Front fender issue - Honda Goldwing Forums
 4Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 10:14 AM Thread Starter

Front fender issue

I have a 2012 Honda Goldwing trike. The rear of the front fender is cracked, broken. The fender has a DEALER installed extension installed when new. The dealer now says not covered under warrenty because of extension, says I must have hit something. I have not hit ANYTHING on my new bike. I believe that a fatigue crack that got worse with time. Not sure what my next step will be, but looks like I may have to eat cost of a new fender and supports. NOT HAPPY with dealer support.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 12:33 PM

You have to read the FINE PRINT in the warranty! Most dealers do NOT cover ANYTHING that is not installed at the factory EVEN if THEY installed it! Sorry.
tfdeputydawg likes this.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 08:05 PM

Welcome to the cracked fender club! I saw the warnings but proceeded anyway. I used the Show Chrome long extension, it came with the inner fender supports, what could go wrong? I installed it meticulously following the instructions. The first crack showed up on the back, tried to stop drill at the top of the crack, it was at the back of the fender, who's gonna see it, then it broke at the sides

Replaced the fender, still have the extension, but it sits in a cabinet. I like the look, and if I decide to try it again, I'll try to come up with another way of mounting, considered tape or solvent adhesive, but haven't pulled the trigger
Weege likes this.

2012 GL1800 Glint Wave Blue Metallic #568

Gone but not forgotten...
2000 GL1500SE Pearl Coronado Blue
1996 GL1500SE Candy Spectre Red
1984 GL1200 Aspencade Pearl Siren Blue
GL1000 Black
1982 VF750S V45 Sabre

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-06-2013, 08:02 PM

Heed the Warnings

I had the fender extension on my 2003 Wing, it was on the bike when I bought it with 45000 miles. I drove it to 80000 without a problem, and did not baby the bike.

However, as I have been reading, there have been a lot of concerns about the fender cracking with with extension. I will NOT be buying one for my 2012 Wing. I do not like all the road junk that is kicked up on the bike without the extension, but I would like even less having to replace the fender!

1968 CL350
1984 Aspencade
2003 Silver Goldwing
2012 Blue Goldwing
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003 GL1800 POLICE View Post
You have to read the FINE PRINT in the warranty! Most dealers do NOT cover ANYTHING that is not installed at the factory EVEN if THEY installed it! Sorry.
The dealer doesn't "cover" anything that has to do w/factory warranty!
Factory warranty, as a rule, does not cover any failures that can be attributed to non-approved modifications or non-approved parts/accessories.
Been quite some time since I've heard of a cracked fender! Most of those, IMO where/are caused by excessive torquing of the mounting screws when installing the extension.
Now, having said all that. This is a trike, maybe has a rake kit (mine does). That should be a non-issue. My extension has been on since the bike was new in 2006, triked in 2010.
I would be discussing this issue w/the owner of the installing dealership. While telling the OP the cracked fender is not covered by warranty due to the fender extension is true. However, IMO, the dealer has some responsibility here, since they installed the extension. If they are claiming it was impacted, where is the damage showing this? With the position of a front fender extension, maybe the person making this statement should enlightened the OP what could possibly "impact" the extension that would cause the fender to crack???????

Last edited by tfdeputydawg; 07-11-2015 at 07:52 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-07-2013, 02:46 AM
Lifetime Premium

I had the cracked fender after " I " installed my fender extension last year. I'm 100% sure I'm responsible. After $175 later for a new rear fender, I'm naturally a bit gun shy about doing it again even knowing now what I didn't know then. I have no doubt that a cracked front fender is the result of installation. It's easy to tell because the cracks emanate from the screw fasteners.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 08:29 PM

On my 2012 when cleaning the bike at 28K I noticed a crack on the right side of the rear front fender. It was in the shop at 11K for fork seals. Other than that repair the part has never been off of the bike.

Honda will not warranty the part, nor will the dealer who did the fork seals. Upon removing the fender it looks like perhaps it was torqued to tight when put back on the bike. I am trying ABS cement based on my reading, but not holding out much hope.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150707_133947_19503430555_o.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	140681   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150707_134020_19496861332_o.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	140689   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150707_134517_19477483836_o.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	140697  

1968 CL350
1984 Aspencade
2003 Silver Goldwing
2012 Blue Goldwing
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-10-2015, 11:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Guy View Post
On my 2012 when cleaning the bike at 28K I noticed a crack on the right side of the rear front fender. It was in the shop at 11K for fork seals. Other than that repair the part has never been off of the bike.

Honda will not warranty the part, nor will the dealer who did the fork seals. Upon removing the fender it looks like perhaps it was torqued to tight when put back on the bike. I am trying ABS cement based on my reading, but not holding out much hope.
I did reinforce broken fender with a HEAVY dose of expoxy, seems to hold so far. Fender is a VERY light construction for sure, I recommend all owners remove fender and reinforce with a HERAVY dose of epoxy before cracking begins Jeff trikeman
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 02:26 PM
Administrator

Garage
Sorry Jeff, is that the rear section of the front fender? I got a bit confused until I saw the pictures and that's what it looks like to me. We've been lucky with our customer's bikes, but my own 1800 was over-torqued during PDI on one of the lower front cowl mounting bolts (collar screws) and it cracked in the first couple months. Had it been a customer's bike the piece would have been replaced without question, for me it didn't matter so much, pretty much out of sight out of mind.

As a matter of point, anyone that takes a bike to any dealer should carefully inspect the machine with the service writer and then document it. Any wrong doings that show up afterward when you inspect the bike before taking it back home will be visible and they have no recourse but to fix it. If nothing else it will insure that they know you are fussy and will be on the lookout for damage upon return and they'll be more careful.
Weege likes this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-13-2015, 11:15 PM

We just found a crack in My dad front rear fender where his extension is bolted, his bike has less than 6K miles on it. The best We can figure is something had to have gotten slung in it just right to wedge for a second and then fling out. Mine has had one on it for 21K miles now with no issues and I ride it through gravel a lot. His never leaves asphalt. Its a weird thing really. Hope mine never cracks.
Weege likes this.

Nothing rides quite like a Goldwing...
2012 GL 1800 level 2 Audio/Comfort/Navi/XM (ultra blue metallic)
1987 GL 1200 Aspencade (wine berry) sold

IDMWT Club Member#45

The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards.- Paul "Bear" Bryant
~Be allergic to average!~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode