Harley rider here - Page 3 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 52Likes

post #21 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 11:43 AM

I have had all models of Goldwings (1000, 1100, 1500, 1800) except the GL1200. I have also owned several Harleys. My first Harley was a 1957 police bike with shifter on the side of the tank. My latest was a 2014 Dyna Low Rider which I loved until I totaled it. I still ride Goldwings with the current being a 2005 GL1800 that I also love. I think for the smoothness, lack of maintenance, comfort and ease of adding the goodies, storage space, you will love the Goldwing. The only negative I can think of about the Goldwing is the taking off all the body parts to do things like changing the air filter, etc. I do my own maintenance so, I know how tedious it is for those who don't. On mine, I put a lowering kit on because I'm only 5' 6 1/2. I also put the ride off center stand on because it is also shorter to compensate for the lowering kit.
Luv2fish and DesertRat like this.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 01:38 PM
Site Sponsor

@Andy3422 Are you sufficiently swayed yet?

Welcome to the forum and Gold Wing community from Southern California. Hopefully soon you will have one of your own! Our owner, Rick, has owned, rode, worked on and sold accessories for Gold Wings most his life. And he loves, loves, loves his 2018 Wing for many of the reasons others have already mentioned. He has the DCT Tour - he was hesitant to go auto at first because he spent his whole life riding manual - but he does not regret his decision one bit. We have some review videos you can watch if that helps you with your decision.

Here's one of them:

There is a wealth of knowledge on this forum so you came to the right place. Let us know if you need anything Ride safe!
Travler likes this.
post #23 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 07:42 AM

@Andy3422

We purchased our 2018 DCT Tour the Monday after Thanksgiving. We had been riding a 2017 Harley Road Glide Ultra and before that a 2007 Heritage Softtail. Both nice bikes. The Ultra was great cruising on the highway, but a nightmare in traffic and slow speed manuvering. Neither my wife nor I were comfortable in traffic. It was too big and heavy to manuver in our garage so had to buy a J&S jack to manuver it into a space in my garage. That generally took 30 minutes to get it in or out. With the GW forward and reverse walking gear I can park the Wing in the same space in our garage in under 3 minutes. The Wing has so much more to offer in standard equipment than the Ultra. The Wing is way faster than the Ultra performance wise. Changing from the Ultra to the Wing was the best choice we have ever made motorcycle wise. Shop around. We paid $21,800 for our DCT Tour not including sales tax. Good luck with your decision.

Randy

post #24 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETC View Post
Ok here is my take on the new 18 vs previous models - Nothing to do with riding as I rode it backwards 12 feet but it was smoooooooth.

Now one thing not in the video is how to open the trunk and saddlebags if the battery is dead? this I don't know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ591QDSoY4

This may help. Once you get the left bag open, there is a release inside for the right bag and the trunk too (I think). I've done it a couple times but it's one of those things that kinda goes away if you're not doing it all the time. Chrisek is correct in that you need to remove that cover over the manual release to use the emergency key. I'll scour the owner's manual and see if I can more information. Service manual PDF is too large a file to upload here.

edit: there is a release for the right bag in the left bag once you get that one open. There is the same kind of release in the right bag for the trunk. Just remember to reset the release into proper position in each bag (they fit onto a prong near the top of the bags) before closing things up. Smart key info starts on page 184(?) in the owner's manual. It also shows you how to use the code for the smart key system should the fob's battery or bike's battery fail.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

Last edited by budoka; 01-25-2019 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Updated info
post #25 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 02:07 PM

I purchased one last year. I only have about 1500 miles on it before I had to put it to bed for winter but those miles were wonderful. I don't think you will make a mistake getting the 2018 Wing. It is everything I could ever want in a bike. I got the DCT version and love it. Took a while to stop reaching for the clutch but have a handle on how it shifts now.
Good luck with whatever you do.
fossil92 likes this.
post #26 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 03:50 PM

Sold my Harley Ultra Limited last June for 2018 Goldwing Tour. You are correct, the GW handles with ease! Happy with the bike, no long trips yet, can't wait to see how it does. Many long trips on my old Road King and Ultra. I recently saw 2018's on sale for 22k.... You can probably find a deal out there.
post #27 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-25-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses so far......

Thanks all for chiming in and giving me more to think about. It's funny, but when I first tested out the Goldwing I kinda chuckled at the dealer when he mentioned the DCT...... heck no, I'm a Harley rider, I don't want no stinkin' automatic. Well, after researching and talking to folks like y'all, I'm seriously considering that route (in fact, 'heavily leaning that way' would be an understatement).

A little bit more about myself.... I'm a motorcycle cop, so even if I buy one, I'll still be riding a road king for work (and I do take it home). That is part of my concern with going back and forth between an automatic and the Harley. The good thing for me is I only owe about 8k on the Harley, so selling wouldn't hurt as bad as it would if I owed thousands more.

I was completely against the 'airbag' model, and just couldn't see the logic with it, but after watching a few crash tests with it, it doesn't seem quite as insane of an idea. Interested to get any thoughts on that.

Decisions, decisions...... I've always belonged to forums (Harley, cars etc) and knew this would be a good place to learn.....you haven't disappointed, and I appreciate it.
fossil92, Chopin, Badrider and 3 others like this.
post #28 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 07:58 AM
fmc

I have a flhtcui that been riding for the last few years, Tuesday of this week I bought a 2005 GW blue with only 16k miles
the main item I noticed is the slow speed turning of the H.D is much more to my liking than the GW, however probably
will get used to it soon, enjoying the challenge of the GW, much smoother ride...
FMC
post #29 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 09:14 AM
Administrator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy3422 View Post
Thanks all for chiming in and giving me more to think about. It's funny, but when I first tested out the Goldwing I kinda chuckled at the dealer when he mentioned the DCT...... heck no, I'm a Harley rider, I don't want no stinkin' automatic. Well, after researching and talking to folks like y'all, I'm seriously considering that route (in fact, 'heavily leaning that way' would be an understatement).

A little bit more about myself.... I'm a motorcycle cop, so even if I buy one, I'll still be riding a road king for work (and I do take it home). That is part of my concern with going back and forth between an automatic and the Harley. The good thing for me is I only owe about 8k on the Harley, so selling wouldn't hurt as bad as it would if I owed thousands more.

I was completely against the 'airbag' model, and just couldn't see the logic with it, but after watching a few crash tests with it, it doesn't seem quite as insane of an idea. Interested to get any thoughts on that.

Decisions, decisions...... I've always belonged to forums (Harley, cars etc) and knew this would be a good place to learn.....you haven't disappointed, and I appreciate it.

Andy, it won't be as hard as you might think. I was very concerned with the two different shift patterns between my '09 1800 and my RC51 track bike. The Wing is a standard (normal?) 5 speed with 1 down and 4 gearbox up that we all are so used to from early in our riding days. My track bike is a MotoGP (reverse pattern) 1 up and 5 down configuration. There's only been a couple times out on the track that I up shifted in stead of down shifting. Fortunately I've never down shifted when reaching for another/taller cog. I have done that on the Wing though, but don't rev the GL like I do the RC so it's not really anything scary.
What you may have the most nerves over is not having the wide open view from the saddle on a Wing that you have on the Roadking. Viewing perspective is vastly different behind that big fairing and might well affect your confidence in slow speed maneuvers until you are totally used to it. But being as you are a LEO on two wheels you should find the learning curve very short.
crownfire and Luv2fish like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #30 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-26-2019, 12:02 PM
ETC

Garage
I have worked with a few Harleys that had the resolute automatic clutch installed. It's sort of like riding an automatic. It's nice and really added to the enjoyment of riding especially if you have joint problems or like in these cases vets who suffer from war related injury. On the downside this system is murder on clutch plates so it's not a good option for goldwings. I really wish it would stop snowing as I want to test ride this 2018 I have in the garage. Oh well I will just wait until the world melts.
Meanwhile I have been looking into the tie rod situation on the new wing and it appears I have to eat some crow. While the tie rods are identical there is a small but meaningful difference with the left tie rod rear mount which changes my perceptions on this design. Goobs of geometry related so I guess another long video on this design is coming.

"Take the Right Turn"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode