Bluetooth Advice - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-11-2018, 07:20 PM Thread Starter

Bluetooth Advice

Iím going to Bluetooth on a wired 2017 GL, so I'll be using what J&M calls a dongle to transmit the bike's audio. Iíve mostly heard about the Sena 10 and 20. Does anyone know how the J&M setups compare with the Senaís? It appears the cost is around $1k either way. Any input would help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 02:36 PM
Administrator

Garage
Are you a Wingstuff shopper? On their website they usually have reviews from buyer with pros and cons on most products. I know there were a few hookup issues with earlier systems but I'd bet that's in the past and the hookups should be way better now.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
[/COLOR]current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 06:16 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I'll check that. It's surprising how little anyone at the motorcycle shops know about this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-12-2018, 11:14 PM

Bryan, where are you located? Maybe one of us will know a place in your area.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-13-2018, 06:31 PM Thread Starter

Iím near Salt Lake. The shops Iíve checked with seem to have advice about what they carry (mainly Sena and Cardo) but little else. From my research though Iím leaning toward J&M. Iíve got to verify it but it appears to be the only one that gives full function of the Goldwing electronics, ie the CB. The Sena allows you to hear a CB but doesnít allow for transmissions.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 01-15-2018, 12:16 PM

Location: Wheatland. Missouri on Pomme De Terre Lake 2008 GL1800 IDMWT #63
Garage
Sorry I missed this thread. Se the post I just made in this link. https://www.goldwingowners.com/forums...ns-wanted.html

Alan, Carol, PistolPete, (Prissy RIP), & Loki The Bike Riding Maltese Dogs

Proud member #63 of the IDMWT Club.
Darkside # 1696
Rear - Michelin Primacy Alpin PA3 ZP - 195/55R16 87H BSW - Winter Tire
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-10-2018, 10:56 AM

Garage
From my understanding, talking with J&M rep, the Sena will work with the J&M dongle, but will only be in mono, not stereo. If you want stereo, then you would have to do all J&M Bluetooth. The rep also said that their Bluetooth headset would work with other Sena headsets, but would not be always a reliable connection. So, if you have friends that have Sena headsets, you may or may not be able to communicate. Prior to getting my Goldwing, I had a Sena 10C headset. The guys I ride with all have Sena so we all could communicate with each other. I kept my Sena 10C and got the Freewire. I was initially disappointed to the quality of the audio (sound volume) coming through. I would also sometimes have mono and sometimes stereo. I recently did factory resets on both units and then repaired them. Now, the sound is always stereo and the volume quality is much better. Not perfect, but better. I don't have a CB so I don't know how that would work quality wise. I did listen to the J&M system at a demo set up at a motorcycle show. The audio was very good, but there was no way to know how it would sound at highway speeds. I love my Sena and haven't had any real issues with them. I also think the J&M set up is nice. If you ride solo or with a passenger then I would honestly go with the J&M set up. Since I already have an investment with Sena, I believe the best option for me is to stay with Sena. That and the fact that my riding buddies all have Sena. If anyone has had the experience with J&M Bluetooth mixing in with a group of Sena Bluetooth headsets I would love to hear your experiences as far as communicating with them.

So, bryanw1, in my opinion, it's a matter of who you ride with and what they have that determines which company to go with. I honestly believe both are good companies. It's a shame they can't work together to make their products more compatible with each other. I believe they would both benefit more if they did.

My .02's.

Good luck

PS, I'm about to try the Sena 20S. I've been told that platform is very good as well. I'll try to update later when I get a chance.

There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder.

Ronald Reagan
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 10:20 AM

I wonder why you purchased a Freewire as it is only necessary when you have a CB? The SM10 will stream all audio from the bike for both driver and passenger for $100 less.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-11-2018, 07:13 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneWil View Post
I wonder why you purchased a Freewire as it is only necessary when you have a CB? The SM10 will stream all audio from the bike for both driver and passenger for $100 less.
My plan is eventually to get the CB too. Otherwise I would have gotten the other.

There are no great limits to growth because there are no limits of human intelligence, imagination, and wonder.

Ronald Reagan
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-12-2018, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneWil View Post
That was going to be my suggestion to the OP as well. We hooked up an SM10 3 or 4 years ago now and it works well. We don't have a CB.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanw1 View Post
Iím going to Bluetooth on a wired 2017 GL, so I'll be using what J&M calls a dongle to transmit the bike's audio. Iíve mostly heard about the Sena 10 and 20. Does anyone know how the J&M setups compare with the Senaís? It appears the cost is around $1k either way. Any input would help.
Just wondering why you'll be using the J&M dongle? The Sena SM10 works very well.
Oneway likes this.

2006 Honda GL1800
2012 Ural Patrol

Previous bikes:
2010 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Classic
1983 Suzuki GS850G
1982 Yamaha Vision 550
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode