Looking for advice.. - Honda Goldwing Forums
 12Likes

post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Looking for advice..

Joined the forum to learn more about the Wing.. Currently I'm riding a 2012 Kawasaki Voyager, love the bike, but I want to upgrade for more comfort, better Stereo, Navigation, Bluetooth and most of all comfort for my wife riding passenger.
Currently looking at 2017 Goldwing, the Harley Road Glide Ultra or Electra Glide Ultra. After reading about the new Yamaha Venture with the engineering of old push rod technologies i think i have eliminated it from the list unless anyone can inform me that its not an issue I should be concerned with.
I guess i would have to say my biggest concern is reliability, and then of course would like to try and save some money, that is why i am looking at the 2017 year model Goldwing. I see some without ABS for around 19K and with ABS for 23K. Is ABS an absolute should have?

I put around 3 or 4 trips a year of 3500 miles and since I live in El Paso, I get to ride almost 365 days so add another 7 to 8K miles a year. Any advice is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:01 PM

As far as reliability it's the Wing hand down. In 11 years I did 220,000 miles on my 2006. Major problems were final drive seal replaced , final drive crack bearing, alternator replaced all under the extended warranty at around 145,000 miles. I now have a 2017 level 3 which is everything except airbag. The only thing the 2017 level 3 wing doesn't have that you mentioned is Bluetooth but after market
can fix that.

What ever you choose enjoy the rider.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 08:54 PM

If looking at the 2017 wing check the Honda accessories you want and make sure there available. Read somebody bought a 2017 and could not find the spoiler brake light available anymore. I went from a Vaquero to the wing and have never looked back, great bike and I ride 95% of the time 2 up. Hope that helps.
Jinx likes this.

You lips move but I can't hear what your saying

2014 GL1800 Audio Comfort Candy Red
2011 Vulcan Vaquero sold
2009 Vulcan 900LT sold

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 09:31 PM

Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. Can't help you with the modern wings.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-16-2018, 10:12 PM
I really think the Goldwing is the best choice. I feel large displacement touring bikes that will see all day riding and big miles really should be liquid cooled. The Yamaha is a nice riding bike but I believe the V-twin air cooled engine is a real draw back. Liquid cooled multi cylinder makes for a much better engine for a touring bike, no overheating issues and a cooler smoother ride for the rider. Harley's only liquid cool the heads and not even that on all models, after market "Hot Jug" cooling fans available because it is a well recognized problem.

Buy the 'Wing, you will not be sorry. Happy riding on what ever you choose and welcome to the forum from Michigan.

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
2003 GL1800, 1978 Kawasaki KZ650(needs restoring)

"Glory Days"

Jim King, Beartooth Clan member, IDMWT #89, Geezer Gang #2, 2018 Beer Cap Champ
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty360 View Post
If looking at the 2017 wing check the Honda accessories you want and make sure there available. Read somebody bought a 2017 and could not find the spoiler brake light available any more. I went from a Vaquero to the wing and have never looked back, great bike and I ride 95% of the time 2 up. Hope that helps.
That was me. I could not get the spoiler for my 2017 red wing.Honda has already discontinued them and there out of stock. Got lucky and found one on Ebay.

So yes check and see if you can get the accessories.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 823Jim View Post
I really think the Goldwing is the best choice. I feel large displacement touring bikes that will see all day riding and big miles really should be liquid cooled. The Yamaha is a nice riding bike but I believe the V-twin air cooled engine is a real draw back. Liquid cooled multi cylinder makes for a much better engine for a touring bike, no overheating issues and a cooler smoother ride for the rider. Harley's only liquid cool the heads and not even that on all models, after market "Hot Jug" cooling fans available because it is a well recognized problem.

Buy the 'Wing, you will not be sorry. Happy riding on what ever you choose and welcome to the forum from Michigan.

^^ what he said.

Late model HD's are hot as hells hammers. Been there, done that.

I still ride my Evo, for ice cream, once in a while.
823Jim likes this.

The FIRST GWOF IB TRIO. July 16, 2016
Charter Members:
Fossil92 - WingNutGordo - GoldWingKing

GWOF IB Couples ride. 1008.3 Mi. September 14, 2016
GWOF IB Couples ride II. 1045.6 Mi. September 16, 2016

Traxxion Dynamics, Mega Monte.
Bridgestone Driveguard RunFlat.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 04:55 AM

Welcome to GWOF. I think you might get a bit of a biased answer here but I'll jump on the bandwagon. I had not ridden for about 30 years when I got my 2015. I was a bit concerned with the size but found that not to be an issue once you're moving. It rides like a dream and I enjoy the quiet, smooth acceleration and smooth ride. I think you would also love that part of the Goldwing. I looked at a lot of used bikes and found many (most) were sold with less than 25,000 miles. When I was looking at Goldwings I started seeing used bikes with 80,000 - 150,000 miles and the owner saying they ran great. If you're looking for reliability that in itself a testament. I ended up with a 2015 (with ABS) and only have 15,000 miles on it, but absolutely no issues. I have a good friend with a 2016 HD that has already has shifter breakage and it only has 4,000 miles on it.

As far as ABS, I had not ridden a bike with it before the Goldwing but I'm sold. It really makes a difference on a "controlled stop". The really great thing is you can't really attribute it to ABS because you don't feel a thing. Unlike my truck, which vibrates like heck with the ABS kicks in, the Goldwing is just a smooth, non-skid stop. There are a bunch of Youtube videos on bikes with/without ABS and they will help you make a decision.

Good luck but as others have said, you will not go wrong with the Wing.

Steve
Jinx, Behind bars and dsurley like this.

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 05:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well the 1800 guys have you off to a fine start on some of the ins and outs of the Wing. So like my mate Eric, I will just Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone State.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 02-17-2018, 05:12 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Thanks everyone for the input, i think i was sold on the wing and was just looking for the final nudge to push me over. Currently on business travel until the end of April, so hopefully mid May should have new pic's of the ride i get. I guess one last question, i like the size of the 2017 and below wings, and with the loss of bag space, is the 2018 a better path or does it matter as long as i get one with ABS?

Again Thanks All
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode