Increase 2018 tour trunk size - Honda Goldwing Forums
 12Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:17 AM Thread Starter

Increase 2018 tour trunk size

I found a trunk extension kit on the internet that looks like it might extend the height of 2018 and later goldwing tours models enough to fit two helmets. ( Goldwing-Case.com ). It comes from a France based company and costs 249 Euros...about $283. It looks easy to install and doesn’t change the looks all that much. It’s a snap together “ring” that fits between the lid and trunk. Requires removing the gasket and latch hooks. Replace the hooks with hooks supplied in the kit and then reinstalling the gasket...done. Should be available about now.

NVWayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 09:37 AM

Garage
I've watched their video before. In either case (before vs. after) I can still see daylight right through the side and out the front of the trunk... What am I missing?
RickLB likes this.

'03 GL1800A | Porsche 968 | Ford F-150 | Skidoo GSX (2) | Seadoo GTI (2) | Suzuki ATV (2)
A.A.O.N.M.S. | NRA Endowment | Gun Owners of America | Oath Keepers | IDMWT #97
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 04:07 PM

Trunk Extension Kit - Quality

Hey Wayne - A while back a friend added an early model aftermarket extension kit to his 2018 GW trunk trying to get some more volume - but the fit and finish was a POS. I don't remember the company brand name but it was so flimsy and such a poor fit, he (paid the shipping) to just return it. The basic idea is good, perhaps another supplier will be of a higher quality ?

Ride Safe - Michael

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2019, 05:10 PM Thread Starter

OK guys, I was just hoping it would be something useful. Like you say, maybe there is a good option coming in the future.

Ride with a smile;

Wahyne
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-24-2019, 11:21 AM
Administrator

Garage
Pakit Rack and bag or a hitch rack and bag is the best option without risking sub standard mods to the trunk. Unless someone comes up with a replacement lid with decent mounting and stuff I'd avoid disappointment on that front. Not sure about a trunk rack and bag availability and capacity for the '18 and newer, but they are seriously limited on weight carrying ability so it's just for featherweight items like jacket liners, spare gloves, and/or rain gear. Seriously, unless it's a day jaunt, why two helmets in the trunk? I realize the helmet holder on the new bikes are funky and pretty much useless...

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-25-2019, 10:52 PM

Two helmets fit in the 2018. My buddies do it with their Shoei J-Cruze helmets. Sit one straight up and the other lay on it's side. The both fit and the trunk closes with no problem. My Arai-XC helmets have a slight smaller shell and fit even easier.
fossil92 and DesertRat like this.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Garage
Bear in mind those are 3/4 shell lids, not full face. I have trouble fitting our two IS-33 3/4 shells in my '09 trunk but mine has a camera mount o the top so that gets in the way. Not that I ever store them in the trunk anyway LOL (I just tried it because people were talking about it. I much prefer the old under trunk helmet clips or the old handlebar mount pegs that fit my 1200 and 1500 models. Ron would apporve of them, they were chrome plated....bwahahahahaha
http://wingstuff.com/products/150-ha...?from_search=1
crownfire and Cantankerous like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl

Last edited by budoka; 06-26-2019 at 01:08 PM.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-26-2019, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

I started this thread because I thought the trunk expander might be an option for 2018 + owners. Seems it may not be a product meeting wing owner standards. I fully understand that. I still have my Harley ultra, but am looking hard for an ‘18 tour dct. Preferable a used one. When I find my dct, I’ll be putting a hitch on it. Then look for a rack and/or trailer. I did test ride an ‘18 standard trans model. Loved it, but am pretty set on the DCT. Tried my old modular helmet in the 18 trunk...large size helmet fit on it’s side with a tight fit...no blue tooth attached. Will likely get the neo-tech 2 with Sena for my wife and myself. Ch-Ching; but at 72, I’m not as concerned with what I have left in the bank in 20 years. New hip works great and I’m still good for 5 hours on the 06 ultra...hope to bump that up on the DCT.

Wayne
Chopin and crownfire like this.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 04:52 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Wayne, just going to throw this out as a point to add to your discussion. Having ridden the 2018 DCT ......those things are wonderbikes. I have made reference many times to having ridden with many of our GWOF members and the greater percentage (I'm talking well over 90%) don't even put their helmets in the trunks of their current 80's to 2017 Wings. I know there are those that do but it is a small group. Also I have ridden with the same folks who while on a trip they are close to resembling the Beverly Hillbilly's when they are all loaded up.

My take has always been that the sour grapes are just that sour grapes. Also if you own one of the great new machines you will adapt easily to the diminished space.

Best of luck with your quest for the new ride.
Chopin and Luv2fish like this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-27-2019, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

I agree with you. It’s nice to just plop our helmets into the trunk of our ride, out of sight and the weather; but the machine you are riding on is #1. You can always get lid lox or secure your helmet in some other way...or in some cases, just take it with you. I’ve never gotten any fun out of strapping on a helmet, but throwing my leg over a motor is always a joy. The aftermarket takes care of most short comings on EVERY bike. You gotta love capitalism’s supply and demand. If we need it, someone is going to supply it to make a buck.

Wayne
crownfire likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode