Cheap Bluetooth option - Page 3 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 20Likes

post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-23-2017, 11:27 PM

This 'cheap bluetooth' option sounds to me like a lot of trouble just to save 300 bucks for Sena20

I have a job and a credit card. I walked up to a Cyclegear store, had a Sena 20 installed on my helmet right there in the store. I walked to my bike and paired it with my cell...I am good to go.

it went on the credit card, I didn't even feel it.

A giant star blew up, elements combined, a long time passed and then, there you are. The mother of all mothers, even yours, is a supernova.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
This 'cheap bluetooth' option sounds to me like a lot of trouble just to save 300 bucks for Sena20 I have a job and a credit card. I walked up to a Cyclegear store, had a Sena 20 installed on my helmet right there in the store. I walked to my bike and paired it with my cell...I am good to go. it went on the credit card, I didn't even feel it.
Perhaps . . . but then A.) I don't need to carry a Power Strip when I travel just to keep my support system up and running overnight. B.) I had "fun" doing it myself! C.) I retired at 59, D.) I live on the beach where a cold day in the middle of winter "only" gets into the mid 50's, E.) Four Motorcycles, one of which is an antique that I am restoring (not my first) and F.) More toys than I or my family know what to do with. So as it turns out, I'm really OK with getting a $6.29 module to do what others pay hundreds of dollars for. You say you paid $300, but they're on Amazon right now for $238 with free shipping and no sales tax . . . . Anyhow this is all kind of how I got to where I am now. FWIW, your Sena20 just became yesterday's news. It's been replaced by the Sena30K. They're only $329 to $521 . . . plus that "free" installation and the sales tax that comes to a bit more than $6.29 I'd guess. I will probably buy another one of these modules for my Harley . . . of course I could buy Harley's Bluetooth Module (WIP) and their proprietary Sena20 headset (since the Sena20 only gets mono when it pairs with the Harley Bluetooth System) but then that'd set me back well over $650 (or $950 if I want my wife in on the deal) for what I can do right now, today for $6.29.

Ah dang it! I already have Bluetooth on my Harley. It came that way at no extra cost. Wow . . . that was close . . . I almost spent $6.29 that I didn't have to . . . .
Cantankerous and Dog Breath like this.

Last edited by Bluehighways; 10-24-2017 at 01:03 AM.
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 01:03 AM

This Bluetooth adaptor is used to tansmit the sound to the goldwing audio. I dont want the music in my helmet. I use Bluetooth intercom system just for phone calls and navi directions. But wanna listen music on board with all the traffic with me
Otherwise we all have jobs,credit cards and even lots of cash
Dog Breath likes this.

Emir Dalkıran

Riding with the King !!!

post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 10-24-2017, 01:51 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by nando View Post
This 'cheap bluetooth' option sounds to me like a lot of trouble just to save 300 bucks for Sena20

I have a job and a credit card. I walked up to a Cyclegear store, had a Sena 20 installed on my helmet right there in the store. I walked to my bike and paired it with my cell...I am good to go.

it went on the credit card, I didn't even feel it.
Well I have both. A $230 sena 2.0 bluetooth helmet for my girlfriend and I ($460), and then still bought the USB dongle for the wing for $7 with my debt card, lol. It's not just to save $300, it's a different route to go. We use the USB dongle for GPS and music directions, and the sena helmets to talk to each other on the ride. The helmet is used with music when I ride the FZ-09 or CRF250L. Everybody has their reasons for the dongle or the helmet, whats important is you ride!!
Cantankerous likes this.

2006 Honda Goldwing ABS
2014 Honda CRF250L
2015 Honda CTX 700 DCT ABS
2017 Honda CB300F ABS
2017 Yamaha FJ-09
2018 Honda Grom

2017 Yamaha FZ-09- sold
2014 Honda CTX700 -sold
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 08:37 PM

Garage
This sounds like the cheap solution for me. A couple of questions, 1, what year did the GW start coming with USB in trunk? 2, The 3.5mm aux plug in LH box is it aux in to to radio system or an output.

I want to be able to use the sound system while having call access for phone and get turn by turn sound in helmets, I havent decided on bt system for intercom. All with CHEAP as a thought

MGK
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaynardGKrebbs View Post
This sounds like the cheap solution for me. A couple of questions, 1, what year did the GW start coming with USB in trunk? 2, The 3.5mm aux plug in LH box is it aux in to to radio system or an output.

I want to be able to use the sound system while having call access for phone and get turn by turn sound in helmets, I havent decided on bt system for intercom. All with CHEAP as a thought
First it helps if you let us know what year your bike is for future reference. As for when the usb in the trunk it was 2009 and the
3.5 mm aux plug in LH is an input only. To my knowledge the aux input kills all other audio from the bike when it is selected as the souce.

Now I don't have and don't want a smart phone , I have a 10 year old flip phone so getting music from it doesn't work. I also want to be able to listen to the bikes infotainment system with out wires. So what I did was wire in a 3.5mm aux jack into the drivers intercom cable. You can buy an adapter to do the same. Ran it and a usb power outlet into the LH pocket. Now I plug a bluetooth transmitter into the setup and pair it to my sena smh10 . I now have access to the bikes infotainment system as well as my phone. I have a 16gb usb thumb drive in the trunk with 1400 songs on it at this time. This system has been working for the last seven years, first in my 2006 and now in my 2017. The transmitter I am using will transmit to two devices at the same time in stereo. Over the next couple of months I will be upgrading the transmitter to a newer one with 4.2 bluetooth . Should be a simple plug and play upgrade. The hold setup cost me under $50.00.

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 12:01 PM

Garage
Thanks,

Wiring into intercom cable would just be mono, or am I confused? My GW is 2004 so no USB in trunk. I could convert/add USB power no problem. I am leaning toward "other than sena" as my helmet BT. Still thinking, I built a device bar, kinda a hybrid/crossbreed of texelent idea with ram mount stuff. Used old mountain bike handle bars and handle bar grip riser set for stock. Cut up some aluminum bar stock, TIG welded brackets to bolt on at grip cylinder mounts.
I will take some pics and publish in thread when I get my stuff mounted and figured out. It seems that each work around to the lack of built in wireless problem has it's own drawbacks. Just dont want to spend a lot for something that still has functional issues.

MGK
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 01:38 PM

Wiring into the intercom cable would be full stereo . It would be the same as if you hardwired the intercom to a headset . The main difference you are replacing the wire to the helmet with a stereo bluetooth transmitter. Also this setup should work with any headset that can connect with A2DP.

check this link out it may help you understand the cable. This is just a plug n play .

https://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_nkw=...&ul_noapp=true

2017 Red Level 3
2006 Titanium Level 3
Traxxion suspension
WBRA senior member
IBA member 30028
IDMWT #100
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."
George Bernard Shaw

Last edited by Jinx; 02-13-2019 at 01:45 PM.
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 02-13-2019, 07:55 PM

Garage
OK, does anyone has anything good, or bad to say about Sena, Scala, or Uclear products? J&M is a bit pricey, but no doubt a good product. I dont mind charging stuff, but if keeping it paired is important. The "micless" tech of uclear sounds good, any experience?

MGK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode