trailer lights not working - Honda Goldwing Forums

post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

trailer lights not working

I have a 2012 goldwing with dealer installed trailer wiring. My question is does this come with a fuse separate from the main fuse box. I could not find any bad fuses . Looking under the back it looks like it is plugged directly into its own harness. Not getting juice to wiring harness. If fuse is in main box anyone know it's location?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 05:30 PM

Garage
so.... some follow up questions.

1. are you trying to check current at the plug where you trailer will plug into?

2. Is the bike running when you are doing the testing?

3. how are you testing for current?

Will help to pinpoint a few things, most wiring that was to designed to plug into specific vehicle wiring harnesses are pretty bullet proof, unless the just didn't get plugged it good.

I have a 2013 with a trailer hitch and wiring....so maybe if nothing else we can compare notes.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 05:49 PM Thread Starter

The key is on, bike not running but lights are on, Yes trying to test for current at the plug. currently testing by hooking up new trailer lights before putting on trailer.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 06:01 PM

If the Dealer installed the wiring harness, I would bet it is a plug and play system that several manufacturers make for the Gold Wing. Take the Lic. plate bracket off the back and take the center piece off that is the back fender. Five bolts hold it on. At least it is five on the earlier models of the 2018. The only tricky thing to take off is the trim pieces separating the center fender section from the saddle bags. To take them off you take one side of the trim and squeeze it to it's center and slightly bend them outward. Once it starts it is easy. You should then see the harness connected just behind the cross over bar that supports the saddlebags across the back. The harness is like a "Y" where you disconnect the bike's wiring at the connector and then plug two connectors back in. Also make sure you have checked for continuity between the negative trailer wire and a good ground on the bike. Taking that into consideration check the running lights and turn signal lights with a good multimeter going from the connector to ground. Then check the ground wire to ground using the ohms side of the meter.

Terry Dill of San Antonio

It's not the destination, but the getting there.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 06:04 PM

If he added an isolator, the Large red wire goes directly to the battery. Should be an inline fuse on that wire.

2012 GL1800
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 06:43 PM Thread Starter

Good Ideas, I found the In line fuse and accessed it after taking off the seat. Fuse was good. Seat is a B to get back on so will wait til tomorrow to mess with that some more. Will also get a real tester tomorrow and see what happens. Otherwise Guess I will run without lights.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2018, 06:48 PM

Garage
The trailer lights will have to get a good ground back to the bike to work at all.

I use a test light to check trailer wiring and plugs.... hook the test light clip to the ground on the bikes plug then you can check each connection at the plug.... if the test light lights up all is good.... it will act like what circuit it is hooked to.... once that tests good....then it is on to the trailer wiring.......FIRST thing again... must have a good ground back to the bike.

IDMWT member #80
Never walk, when you can ride!

current ride : 2013 GL1800 Audio Comfort

Darkside Yokohama Avid ENVigor 195/55 R16
non-runflat
Double Darkside Bridgestone BT45 Battlax Front

Past rides: '98 GL1500SE
'03 750 Kawasaki Vulcan
'81 850 Suzuki
'80 550 Suzuki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode