new to me Goldwing - Honda Goldwing Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

new to me Goldwing

Hello all,
suffering through a typical Canadian winter but last week finally took the plunge on a Goldwing. Bit of background: I've been riding a DL650 V Strom the last few years. Love the bike, suits me down to the ground, but my darling has found it increasingly uncomfortable on longer rides. Our last trip was a 2 week, 4000 km,(2500 mile), trip from Ontario to the Gaspé peninsula in Quebec last summer. Lovey arrived home pretty much shattered. Since I wish for us to continue riding together on long trips I have researched bigger bikes to death, and have realized that I am old enough, fat enough, and just barely moneyed enough to justify one of these amazing machines. Been looking at various bikes; last week I bought a 2006 gl1800 with navigation and comfort package, with 26000kms, (about 16000 miles).

So, questions: bike is pretty much stock. What additions do I need to invest in? Specifically heel/toe shifter/running boards; what say the forum? I think luggage liners are a given. Anything else? Limited budget but want the first trip to blow Lovey away.

This forum seems to be the go-to Goldwing site. Looking forward to hearing from you all.

Cheers,
Chris from Ontario,Canada
HappyTrails and ron203 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 06:10 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum from Michigan.

As far as extras to add to the new to you bike I really like my Baker Air Wings. Also some highway pegs for you and Transformer passenger floor boards for her. Not a big fan of heal/toe shifters and driver floor boards, but to each their own.

Ride safely, you will love the comfort of the 'Wing.
Behind bars, dsurley and cbstrom like this.

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
2003 GL1800, 1978 Kawasaki KZ650(needs restoring)

"Glory Days"

Jim King, Beartooth Clan member, IDMWT #89, Geezer Gang #2, 2018 Beer Cap Champ
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 07:09 PM

Garage
Welcome from Va.

Highway pegs are a must. Not a lot of good reviews from those who use the heel-toe shifter.
Handlebar risers help with the shoulder pain on a long ride.
Air Deflector.
Fog or driving lights.
We can keep going but whatever makes it comfy.
Check and see what maintenance has been done. Always good to check the air filter. Bought my 06 with low miles and found a mouse nest in the filter.

Behind "Goldwing" Bars

I'm Claustrophobic so I ride a motorcycle

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 08:48 PM

Garage
arm rests with the built in cup holder for the wifey

A back rest for you when you are driving alone.... some complain that if the driver back rest is on, it limits the passenger room... but that depends on the type you get

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 09:08 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome from Pennsylvania.

Charlie
<><
Proud Owner of IDMWT #1
Past rides:
1974 Blue Yamaha TX500
1986 Red Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1998 Illusion Red Goldwing 1500 SE
2009 Silver Goldwing 1800 Audio/Comfort
***(all dropped, all gone, but none forgotten)***
Present:
2003 Electron Blue Metallic Corvette 5.7

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Elected officials like diapers need to be changed regularly, both for the same reason. Mark Twain
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-21-2018, 10:14 PM

Garage
Welcome from Vancouver Island. I got my first wing bar in Aug. I have add LED' on the rear and a belly pan. Have LED headlights on order.

Jer
Let's ride and hey let's be careful out there
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 01:28 AM

2 people/2 weeks/2500 miles on a 650 V-Strom?!?!?! Damn right you need a Goldwing!!!!

When buying accessories, be sure you're buying for your '06 year. Most, but not all accessories made for pre-'06 will fit. Most of us frequently buy from Wing Stuff, a forum sponsor. I'll also buy from my local dealer where GWRRA members get a 10% discount and no shipping. And I'll also buy from the local dealer if they are going to install it for me (another discount).

Passenger arm rests with a cup holder are a must have. The most popular comes from Kury. Also from Kury, the Transformer passenger floor board gives the passenger an extra seating position. They're almost highway pegs for the back seat.

A lot of what you'll buy for yourself, will depend on your build and height, and your wants and needs. For things like highway pegs and bar risers, ride the bike for a while before you buy so you'll have a better idea of what you need to suit you. I don't use highway pegs because of knee and hip issues.

But the most common items will start with wind protection. I prefer the full line of Baker Air Wings. They even reduce the buffeting for the passenger. I like heel-and-toe shifters, but if you wear insulated boots for riding in Canada, the boots may be too long to fit comfortably in the shifter. You might have to angle your toes outward. A cup holder for you is another must have. I use a Butler holder, but the Butler cup (to me) is a waste.

No doubt you're going to buy a lot more, but most of that will depend on personal preference and what the bike already has. We probably have a couple thousand years of combined experience here, so don't be shy. Ask any and all questions. The only dumb questions will be the ones you didn't ask. And we occasionally come up with some dumb answers, too.

Welcome to the forum, Chris.
crownfire likes this.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 02:31 AM

Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Sounds like a great bike congratulations on your new to you goldwing.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 04:51 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
You've gotten some great ideas from the guys and are sure on your way. My list in order of importance would be as follows:

1) Highway Pegs (for you)
2) Backrest (for you) At this point a guy is pushing it so......
3) Arm rests (for Lovey)
4) Baker Wings - Hands/Legs (for both of you)
5) Communication System if you don't already have it
6) Cup holders are nice

On one final note, can you post some pics of the new ride and the Vstrom (I have always had a crush on them)? We like photos here and Welcome to the GWOF from PA.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 08:14 AM

Welcome from the northern tier of PA. I would recommend a back rest, highway pegs, heel/toe shifter, foot boards for you and passegner, and passenger arm rests. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

Superdave1120
Sayre, PA
1980 650 Yamaha First Ride
1989 GL1500 First Wing
2006 750 Shadow Wifes Ride
2012 GL1800 New Wing (Red)
IBA #63784
Darksider #1664
Michelin Alpine P3 195/55/R16
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode