Seat Belts For Pillion Passengers - Page 3 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 22Likes

post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

I thought I should update this thread, since it raised some important issues regarding safety, and in particular with a child who has several issues.

When the big day came and the new bike came home, I let him look at it. That wasn't enough, he could see a comfy seat and wanted to sit on it. Good, I thought, first hurdle over. Knowing that he hates engines (he runs if I start my chain saw, lawn edger, weed whacker or lawn mower) I stood where I could catch him and started the bike ...

He LOVED it. Another hurdle over.

So I obtained a helmet (into which I added the speakers and mike for the bike's intercom) and put it on his head (just 51cm around, he's a tiny little bloke) and took him around the immediate block, talking to him most of the time. He was in heaven. He didn't move, squirm or fidget.

Just before we got back home I asked him if he wanted some more - he said "Yes please!!!" so we did a larger block, and accelerated up to the maximum 50km/h allowed. He's still in heaven, wanted more, so I did a circuit of our little country town and called it quits, removing his helmet revealed an enormous smile!

Since then I've taken him on several 30 min to 1 hour rides, and have just done a trip up to near Gunnedah from here - that's about 250km each way. He loved it, didn't want it to be over - he waved at people as we rode past and had a ball, with absolutely no sign of jumping off or anything.

Fears over - and someone else loves a 'wing.
alwims, Dwarven1, Gascan and 1 others like this.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people look smart until you hear them speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-12-2016, 02:43 PM

Thankyou for the update on how it went.
You would never know unless you give it a go.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 11-13-2016, 11:23 PM

Just put a big smile on my face from reading this. I work in the DD field and too often see people who "live in a box" because of the fear of risk. There is great dignity in risk and it sounds as if you found the balance. Here's to hoping he knows a lifetime of "firsts" which lead to greater opportunity.

Just a way faring stranger
IDMWT#85

post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-13-2017, 10:35 AM

I hope no one throws internet tomatoes at me for resurrecting an old thread... but while I'm digging through this forum I guess I wanted to share my experiences.

There are a lot of great points voiced here, and I counter NONE of them, as the decision to put a kid on a bike as a passenger is purely situational to the child and the bike. There are currenly several types of harnesses for child passengers on bikes. I've only ever saw one that I would consider and I didn't see it for sale on Amazon or the Google search....

We live on 1 acre with our house pretty much in the middle, and although we are (barely) in city limits, its very rural. That said. I've been a rider since I was a kid (licensed since 16) and owned my first registered bike at 20. My wife and I were unexpectedly blessed with two surprises 14 months apart. We discovered the cure for infertility is to buy the wife a Dodge Challenger and a motorcycle......

In any case, as avid riders, we have had some spirited conversations regarding when (not if) our kids get to ride back seat. Ours have been exposed to riding in our yard since they were big enough to sit up good on their own.... about 1, I'd say. They've always been taught the dangers and what we expect. I hope it doesn't end at passenger. I intend to have both of them riding the tiny bikes soon enough.
fossil92 and crownfire like this.
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-14-2017, 06:11 AM

I know that all went well for this young man on the bike. He just love's it.

One of the fond memories for my eldest Daughter was riding with me to kindy on the motorcycle. It was at a high speed of 25 mph on the verys side of the road. I know that I could not do it these day's. I didn't see anything wrong taking her to kindy back then and I don't see anything wrong taking childen on a bike now. The only thing now is that they have a law that they must be 8 years old before riding on the back.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 09:41 AM

Garage
having a child on the back and taking her to kindy pales in comparison to having her on the back and riding on the wrong bloody side of the road!!
crownfire and NREMTP like this.

2003 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 (Red Sonja)

Yeeehaawwww!!

Dustin

post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 12-18-2017, 05:17 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARWGN View Post
having a child on the back and talking her to kindly pales in comparison to having her on the back and riding on the wrong bloody side of the road!!
WARWGN likes this.

Bob
2012 ABS "Red Ghost"
IDMWT 65
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode