Where am I - Honda Goldwing Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 10:42 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Where am I

Greetings to all! My name is Dave. I own a 2007 Goldwing and a 2010 ST1300. I graduated from a 2004 ST to the 'wing about 6 yrs ago. I added the '10 ST to the barn 2 yrs ago but don't ride it much. On my wing I have built a custom dash/shelf out of aluminum that houses mounting for my iPhone, Garmin, a nightlight, voltmeter and power outlet for any accessories. I also built an aux 4 gallon fuel tank also out of 5052 aluminum that mounts across the pass hand grips, a 1 1/2 gallon stainless water tank mounted on the passenger foot plate operated via push button and washer pump from the right hand grip. I will post some pics as soon as I find out to post them. Am looking forward to enjoying my stay here and possibly meeting some of you on the road.

dave
crownfire and Madrussian like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 11:37 AM
Super Moderator

hello dave, welcome to GWOF!! to post a pic reply to this then click " go advanced " hit manage attachments to upl0ad. once the pic ( s ) upload click on reply
right now I'm riding a mighty ST 1300a also and it's a 2006 plus I ride a '93 1500se. the mighty ST 1300 has a three gallon fuel cell, gen-mar bar riser, mcl highway blades, extra LED lighting in the front and rear

'75cb750k '05sunL 70
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'11 GSA
'06 mighty ST1300a

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
ama
GWOF iba with timS #03
iba 58509
mile eater
hat
moa
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 12:47 PM Thread Starter

Garage
Where am I?

Here's a couple of pics of my wing.
Left handlebar has the heated gear controls
Right handlebar has the button for my water tank to drink on the road.
I will be designing a different dash this winter as I'm jazzed about the 2018 Wing dash, then maybe something for the ST1300.

dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1028.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	88.0 KB
ID:	244977   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0171.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	244985   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0155.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	244993  
Jinx, Madrussian and LittleJoe(64) like this.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 12:59 PM

With that spiffy tank, you must be one of them iron-butt-ers type who likes to stay on a bike for two days at a time before stopping for ice-cream, ah?

I am gonna keep you in mind if I need any welding. You seem to be pretty talented there.

Every Summer I try to ride between them lakes, only to be denied by gigantic storms.

Is there ever Sunny from Fort Wayne heading North on 75 or 127 or 131...anyway to travel from NY to Duluth (between Lake Michigan and Huron such that I don't have to brave softball hail, 90mph wind?

Story:
One time I was in Brooklyn, looked at the weather rpt. in the evening and it promised a clear passage between the lakes. I was excited.

Following morning I am packing to head thattaway. As intuition would have it, I checked MyRadar app for the fun of seeing that area clear. Lo, and behold: a hellacious storm had been borned overnight: 90 miles per hour linear winds, hail, cars flipped over, tree uprooted...it was a deflating moment for sure...unpacked, went back to watching TV.

A giant star blew up, elements combined, a long time passed and then, there you are. The mother of all mothers, even yours, is a supernova.

Last edited by nando; 12-02-2017 at 01:16 PM.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 02:46 PM
Super Moderator

does the fuel cell have a quick release so you can take it off? mine does not
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20171022_085708.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	245017  

'75cb750k '05sunL 70
'79cb750f '93 gl1500 se
'79 super K '85 cb450 sc
'11 GSA
'06 mighty ST1300a

~ william ~
IDMWt #13
ama
GWOF iba with timS #03
iba 58509
mile eater
hat
moa
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
With that spiffy tank, you must be one of them iron-butt-ers type who likes to stay on a bike for two days at a time before stopping for ice-cream, ah?

I am gonna keep you in mind if I need any welding. You seem to be pretty talented there.

Every Summer I try to ride between them lakes, only to be denied by gigantic storms.

Is there ever Sunny from Fort Wayne heading North on 75 or 127 or 131...anyway to travel from NY to Duluth (between Lake Michigan and Huron such that I don't have to brave softball hail, 90mph wind?

Story:
One time I was in Brooklyn, looked at the weather rpt. in the evening and it promised a clear passage between the lakes. I was excited.

Following morning I am packing to head thattaway. As intuition would have it, I checked MyRadar app for the fun of seeing that area clear. Lo, and behold: a hellacious storm had been borned overnight: 90 miles per hour linear winds, hail, cars flipped over, tree uprooted...it was a deflating moment for sure...unpacked, went back to watching TV.
Sorry to hear of your bad luck getting thru Michigan. I live in west Michigan about 65 miles from Lake Michigan and we really had a pretty good summer for riding this year. I put over 18,000 miles on my 'wing this last summer and the worst winds I rode in were in South Dakota and Kansas. Michigan usually not all that bad in July, Aug. and Sept. you will have to try again.

Oh, by the way hi Dave and welcome to the group.

Semi overturned by wind Aug. 2017 Kansas
Hail in same storm
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	WaKeeney  KS Rolle+semi.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	245001   Click image for larger version

Name:	WaKeeney KS hail.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	245009  

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
2003 GL1800, 1978 Kawasaki KZ650(needs restoring)

"Glory Days"

Jim King, Beartooth Clan member, IDMWT #89, Geezer Gang #2, 2018 Beer Cap Champ
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 04:18 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I kind of ran out of money plumbing the tank so I just have the gland nut connections.(will make it QD this winter) I cap the fitting on the stock tank when I'm not using the aux tank. I came down out of the UP through Wisconsin in 2007 on my '04 ST. It poured from Houghton all the way through Chicago. I was riding with 3 guys on hardleys ( I give them the credit since they got soaked too) so of course we had to stop in Milwaukee. Well we got off the wrong exit..........during rush hour..............in the rain............I have real good rain gear now.........and I don't ride with those guys anymore...........
Being a retired sheetmetal worker I have fabrication facilities in my garage and a line on any kind of metal from the shop I used to work at. My aux tank on the wing is 4 gals right up to the fill spout. I could of made it hold 5 (to satisfy IBA rules of 11.5 gallons on board) but I wanted the back lid to open all the way.

Thanks for all the welcomes

dave
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 06:22 PM

Welcome welcome, I thought that could be a peach making set up.
crownfire likes this.

Darksider #1247Michelin AlpinPA3 195/55/R16
AMA 2006 Titanium GL1800 w/ COMF, NAV
August in Pa. Come VISIT
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome to you from Mississippi. I'm a displaced Michigander. Grew up in Detroit and went to college in Houghton at Michigan Tech. I did make it back up to the eastern UP this past summer. While it was pretty cool for me, the weather was beautiful. I miss the snow being down here since 82, but I do get to ride year round so I make the best of it. Also if I was to move any farther north I would miss my wife. She's a Mississippi girl and our move 9 years ago from the coast to just north of I-20 is too far north for her. Enjoy the forum, there's plenty of good people. We get together and ride some too so keep an eye out. There is a meet-n-greet in early June in Missouri.

https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums...10-2018-a.html

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-02-2017, 11:04 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum, Dave and congratulations on your mods. They look great.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode