Harley rider here - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 52Likes

post #11 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
@Andy3422 as others have said we have several members here with the 2018 bike. One of them is a Virginian who is never shy to share his opinion so I'm sure he will chime in at some point, also as stated previously @Chrisek is trying to wear his out quickly .

My wife an I were fortunate enough to attend the Media Ride that American Honda put together in Texas this past year and although weather didn't allow for a lot of seat time we were able to log some miles. The link below will describe the event, our riding, and some of our observations on the new machine.

https://www.goldwingowners.com/forum...de-review.html

Also Welcome to the GWOF and enjoy the search for the new ride and the site.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 06:33 AM
Super Moderator

Welcome to the GWOF from NE Pa. Hope you get your questions answered by the nice folks on here.

Charlie
<><
Proud Owner of IDMWT #1
Past rides:
1974 Blue Yamaha TX500
1986 Red Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1998 Illusion Red Goldwing 1500 SE
2009 Silver Goldwing 1800 Audio/Comfort
***(all dropped, all gone, but none forgotten)***
Present:
2003 Electron Blue Metallic Corvette 5.7

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Elected officials like diapers need to be changed regularly, both for the same reason. Mark Twain
post #13 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:02 AM

Welcome to the goldwing forum! One thing about a goldwing is that they run forever! Mine has just under 144k and runs great. Many others have more miles on them than mine.

Reading reviews about the 1800 makes think one day..... but I know my next Wing will be a newer 1500.

Ride safe!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

post #14 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 07:19 AM

Welcome from Idaho. I have a 2014 F6b, the bagger of the bunch. Although I am jealous of the white 18's, I could never give up this bike. I came from an Indian, which I took to Sturgis this year and after a ten hour day in the saddle was ready to ditch it. Stumbled across a great deal on the F6b and flew 400 miles away to pick it up and ride it home, what a bike. I really don't care what bike anyone else rides, not a brand fan boy, but the ergonomics Honda is famous for, certainly will change your world.

That being said, riding with a buddy who has a really nice tricked out Road Glide, he made the mistake of riding my Honda, came back and said "well, now I have to find one of these". To be honest, no leg heat, no noise, just butter smooth ride, you cannot go wrong. I was 20 minutes into my first ride on the bike, careening up the Columbia River gorge at 100mph, with no wind, listening to Pink Floyd and audibly whoo hoo ing all the way I was so happy.

So, try both, you can get the new models, but also STEAL the previous, I have seen brand new 17's going for $17k or less. If you can find the elusive Flat Six Bagger, take that puppy for a spin if you ride solo a lot, it's a game changer for fun. Either way, good luck on your adventures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0990.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	260431  
crownfire, DesertRat and Travler like this.
post #15 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 08:23 AM
ETC

Garage
Welcome Andy. I just got a 2018 GL1800 yesterday which is not mine but a customer ride. I am doing a video today in which I will compare the 2018 to a 2007 model. The differences are substantial and depending on how you ride and what you see as the purpose for a motorcycle may have a lot of bearing on whether you wish to own a 2018 or earlier model.
For the record I have owned several Harleys, Yamahas, Kawasaki's and in general most brands and currently own 4 goldwings a Valkyrie and Victory. This new goldwing is unlike any motorcycle I have ever owned.
I will post the video with my opinions later today.

"Take the Right Turn"
post #16 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 10:08 AM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome to the site. I personally have no seat time on the "new" Wing, but on the plus side my financial status approves. I'll not live long enough to wear out my '09 at the rate I'm going but that "new bike itis" is a powerful force. My Honda rep keeps telling me to get one but he doesn't write the checks....

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #17 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 11:37 AM
ETC

Garage
Ok here is my take on the new 18 vs previous models - Nothing to do with riding as I rode it backwards 12 feet but it was smoooooooth.

Now one thing not in the video is how to open the trunk and saddlebags if the battery is dead? this I don't know.

Badrider likes this.

"Take the Right Turn"

Last edited by ETC; 01-23-2019 at 11:46 AM.
post #18 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:51 PM

Garage
@Andy3422 , welcome to the forum! I came from Sportbikes and Supermotos to purchase my first bike over 600lbs, a 2018 Goldwing.

For me it opened a pretty big door into a whole different style of riding. In turn, I knocked out 40k miles in 6.5 months (never done more than 15k a year on a single moto before).

Whether you decide to get one or not, good on you for getting out of your comfort zone and trying one with an open mind.

Sent with aloha

Sent with aloha
post #19 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-23-2019, 02:53 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETC View Post
Now one thing not in the video is how to open the trunk and saddlebags if the battery is dead? this I don't know.

There is a keyhole underneath the top trunk to the left of the license plate up high. It will pop open the left saddle bag (I think) and then you monkey motion for the one on the right. Forgot how to open the top box.

Sent with aloha

Sent with aloha
post #20 of 38 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:19 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from northwest New Mexico. I purchased a 2018 Goldwing Tour with the DCT transmission last July. In September I went on a 3,800 mile trip up to Glacier National Park with six guys on BMWs. When the trip started the bike only had about a hundred miles on it because health issues kept me off it for about a month. So the first couple of days were getting to know the thing. I owned a 1999 Honda Valkyrie Interstate, the beautiful black and red one, for six years so knew what to expect regarding the smoothness and power of the 2018 Goldwing. Regarding the trip to Glacier it was pretty obvious that at the end of the day the guys on their GSs and RTs were more saddle sore than me on my lone Goldwing. The back rest that was installed, my first ever, was a factor in making the Goldwing a plush ride. At the start of the ride they disparaged it as a "Road Sofa" but those remarks dwindled as the trip progressed.

This bunch of guys were excellent riders and loved to go fast, way too fast. Heading west over Lolo Pass in Idaho I decided to jump out in the lead and push the Wing hard. Suffice it to say they could keep up barely but never could get around me. So as far as performance goes and handling it is pretty impressive. By the way I put the suspension setting in two up plus baggage mode to stiffen the suspension during that dash. Never dragged a foot peg even in some pretty steep lean angles.

One day we rode most of the morning in rain. The Wing was put in rain mode making it a very tame beast that was predictable. It instilled enough confidence that I felt the BMW boys were holding me up. The ABS brakes performed exceptionally well in these conditions.

Finally the wife loves it also. She didn't do much riding with me when I had my Ducati Multistrada or KTM Adventure bike because of the comfort. Now she is talking about doing some overnight trips again after riding the Goldwing. The wife's approval makes ownership that much more enjoyable and legitimate.
Badrider, crownfire, dwade and 4 others like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode