New Member - Honda Goldwing Forums
 2Likes

post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Hi,

I am Jason from ontario canada. Ive been out of riding for about 4 years and am looking at getting back into it. I used to ride sport bikes and did some shorter touring on them. i now have a spouse who i would like to ride with me so i am looking at a goldwing as opposed to a sport tourer. I am 27 years old and am just wondering if i am too young for a goldwing? also wondering how much i will miss the performance of sport bikes? any advice from others who have made the transition would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-03-2018, 11:03 PM
Lifetime Premium

Welcome to the GWOF, you'll love the Gold Wing

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 04:33 AM

Welcome to you from Mississippi. The Gold Wing is a sport bike with a lot of plastic to hide that. Besides that, your wife will thank you and enjoy the ride.
Ralphumor and Jinx like this.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 04:55 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Welcome to the GWOF from the Keystone State in USA.

As the boys already said the Wing will suffice with it's own power, however make no mistake it is much heavier than a sportbike and a totally different riding position.

Having said that I am not trying to dissuade you at all, just pointing some items out. My recommendation would be for you to find someone that will let you ride theirs, or a dealer that will allow a test ride.

If your intention is for you and your wife to cover some ground, see some of your great country, pop over the border and visit your friends to the south, then you will find no better machine for the task (500-700 miles are an easy accomplishment). Also as my colleague @crownfire alluded they are a performance machine in sheep's clothing.

Check them out.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

Last edited by fossil92; 01-04-2018 at 05:04 AM.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 06:30 AM

Garage
Welcome from Virginia,

The Goldwing is a sport bike. It just requires that the rider matures a little and understand it weight vs power ratio. As long as you understand the language the wing will sing to you. It will take a few thousand mile riding solo to get the feel but you won't find anyone here who would trade for another ride that can match the comfort and handling of a wing.
Just my opinion

Ride safe

Brian

Behind "Goldwing" Bars

I'm Claustrophobic so I ride a motorcycle
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 06:35 AM

Welcome from the northern tier of PA. As others have said the wing is a sport bike in disguise. Good luck in your search. Enjoy the forum and ride safe.

Superdave1120
Sayre, PA
1980 650 Yamaha First Ride
1989 GL1500 First Wing
2006 750 Shadow Wifes Ride
2012 GL1800 New Wing (Red)
IBA #63784
Darksider #1664
Michelin Alpine P3 195/55/R16
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Garage
Welcome Jason. First things first, you are not "too young" to ride a Goldwing. I bought my (brand new) 1984 Interstate the spring before I turned 27 and I'm 60 going on 27 now. I had been riding CB750's, a 450 Hawk and a Norton Commando prior to then. I have owned several sport bikes (including my current '03 RC51 track bike) as well as my Goldwings from '84 to '94 when I had a weak brain moment and went briefly to that US brand from the Lakeside State. While it's true the Wing is a couch, even the older ones are surprisingly agile once you get the feel for them. I often actively pursue sport riders in the hills just to see their reaction as they really push it to leave me behind (and her when we're two up) in the twisties.
Take my cohort's advice and see if you can garner a ride on one, you won't be disappointed. They'll drag some hard parts, but mostly it's the pegs/boards and they fold up quite a ways when riding aggressively so enjoy the sparks. Only thing I've found is the tang on the left side of the centerstand can get a bit em, exciting if you happen to encounter a big dip in the road when heeled over.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:51 AM

Garage
Jason
Welcome to the forum. 27 is not too young. I think you will find the GW a great bike but as we mature, we realize that our needs change - especially that significant other. I would evaluate her needs first. What is she comfortable with? How much does she want to ride? I rode a Kaw Concourse C10 for a few years and met couples on them. I'm not talking down the GW but that bike was sportier than the GW. However, my wife was not comfortable so eventually it went by the way. Loved it and would ride one again given the chance but it just won't work for me (well Cindy).
Keep safe.

Tim Schutter
84 GL1200 Aspy
Freedom is not the right to do as you please; it is the liberty to do as you ought.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 10:52 AM

Welcome to the forum from Richmond, Virginia. Good luck in your search. Nothing rides like a wing. I went from a midsize cruiser to the wing. After a 20 minute test ride I was sold. The wing is so well balanced it practically drives itself. Since you already know how to ride, it won’t take you long to adapt to the wing.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-04-2018, 04:09 PM

Good luck on your search. When my 27 year old son took my Gold Wing for a ride he came immediately said it reminded him of his crotch rocket when it was moving. He now owns a Harley sport bike and said his next bike is a Gold Wing so he can take longer trips with his wife. Sounds like you’re on the right track.

Steve

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode