a ride at a dealer last week and was quite impressed. It was the first time I had been on one and always found them somewhat intimidating on the showroom floor, as I'm a fairly short guy and it just looked, well, big! Once we pulled out of the dealership it felt like handling a moped. Very smooth, very good performance, and pretty comfortable, although it was a short ride.

The minimal research I've done so far has me looking at an offer of $24,014.01 out the door price on the 2018 manual model with an MSRP of $27,200. I signed up here to look over the forum, get some opinions on the bike, and decide if I want to take it from an idea, to a purchase.

The reason in part for the consideration is I typically buy a new Harley every 2 years or so (once thanks to a deer strike, and another one thanks to a co-worker parking lot strike). The dealerships seem to be less and less focused on the customer than they were in years past. While the bikes are okay, they seem to drop behind in technology and performance. My current bike is a 2018 Road Glide Special, with the trunk and front lowers added.

Looking forward to checking out the site and finding out more information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:07 PM
Lifetime Premium

Welcome to the GWOF,
I ride an older GL1500 so I can help out on any info on the 1800, should be some 1800 guys getting on here in a bit.
Ride safe

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:19 PM

Welcome from the northern tier of PA. I ride a 2012 1800. Like Ron said the 18 1800 guys will chime in soon. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

Superdave1120
Sayre, PA
1980 650 Yamaha First Ride
1989 GL1500 First Wing
2006 750 Shadow Wifes Ride
2012 GL1800 New Wing (Red)
IBA #63784
Darksider #1664
Michelin Alpine P3 195/55/R16

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:44 PM

Garage
1800 guy here too only since July. Would I do it again? Hell yes I would! The power the smooth the stuff! It has it all!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Good guys ride black bikes
IDMWT #98
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 03:57 PM

Welcome to you from Mississippi. I love my 2010 and will start thinking about a new one next year, or the year after. I've heard many good things about the 2018. I have not taken one out for a test ride as I'm told if I ride it, I'll want it. Wing riders tend to keep their bikes at least long enough to break them in, 75,000 to 100,000 miles or so. I've got 133,000 on mine and we have been to 39 States and 5 Canadian Provinces. My next one will be my retirement gift to myself.
Badrider likes this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Hello and welcome to the forum.

We do have several members with the 2018 model. One of them, Chrisek, has over 40k on his.

2004 GL1800 Bloodstone Red Metallic
1988 GL1500/6 Martini Beige Metallic (Sold)
1984 GL1200 Pearl Saturn Red/Century Brown Metallic (Sold)
1981 Honda CM400T Candy Sword Blue with Metallic Light Blue (Cubed and Recycled)

IDMWT #23
Member #3480

Homo praesumitur bonus donec probetur malus

Last edited by Cantankerous; 01-22-2019 at 04:03 PM.
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 04:23 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. You would probably enjoy any Goldwing model but Honda also fell way behind in the technology area until they released the 2018 model. I am very happy with my 2012 and use after market tech devices to make the bike more enjoyable.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 06:17 PM

Welcome from Alabama!
I rode a Yamaha Venture for 10 years and never thought about owning anything else. My wife and I stopped by the local motorcycle shop last summer to look at the 2018 Ventures. The first thing we saw was a 2018 GW. For my wife it was love at first sight. She wanted to ride it home right then. I must admit that I was awestruck too but there was no way that I was going to pay that kind of cash for a new bike. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Yami! I threw a leg over the GW and could not believe how light and nimble it felt between my knees. I swear it felt like a dirt bike! We left that day without buying a bike.
A couple of months later we rode up to Wing Ding in Knoxville and we saw several up there, one of which was pearl white. It was the most beautiful scooter that we’d ever seen. A perfect blend of art and engineering. A friend told me to be sure to ride the automatic. I did. I wasn’t sure about the automatic. It was different. Not in a bad way but just different. Went back to the dealer thinking that we’d get the manual shift but we rode the DCT one more time. This time it clicked for me. We bought the automatic and have absolutely loved it. I’m almost 62 and love, love, love this bike! 42-47 mpg, nimble, quick and easy on the eyes! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-22-2019, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3422 View Post
I know, I know. Not here to troll, I swear!

I've been riding Harley's for years, both work and play. I've been giving consideration lately of purchasing a Goldwing. I took one for a ride at a dealer last week and was quite impressed. It was the first time I had been on one and always found them somewhat intimidating on the showroom floor, as I'm a fairly short guy and it just looked, well, big! Once we pulled out of the dealership it felt like handling a moped. Very smooth, very good performance, and pretty comfortable, although it was a short ride.

The minimal research I've done so far has me looking at an offer of $24,014.01 out the door price on the 2018 manual model with an MSRP of $27,200. I signed up here to look over the forum, get some opinions on the bike, and decide if I want to take it from an idea, to a purchase.

The reason in part for the consideration is I typically buy a new Harley every 2 years or so (once thanks to a deer strike, and another one thanks to a co-worker parking lot strike). The dealerships seem to be less and less focused on the customer than they were in years past. While the bikes are okay, they seem to drop behind in technology and performance. My current bike is a 2018 Road Glide Special, with the trunk and front lowers added.

Looking forward to checking out the site and finding out more information.
I gave up my 2017 streetglide after seeing the new wing and reading the reviews, never took a demo ride and didn't need one. It was everything that I wanted, smooth ride, excellent power and it was Hondas version of the streetglide which I like.
ps, definetly get the DCT you won't regret because that was the big bonus for getting the bike. My Harley was one of the many that was transferring trans oil to the primary which was just something else that made the choice easy.

Last edited by ron1026; 01-22-2019 at 07:48 PM. Reason: add to post
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 03:08 AM

Welcome to the site from Northern VA. I own a 2015 GW and absolutely love it. I have not ridden a 2018 yet but I love the smooth quiet ride of my GW coupled with the dependability of a Honda. Many of our forum members have over 100,000 trouble free miles on their motorcycle. You might just find that you no longer need to trade your motorcycle every 2 years. I have a friend who rides a Harley and he's had two of them since I've had my GW. They are made to put miles on and do it very well.

Steve

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode