Honda Goldwing Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello from Phoenix, Arizona

6K views 32 replies 17 participants last post by  Chopin 
#1 ·
My name is Clary Roberts, 67 yrs old retired and am hopefully closing a deal to own my 3rd GW; a 2003 bright yellow with black trim, 39K miles.

I bought my first gw in '75 and second in '78. Since then been riding different bikes, mostly HD Roadglides. Hard to beat the reliability of a Honda, so here I am again!

Apparently there is a recall not completed on this bike re: rear brake drag. I'm ok buying it and resolving that with Honda myself. Paying $7,500 for the bike from private party, tires have about 500 miles on them.

Looking forward to getting up to date info on what is cost worthy to do with the bike, especially with regards to using my iPhone for nav, helmets for me and wife (he's got on that will fit wife that plugs in, I'll need to get Sena for both I think and use IPhone?)....

I'm sure there's people on here with a wealth of knowledge and perhaps someday get to meet or ride with some fine Honda folks.

See you on the forums.....

BTW, I have a helmet that fits me well...maybe I could just get the cord and adapter for my helmet to plug into the bike?

Went and looked at new helmets today, not cheap, at Cycle Gear in Mesa, AZ. Probably would be best off with bluetooth for both helmets?

I could use some guidance in this department.

And...........although I've ridden for years and different kinds of bike on road off road etc..............I know I could benefit from a riders course.

Anyone familiar with motorcycle training course in Arizona they could steer me to?

TIA,

Clary

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Welcome to the GWOF @Roadog from a future Arizonian.

There are plenty of headset system options out there. J&M will fit most of your needs if you wish to stay wired. They even have a bluetooth dongle system.

Now if you wish to explore wireless, there are two major players Sena and Scala. Others do exist but these are most popular.

In both manufactures there are many options.....Multiple bikes, multiple hookups, and many different features. For ourselves, since it was our 1st wireless headsets, I was interested in a lower cost product that would have all I would need and since my wife is the only one I want to talk to when riding, just the ability to converse with her. For those reasons I chose the Cardo (Scala) Freecom 2. We have ours now for over 1 1/2 years and feel no need to change from them.

Reactions: Roadog
#6 ·
Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone state. Nice new 2u Wing. Ride safe and enjoy the forum..

#7 ·
Hello from Chandler, happy to see
another valley dweller. I have sena for my wireless setup and if you go that route and purchase from cycle gear...get the extended warranty for it. The guys at Mesa warranty the simplest complaints with my senas and I’m happy they do as I’ve had some small issues with mine sena would have not given me the time of day with.

#8 ·
Thank you dear, I'll contact them today.

Pretty sure I know it all already, but according to my wife.....maybe not! haha

I've always heard great reports from those trainers, from newbies like my wife (who had never driven anything with a clutch/got her a Honda 250 Rebel) to associates who have years of experience.

Looking forward to it....will probably need to work on breaking some old bad habits; I'm very open minded to learning.

See you round the boards ... love your Trike, never ridden one but it may be my next purchase in a few years.

That's the exact kind of camaraderie and knowledge I was hoping to receive, thank you very much.

I know this won't seem cold to many, but got down to 47 here last night...upper 60's today.

Hola! I'm in Ahwatukee...do you ride with any groups locally?

I think Sena added to our existing helmets is the way to go.

Dropped by Cycle Gear yesterday...sticker shock on new Shoei helmet with built in Sena...almost $800! Holy cow...

Leaning now towards adding Sena to our existing helmets...thanks for the tip re: insurance.

I have a spare room!

I Dropped My Wing Today.....oh boy, better Google that one....there are those that have, and those that will, right?

Thanks for the welcome.

Clary

This post has been deleted
#11 ·
#9 ·
Welcome from the origin of the Snowbird migration. Used to be pretty familiar with the Valley, but it's been 20 years so I reckon things have changed a bunch.. Have a few friends that have winter lodging, but no family there anymore.

#10 ·
Thank you ... keep me in mind if you ever feel the need to migrate, just the wife and I and she still works as a flight attendant..so it's an old man bachelor pad half the time! haha Not much happening ... but you're welcome.

The Cardo Freedom 2 is $118 on Amazon...and $144 on Cycle Gear....however, if Cycle Gear installs it, well worth the extra $26 dollars IMHO....you can't trust me with a screwdriver or crescent wrench!!

Clary

#12 ·
That's a nice price with the install. The Freecom 2 does everything the wife and I need but there may be other features you wish to have so I encourage to check them closely.

The biggest thing that may impact you is the Freecom 2 can only communicate to the two devices you have. That works for us though as I said. We talk to all our friends at stops.

https://www.cardosystems.com/products/devices/freecom-2/

#24 ·
Welcome to you from Mississippi. I'm sure you will enjoy your ride. I use J&M corded system on mine. Next bike will have Bluetooth.

#27 ·
Welcome to you from Mississippi. I'm sure you will enjoy your ride. I use J&M corded system on mine. Next bike will have Bluetooth.

By factory default:wink2:

#28 ·
Bought me a Sena 20S EVO today..install with stock speakers (hear UClear are an upgrade) and if it stops raining take this thing out for a spin...try to use my GPS on iPhoneX, listen to music and call out...maybe Spotify...voice text? Siri!!

Should enhance the cruise...

And on another note....I've got one large antenna on the right rear of bike....I'm hoping I'll just be using bluetooth to my iPhone for everything....time to remove that big antenna or make a flag pole out of it? Isn't it primarily for cb and radio built into GL1800?

#31 ·
BTW, I have a helmet that fits me well...maybe I could just get the cord and adapter for my helmet to plug into the bike?

Went and looked at new helmets today, not cheap, at Cycle Gear in Mesa, AZ. Probably would be best off with bluetooth for both helmets?

I could use some guidance in this department.

And...........although I've ridden for years and different kinds of bike on road off road etc..............I know I could benefit from a riders course.

Anyone familiar with motorcycle training course in Arizona they could steer me to?

TIA,

Clary
Just my two cents worth: Hannah and I have Bell Mag 9 helmets designed for our SENA communicators. Fit well, not too expensive. We also have a pair or Fulmer modular with attachments for our SENA units. I prefer Bluetooth over wired because knowing the two of us, it would be only a matter of time before one or both of us exited the trike without disconnecting and BOINNGGGG there would likely go the cable! :frown2::surprise:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.