Back Off Wig Wag on GL1800 Gen 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 7Likes

post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 03:46 PM Thread Starter

Back Off Wig Wag on GL1800 Gen 2

I've been through the forums and youtube but haven't really found the best location to connect it. I saw one picture connecting under the seat. The instructions just say cut the wire at least 6 inches behind the stop light, but that isn't possible, at least not from the trunk. I saw a lot of you installed it so if you could give a good description as to where and how you installed it ... even better, include some pictures or videos.

Thanks.

Last edited by hardhead; 09-17-2018 at 03:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-17-2018, 06:52 PM
To install mine I removed the inner shell of the trunk, unplugged the bullet connectors on spoiler light pig tail. Installed the proper corresponding bullet connectors on the wires on flasher unit and plugged it in. No need to even cut any wires on the bike. if at any time if it should fail just unplug and reconnect as it was before, hopefully this will never be necessary.

Mine was not a back-off .

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Krator-Br...ype=10&veh=aff

This was not difficult to install and is very inexpensive to purchase. I am running it on the LED brake light on the spoiler only.
crownfire and hardhead like this.

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
2003 GL1800, 1978 Kawasaki KZ650(needs restoring)

"Glory Days"

Jim King, Beartooth Clan member, IDMWT #89, Geezer Gang #2, 2018 Beer Cap Champ
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2018, 02:03 PM

I just installed mine on my 17 this weekend. I put it under the trunk. Open the back panels, (the one with the license plate, and the one above that. Cut through the insulation on both sides where the wires go up into the tail lights, and find the Green wire, with Red stripe. There's also a screw right there at the top that worked as a ground. Mount the unit to the left, not dead center, under the trunk. You have to wiggle it a little to get it in. If you mount it toward the middle, you wont be able to get the cover back on. Then use electrical tape to seal everything up. Mine is the BACK OFF - WIG WAG, and it worked for many years on my 06, and now it's working fine on my 17.
Luv2fish and hardhead like this.

Richie

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-19-2018, 02:20 PM

I did a DIY install of the Back Off Wig Wag system this year. I'm not an electrician by any stretch, but am able to cut and splice some wires, which is what you'll need to be able to do. Happy to say it all worked!

The two videos I used were both on YouTube:

The first one is from Signal Dynamics, the creators of the Wig Wag. The resolution is terrible, but it walks you through the whole install process and I basically just followed along and paused as necessary. The second one has better resolution but is a summary of the install, not a walkthrough. But still helpful for understanding what goes where.
hardhead likes this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 11:55 AM Thread Starter

I'm stuck on what should be the easiest part. How do I remove the back cover to get to the harness. I've searched and searched and everyone shows the area with the cover removed but not how to remove it. I removed the two bolts at the bottom but something up higher is stopping it from coming off.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 12:23 PM

Some guidance on that here: https://www.goldwingowners.com/forum...r-removal.html.

Another visual here:

It does take a bit more of a pull than you might expect, depending on how firmly the clips are stuck.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 03:15 PM Thread Starter

Mine is a 2016 and doesn't look like that.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-22-2018, 04:51 PM

Ah. Mine is a 2006. I wonder if on the Gen-2 GL1800's the rear panel was part of the redesigned bodywork, and might function differently. Unfortunately I don't know, but hopefully someone else will. Sorry I couldn't be more help!
hardhead likes this.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by liflyboy View Post
I just installed mine on my 17 this weekend. I put it under the trunk. Open the back panels, (the one with the license plate, and the one above that. Cut through the insulation on both sides where the wires go up into the tail lights, and find the Green wire, with Red stripe. There's also a screw right there at the top that worked as a ground. Mount the unit to the left, not dead center, under the trunk. You have to wiggle it a little to get it in. If you mount it toward the middle, you wont be able to get the cover back on. Then use electrical tape to seal everything up. Mine is the BACK OFF - WIG WAG, and it worked for many years on my 06, and now it's working fine on my 17.
I'm stuck on opening the back panels. Mine is a 2016.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-24-2018, 12:23 PM
Lifetime Premium

I bought an Signal Dynamic XP Back Off months ago and had it sent to Frackville's M&G, and want to hook it up to all four brake lite bulbs. Electrical isn't my strong suite, so I've had a couple buddies look at it for me. They all seemed a little scared, including my buddy that did his years ago on his 2001 wing and couldn't remember exactly which wires to use.

I talked to a local guy I know, that is a vender all over the States and Canada doing L.E.D.s and various other items, and he said he's sold and installed plenty of these in the past. So I'm going to take the cowards way out and let him install it.

I know they say only 3 bulbs max with regular bulbs, but he said it's definitely not an issue for all four bulbs. Also my buddy with the 2001 has his hooked up that way for years without any problems.
hardhead likes this.

Every man dies, not EVERY man truly LIVES!
Steve
GWRRA
1980 CB750 * 1979 GL1000 * 1982 GL1100 *
2000 GL1500 * 2009 GL1800 Airbag
IDMWT #99 (Finally admitted because I like the sound of #99)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode