Seat Belts For Pillion Passengers - Honda Goldwing Forums
 22Likes

post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 03:01 AM Thread Starter

Seat Belts For Pillion Passengers

Hi guys,

I've tried searching for it and while there's plenty of mention of "seat belt" they all seem to refer to cars, so now I have to ask ...

I have a 7 year old boy who I'd like to take on my (soon to own) GL1500SE. It has arm rests, but he's intellectually delayed (I'm not joking here, he had brain damage at birth) and I'm concerned about taking him out and not being able to contain him in the seat. He is not physically violent (he won't punch or kick me) but he might want to get up and go for a walk.

Obviously I have the choice to NOT take him. That's a given. I also have the choice of NOT buying the bike, but you KNOW that's going to happen. While it is possible to resist the urge to take him for a ride, it's something that he might very much enjoy and I have this overwhelming desire to do - and do it safely.

So the question is - what are people's thoughts on seat belts? Should they be used at all? What happens if I have an accident and he's tethered to the bike? What happens if I don't have him tethered and he chucks a spaz? (Do you guys understand Strayan colloquialisms?)

Yes, it's safest to NOT have him on the bike. It's also safest to NOT have a motorbike at all. I'm after some ground inbetween, some ideas that someone may have thought of ... is it acceptable to tether him to me?

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people look smart until you hear them speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 04:00 AM

It sounds like you are answering your own questions. Be safe. Leave him home so no-one gets hurt.

Welcome to the GWOF. I hope you enjoy your new 'Wing.!!

The FIRST GWOF IB TRIO. July 16, 2016
Charter Members:
Fossil92 - WingNutGordo - GoldWingKing

GWOF IB Couples ride. 1008.3 Mi. September 14, 2016
GWOF IB Couples ride II. 1045.6 Mi. September 16, 2016

Traxxion Dynamics, Mega Monte.
Bridgestone Driveguard RunFlat.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 04:21 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
As Tom, said I believe your answer lies within.

As for myself, I would not tether him

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 04:57 AM

I don't know, my thinking is the safest place is staying on the bike in a wreck. The alternative is flying through the air and that tends to not end well anyway. Also it might be a great adventure for your son.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:10 AM

Have you considered one of these instead?

Slingshot by Polaris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	202314  
Madrussian likes this.

Mark

2018 Goldwing Tour DCT Candy Ardent Red
'07 Trekker DL185 Trailer
AMA Member

DSi # 563 IDMWT #14
Riding soothes my soul.....
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 05:44 AM Thread Starter

A 3-wheeler? That hasn't really crossed my mind at all, I'm keen to lean. May as well stay in my Navara!

The little guy is keen as mustard to get on the back of the bike, but everywhere else, he just can't sit still so I can't trust that he's going to stay in the seat. I've told him there's no chance unless he can sit still for 5 minutes. He can manage 3 or 4 seconds, but that's all. It's an improvement on last year's 2 or 3 seconds so we're making progress!

If there's no safe way to do it then there's no way I'll do it. Simple as that. Both of us need to live with the consequences.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people look smart until you hear them speak.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 06:04 AM

I don't have the same problem with My son, but Mine always goes to sleep with riding. I use a bungee cord and hook it under his arms and to the back rack of the bike. Anyone on this forum that has rode with us has seen me use this method and it works for me. Might consider it. If it worries Your more than a bungee cord can hold than maybe only ride him around the neighborhood on it.
crownfire, Madrussian and Dwarven1 like this.

Nothing rides quite like a Goldwing...
2012 GL 1800 level 2 Audio/Comfort/Navi/XM (ultra blue metallic)
1987 GL 1200 Aspencade (wine berry) sold

IDMWT Club Member#45

The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards.- Paul "Bear" Bryant
~Be allergic to average!~
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedymph1000 View Post
I don't have the same problem with My son, but Mine always goes to sleep with riding. I use a bungee cord and hook it under his arms and to the back rack of the bike. Anyone on this forum that has rode with us has seen me use this method and it works for me. Might consider it. If it worries Your more than a bungee cord can hold than maybe only ride him around the neighborhood on it.
Speedy, I thought of you when I first read this thread. You are an outstanding rider and I know you completely consider the well-being of your son.
However, this is a whole different situation. I would have to be sure the young man completely understood the dangers.
The thing that bothers me most is seeing a child in pillion wearing shorts and flip flops. Saw a man ride on a dirt bike the other day with his 3 year old daughter on the tank. Neither were wearing a helmet, since it wasn't a main road. They are putting total trust that their parent who is never in complete control. It would kill me if I had even the slightest lay down and hurt a child.
Eric, speedymph1000 and NREMTP like this.

2008 ST 1300
IDMWT#2
IBA #49803
SS1000 and BB1500

THE VERY FIRST GWOF IB w/RALPHUMOR

No longer on the Darkside -

"It eases my mind to know, that in times like these, there have always been times like these."
Paul Harvey
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 01:35 PM

Garage
If you decide to tether him to the bike, you probably need to consider whether or not to provide him the option to free himself. If he is too likely to free himself while riding at speed, then you might want to design and install something that frees his tether or gives him the option to free himself when you vacate your seat.
Raising a "special needs" child clearly has "challenges." My hat is off to you, sir. I suggest that you let your love for him be your guide on what to do. If you need help on how to do it, you have come to the right place.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 08-01-2016, 01:57 PM
Lifetime Premium

A few years ago I rigged a seat belt on an 1800 trike for the rider that was paralyzed from the waist down . He would slide forward on the seat and his shin interfered with the electric shifter. He tried it for a while but didn't like being attached to the bike if it crashed.
I had gotten a lap belt out of a wrecking yard and attached using the front bolts of the passenger hand grips. If you did on the passenger seat it would cross his upper legs, plus he might be able to open it.
When my Grand Daughter rode with me I put a bungee cord between the are rest, but she was not a problem rider.

From the Northwest Corner
Ron
The Land of Tall mountains
IDMWT #5
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode