new to me Goldwing - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 8Likes

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

hello chris, welcome to GWOF and congrats!! i'll be across the blue water bridge so I can take a peek at Georgian bay once the weather breaks

'75cb750k '05sunL 70
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'11 GSA
'06 mighty ST1300a

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
ama
GWOF iba with timS #03
iba 58509
mile eater
hat
moa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 04:22 PM Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the input. I think I'll take everyone's good advice, but do intend riding a few hundred kms before narrowing down what will work best for me. I'll post some pics when I figure out how to; still new to the forum, so it'll take a while. Now I just have to wait on spring like everyone else in the snow belt.
823Jim likes this.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 PM

Welcome from Glen Allen, Va.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 01:21 AM

Welcome to forums and congrats on new bike.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 04:57 AM

Welcome to you from Mississippi. The first thing I added was a belly pan to protect the radiator overflow bottle. After that the air wings, the only one I added is under the mirrors. They push the wind around you, or toward you as needed. For me the seat was a little close so I obtained a custom seat that sits me back a few inches which helped the knees. Then to help the shoulders I added risers to the bars to bring them up and back. The highway pegs came after riding mine for 5 years. I think it's perfect now.

A couple of us will be riding over to the Gaspe area this spring. Look forward to seeing that piece of the world.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 11:09 AM

Garage
Welcome to the forum. You already have a list of the top options to add if the bike does not already have them. I am one of the few that really likes the boards with the heel-toe shifter. When wearing my armored boots and using the pegs I would often miss a shift because the boots were thick enough to not allow the shifter to reset after a previous shift unless I forced my toes downward which is not a natural movement and I did not like it. The heel-toe shifter takes some getting used to, but I really like it. The boards I got from Kurry fold up like the pegs when you drag them so I think ground clearance is the same.

Another thing to add to the list is a 12 volt outlet in the left hand driver's pocket. It is pretty easy to do and there are kits available. Since you like long trips, you might want to consider a trailer hitch. I added one last year and put a rack on it so we could have extra luggage space for a long trip with iffy weather.
budoka likes this.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-23-2018, 05:50 PM Thread Starter

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by crownfire View Post
Welcome to you from Mississippi. The first thing I added was a belly pan to protect the radiator overflow bottle. After that the air wings, the only one I added is under the mirrors. They push the wind around you, or toward you as needed. For me the seat was a little close so I obtained a custom seat that sits me back a few inches which helped the knees. Then to help the shoulders I added risers to the bars to bring them up and back. The highway pegs came after riding mine for 5 years. I think it's perfect now.

A couple of us will be riding over to the Gaspe area this spring. Look forward to seeing that piece of the world.
Hello Crownfire,
A couple things about the Gaspé. First, the very best base camp is Percé. The ride in from the highway is nothing short of spectacular. The view of Percé rock is classic. The town is touristy but fun; there are lots of things to do, good restaurants, excellent boat tours of the rock and Ile Bonaventure national park. Not sure your direction of travel but the best ride is north and east of Percé. The ride to Metane is the best of the Gaspé and if you've time to take the ferry north across to Godbout, the ride from there to Baie Comeau is one of the classic bike roads, superb pavement, awesome hills and twisties, amazing scenery. In actual fact we rode it from west to east, from Ontario, and it was truly one of the best tours I've done. If I can be of help let me know.

Still winter here.......

Last edited by cbstrom; 02-23-2018 at 05:53 PM. Reason: trying to remove shitty face; not in the right spot
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbstrom View Post
Hello Crownfire,
A couple things about the Gaspé. First, the very best base camp is Percé. The ride in from the highway is nothing short of spectacular. The view of Percé rock is classic. The town is touristy but fun; there are lots of things to do, good restaurants, excellent boat tours of the rock and Ile Bonaventure national park. Not sure your direction of travel but the best ride is north and east of Percé. The ride to Metane is the best of the Gaspé and if you've time to take the ferry north across to Godbout, the ride from there to Baie Comeau is one of the classic bike roads, superb pavement, awesome hills and twisties, amazing scenery. In actual fact we rode it from west to east, from Ontario, and it was truly one of the best tours I've done. If I can be of help let me know.

Still winter here.......
Awesome! Thank you. This is a ride WARWGN has planned and I'll pass along your comments. We will be riding up to Gaspe from Prince Edward Island and Nova Scotia. So we should pass right by Perce on a way to a campground up above Gaspe. I can't recall if we have a layover day there, but if we do I hope to hike out to the Cape Gaspe lighthouse. After there we were planning on Hwy 198 to 192 and along the St. Lawrence to Matane for a ferry ride to Godbout. Then west to the Saguenay for the night. Next day is across and west to Moonbeam, Ontario. Any comments or advice is always welcome. It's not snowing here, but the rain is keeping me in and looking at maps anyway.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 06:57 AM
Administrator

Garage
Not much I can add on the accessory list other than maybe a set of foam grip (puppies?) for the handlebars. I added them a couple years ago and they really help on long days.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-24-2018, 01:28 PM

Welcome to the forum from Huntsville Ontario cb. You and your better half will love the Wing. I call my wife Velcro cause every time I turn around she's sitting on the back.
Where do you call home?
Strat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode