Blu Tooth? - Honda Goldwing Forums
 8Likes

post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 09:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Question Blu Tooth?

I just got a 1988 GL1500 with a nice stereo and cb radio. Wondering if it is worth getting new headsets for the existing setup or get a new Blu Tooth set up. I'm new to this Goldwing stuff, used to just listening to loud exhaust when I ride. Thanks in advance.
fossil92 and Luv2fish like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:10 AM

I am a wired head set guy. I don't want to have to worry about charging a Blu Tooth unit every day when on a multi day trip. I camp most of the time so I do not always have a place to charge it. The Blu Tooth has batteries, they will degrade over time and you will loose run time. A wire system always has power.

If you ride with other people that have them and no CB, then it would be a good switch so you can communicate with them.

With the 1500, you will have to get an adapter that will plug into the radio system. By the time you add everything up, it would be cheaper to get a good quality J&M wired head set. The bike is set up for it already. Mine has great sound and I have been using the same headset for 8 years and 80K miles. Plus. I can switch it between my 1500 and 1800 just by plugging it in. When I stop, I like to take the Helmet off, so the wire does not matter to me.

Blu Tooth units work great for a lot of people. You just have to think about how and how much you are going to use it each ride.

Dan
2012 GL 1800
1988 GL 1500
1977 GL 1000
2012 KLR 650
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
My .02.....
@snowmoer is 99.9 % spot on.

I too "was" a wired guy. Did not want to deal with charging, nor will I ever, ever answer my phone while riding but.......

Here's the but.

I got tired of wires wearing out, changing cords, dealing with mics cutting in and out due to the cord issues so we made the change to wireless/bluetooth.

We chose the Scala Cardo Freecom 2' s for several reasons. Fairly low cost, I only ever, ever want to converse with my wife on the back of our bike while riding. Easy to operate and no more cords to deal with. It syncs to the GPS, your phone (I still don't answer mine), and gives you radio, and music integration.

Additionally we have pushed our charging to 2 1/2 days. I will admit that we usually don't play music when we are 2 up.

Best thing we have done in a long time for our purposes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
budoka and crownfire like this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:06 PM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
My .02....., nor will I ever, ever answer my phone while riding but..... It syncs to the GPS, your phone (I still don't answer mine),

We know.

Sent from my E6830 using Tapatalk
crownfire likes this.

Lee.
Darksider since I finally saw the Light.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 02:39 PM

I am also a "wired" guy. While my choice of not opting to go with a 2018/2019 was more because of the seat when I just sat on a demo 2018, the reading of all the different posts on FB and GW forums (yea, I know this is the BEST but there are a couple more out there) about one issue after another with blue tooth pairing.

I have had my Garmin ask if I wanted to pair it to some apple phone while driving my car? ? ? ? and I don't have an apple phone! So I can only wonder what I would be pairing too out in the wild LOL.

I had to replace my original Honda headset (purchased new in 2004 with my 1800) eleven years later because of a snapped pin. The Honda headset connected to the helmet and not the J&M units I have now that have a pigtail from the helmet to connect to the cable connected to the bike so there is less stress on the tiny pins that the Honda headset had.

Welcome to the forum from southeast Pennsylvania...

Proud Owner of IDMWT #102
2004 Black GL1800A Gold Wing
1997 Black/Silver Kawasaki Vulcan 750
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 04:47 PM

I have the Sena system for mine and I bought it in 2015 when I bought the bike. I have never run out of battery power in a day's ride and I listen to music all the time. When I ride 2 up we spend most of the time talking and that hasn't degraded the battery longevity. I have tried to connect with other riders but that has never worked so I can't comment on how that feature might work. For me it is worth not dealing with cables and being able to chat with my wife while riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fossil92 View Post
My .02.....
@snowmoer

It syncs to the GPS, your phone (I still don't answer mine), and gives you radio, and music integration.

It syncs to the GPS and the phone, both of which you don't use. Does it sync to the blue painter's tape too?

Steve
Chopin and crownfire like this.

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-13-2019, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2fish View Post
I have the Sena system for mine and I bought it in 2015 when I bought the bike. I have never run out of battery power in a day's ride and I listen to music all the time. When I ride 2 up we spend most of the time talking and that hasn't degraded the battery longevity. I have tried to connect with other riders but that has never worked so I can't comment on how that feature might work. For me it is worth not dealing with cables and being able to chat with my wife while riding.

It syncs to the GPS and the phone, both of which you don't use. Does it sync to the blue painter's tape too?

Steve

Luv2fish likes this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Garage
We do like our Sena S20's (minus a few growing pains) for the clean lack of wires/cords. Never an issue with battery life (unless I forget that two days riding is about their limit) and charging is really easy with a standard mini USB plugin cord. Don't use it for phone or music (prefer the bike speakers for tunes, and like my buddy above, it's an i-com only, so far anyway.

For the OP, setting up with a 1500 system will require a 'dongle' or similar patch to integrate with the bike.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Garage
I opted to go with a Sena SMH 5. I will give it a try to see how I like it. Still like the option of just cranking up the stereo and listening to some groovy old cassette tapes too. Thanks for the input.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-16-2019, 01:49 PM

Garage
We use Sena as well. IMHO it's the only way to go! We can talk riding 2up or when she's on her bike. I have a Sena SM10 adapter to the wings infotainment system too. If wing navi can't find it my phone will and I can use either one when I want. Music is fantastic and being able to talk to my wife while on her bike makes our rides amazing!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

Good guys ride black bikes
IDMWT #98
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode