Rear suspension Idea....( am i going to die ) - Honda Goldwing Forums
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Ron Robertson
  • 1 Post By Ron Robertson

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-25-2019, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via Yahoo to mattsezz
Lightbulb Rear suspension Idea....( am i going to die )

On my 89 GL1500, I often adjust my rear air for myself....then when riding a passenger, as Im sure we all do.
But 2 things are on my mind.
1 being the fact that my aging air system struggles to air up my ride......and to hold the air long term.
and 2, over time i notice my rear tire wearing off center. I credit this to the spring being a constant....and the air side always changing.
I recently found myself in a rare opportunity to get all mad scientist ......because I just purchased a complete, yet dead GL 1500 for parts. Im thinking of using my spare spring shock to replace my air shock......running duel springs, and no air ride.
I can find zero information on doing this, so I assume no one has?
Seems like it should work great.....on paper.....but id love some input.
A single shock is NOT able to support the bike very well alone......so while maybe alittle firm......in my mind it should make my rear much more stable......?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2019, 12:12 AM
Lifetime Premium

Get a set of Progressive shocks for it.. Also have you dried the crystal in the on board compressor??
budoka and A1sparkey like this.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-11-2019, 10:09 PM Thread Starter

ummm....the what?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:01 AM
Lifetime Premium

On the left side under the rear side panel back by the front edge of saddle bag you should see the pump on the bottom is a glass bowl with the dry crystal. That dry to air going through the pump. They are probably blue in color, the should be clear if they are dry. If their blue take the out and put them on a micro wave safe placend heat them for a few second do this till they turn to a clear look.
Also with bike on the center stand get hold of the bottom of the rear wheel and try to move it side to side. Ifit moves the rear wheel bearing needs replacing.

Ron
IDMWT #5
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 10:12 AM Thread Starter

Good info, thanks.
It has gotten to the point where i can air up the shock with compressor in garage, but the on board just runs and runs with no effect.
Wheel bearings are good, I just had it all apart as I Dark Sided my Goldwing ( best mod I ever did )
65% or the time there are 2 of us on the bike, and even aired up i can really tell the diff from where my eye line is from the top of the windshield, and i dont like having to run that much pressure for 2 people. (107 to 110 with us sitting on the bike at a stop sign ) Any lower, and the rear droops noticeably on the road.
So running 2 coil overs is deff in my future
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 12:10 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsezz View Post
Good info, thanks.
It has gotten to the point where i can air up the shock with compressor in garage, but the on board just runs and runs with no effect.
Wheel bearings are good, I just had it all apart as I Dark Sided my Goldwing ( best mod I ever did )
65% or the time there are 2 of us on the bike, and even aired up i can really tell the diff from where my eye line is from the top of the windshield, and i dont like having to run that much pressure for 2 people. (107 to 110 with us sitting on the bike at a stop sign ) Any lower, and the rear droops noticeably on the road.
So running 2 coil overs is deff in my future
Be very Carefull using a shop compressor to air up the shocks, Although shocks are high press they are Low volume and it's easy to blow out the seals. Progressive makes a nice Metered Hand pump for airing up shocks by hand.
Stratman likes this.

Ron
IDMWT #5
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-12-2019, 03:09 PM

Great advise from Ron as usual. Being stupid, I filled my '82 rear shock at a service station pump. Not good ! The good news is it doesn't take long .
Ride safe,
Strat
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode