Replacement seals fail, back to shop - Honda Goldwing Forums
 6Likes
  • 4 Post By 823Jim
  • 2 Post By budoka

post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 08:34 AM Thread Starter
Replacement seals fail, back to shop

Just had fork seals replaced a week ago, have about 250 miles on new seals and they are leaking as bad as the ones replaced. The shop that did the work is going to stand behind their job and install another set. This time going to use a different brand seal, he said this was first time he used the brand he installed and will install brand he has used in the past. I have had work done at this shop before, he has been in business for many years.

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
2003 GL1800, 1978 Kawasaki KZ650(needs restoring)

"Glory Days"

Jim King, Beartooth Clan member, IDMWT #89, Geezer Gang #2, 2018 Beer Cap Champ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-11-2018, 08:52 AM
Lifetime Premium

A few years ago I went to a shop that my cousin found in the city. He was a young guy that owned it, and they did sport bikes for the most part. He assured me not an issue to fix my fork seals on my 1500, and I took a chance out of convenience. The seals started leaking again almost immediately after it was so called fixed so I took it back to him. He said, not a problem, leave it with him for a few hours. Still leaked and I just never went back to him. Lesson learned, I will be inconvenienced and take it to my shop a couple hours away up north.

I hope you get better results then I did.

Every man dies, not EVERY man truly LIVES!
Steve
GWRRA
1980 CB750 * 1979 GL1000 * 1982 GL1100 *
2000 GL1500 * 2009 GL1800 Airbag
IDMWT #99 (Finally admitted because I like the sound of #99)
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-16-2018, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
Took bike back to shop this morning, got bike back at about 5:00 this afternoon. New seals in, rode about 30 miles so far so good. Fork tubes show no signs of leakage. The shop owner/mechanic stood behind his work, no charge to me, as it should be.

UPDATE: Rode another 130 miles today (5/17/18) seals are still all good.

Friends don't let friends do stupid stuff (alone)
2003 GL1800, 1978 Kawasaki KZ650(needs restoring)

"Glory Days"

Jim King, Beartooth Clan member, IDMWT #89, Geezer Gang #2, 2018 Beer Cap Champ

Last edited by 823Jim; 05-17-2018 at 06:49 PM.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Garage
Good news Jim. The problem with fork seals is they are subject to likely the worst treatment and conditions of just about anything on our bikes. A big, heavy, very capable machine that is often put through paces that Honda never imagined during R&D or testing. Sure, they did their due diligence, but we as owners often subject our bikes to things far and away beyond what was ever predicted. I mean things like over loading (beyond spec), pot holes and road hazards, road debris contamination, bugs, rock chips...all come in direct contact with the leading edge of the bike: namely the fork tubes. Not a happy place in the general scheme of things.
Badrider and 823Jim like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
Good news Jim. The problem with fork seals is they are subject to likely the worst treatment and conditions of just about anything on our bikes. A big, heavy, very capable machine that is often put through paces that Honda never imagined during R&D or testing. Sure, they did their due diligence, but we as owners often subject our bikes to things far and away beyond what was ever predicted. I mean things like over loading (beyond spec), pot holes and road hazards, road debris contamination, bugs, rock chips...all come in direct contact with the leading edge of the bike: namely the fork tubes. Not a happy place in the general scheme of things.
Well said, thank you for your post.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by budoka View Post
That was well put, thank you for your post.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-17-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badrider View Post
A few years ago I went to a shop that my cousin found in the city. He was a young guy that owned it, and they did sport bikes for the most part. He assured me not an issue to fix my fork seals on my 1500, and I took a chance out of convenience. The seals started leaking again almost immediately after it was so called fixed so I took it back to him. He said, not a problem, leave it with him for a few hours. Still leaked and I just never went back to him. Lesson learned, I will be inconvenienced and take it to my shop a couple hours away up north.

I hope you get better results then I did.
Hey Steve...where would "a couple hours north" put you? In Lindsay?
Strat
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-18-2018, 10:32 AM
Lifetime Premium

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
Hey Steve...where would "a couple hours north" put you? In Lindsay?
Strat
J.C. Cycle, he is in the Stayner/Wasaga Beach area. He specializes in Gold Wings and if you ask me he knows his stuff. I've been dealing with him for close to 20 years. A matter of fact, I was up there yesterday taking up a buddy to pick up his Wing for a lot of the same stuff I had done on my Wing a few weeks ago.

Every man dies, not EVERY man truly LIVES!
Steve
GWRRA
1980 CB750 * 1979 GL1000 * 1982 GL1100 *
2000 GL1500 * 2009 GL1800 Airbag
IDMWT #99 (Finally admitted because I like the sound of #99)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode