May need some help.... - Page 3 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 50Likes

post #21 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Super Moderator

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Robertson View Post
Have him take I-90 over the Cascades toward Seattle, anything north of that is higher and getting snow.. I would suggest I-90 west to North Bend than Hwy 203 north to Monroe that by passes that whole Seattle traffic mess.
Have him check Hwy 203 road conditions in North Bend, as we are getting a lot of rain and 203 can flood at a couple places.

Once he's settle in have him contact us and we'll drive down and take to out to dinner of Pizza what ever he prefers.
+1

Thanks Ron.

2004 GL1800 Bloodstone Red Metallic
1988 GL1500/6 Martini Beige Metallic (Sold)
1984 GL1200 Pearl Saturn Red/Century Brown Metallic (Sold)
1981 Honda CM400T Candy Sword Blue with Metallic Light Blue (Cubed and Recycled)

IDMWT #23
Member #3480

Homo praesumitur bonus donec probetur malus

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 01:06 PM

Garage
Phil, you should have seen some of the vehicles I drove around when I was 15, and 16. I would drive 400 and 500 miles away from home to see old friends, then after boot camp at the ripe old age of 18, I drove cross country several time in cars I would laugh at now, with tires worse than Big Ken would think were scary. Like Bill said this was all before cell phones but not before common sense, I suspect you have instilled plenty of that in him. So all that along with a cell phone and maybe slip him an extra $20 bucks when he leaves and all will be fine as it can be.

My parents still ask me if I have extra water with me when I travel, which I never do but always say yes, it keeps them happy!
Eric, Ralphumor and speedymph1000 like this.

2003 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000 (Red Sonja)

Yeeehaawwww!!

Dustin

post #23 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARWGN View Post
Phil, you should have seen some of the vehicles I drove around when I was 15, and 16. I would drive 400 and 500 miles away from home to see old friends, then after boot camp at the ripe old age of 18, I drove cross country several time in cars I would laugh at now, with tires worse than Big Ken would think were scary. Like Bill said this was all before cell phones but not before common sense, I suspect you have instilled plenty of that in him. So all that along with a cell phone and maybe slip him an extra $20 bucks when he leaves and all will be fine as it can be.

My parents still ask me if I have extra water with me when I travel, which I never do but always say yes, it keeps them happy!
Dustin, I did a run through on his car to be sure the tires and fluids were ready. I gave him plenty of cash. I mostly appreciate the words of encouragement. He is excited about the journey and I need to let him have the experience. This is a coming of age opportunity. Its just difficult to let him go at it alone.
Thanks for everything.
Phil
Eric likes this.

2008 ST 1300
IDMWT#2
IBA #49803
SS1000 and BB1500

THE VERY FIRST GWOF IB w/RALPHUMOR

No longer on the Darkside -

"It eases my mind to know, that in times like these, there have always been times like these."
Paul Harvey

post #24 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-13-2015, 08:12 PM

Relax, Phil. The whole point of this thread is that you'll know he's not going at it alone. He's got family along the way.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.
post #25 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 04:04 AM

Phil, you know the guys here have your back whenever it is needed. Its what makes this forum a great place, people here care about the others like a band of brothers. Anything you need, just ask.

The FIRST GWOF IB TRIO. July 16, 2016
Charter Members:
Fossil92 - WingNutGordo - GoldWingKing

GWOF IB Couples ride. 1008.3 Mi. September 14, 2016
GWOF IB Couples ride II. 1045.6 Mi. September 16, 2016

Traxxion Dynamics, Mega Monte.
Bridgestone Driveguard RunFlat.
post #26 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 05:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwing02 View Post
Relax, Phil. The whole point of this thread is that you'll know he's not going at it alone. He's got family along the way.
Randy, this has helped me more than you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldWingKing View Post
Phil, you know the guys here have your back whenever it is needed. Its what makes this forum a great place, people here care about the others like a band of brothers. Anything you need, just ask.
I'm glad to be a part of this family. Thank you thank you.

2008 ST 1300
IDMWT#2
IBA #49803
SS1000 and BB1500

"It eases my mind to know, that in times like these, there have always been times like these."
Paul Harvey
post #27 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-14-2015, 05:54 AM

He will be fine, but I know about worrying about them anyway. Let us know how he does.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #28 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:36 AM Thread Starter

The first leg is complete. Luke made it to Kansas City. He said he set his GPS for the shortest route to Yellowstone. That would take him through Deadwood and Sturgis. I'm gonna try to steer him to a more southerly route. He does a better job driving what I call third shift. I would be on the road before daylight....Luke prefers to sleep until lunch and drive late.
fossil92 and crownfire like this.

2008 ST 1300
IDMWT#2
IBA #49803
SS1000 and BB1500

Paul Harvey
post #29 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Phil, tell him to go Old School. Throw that GPS out the window buy a road atlas and see the country on his way..........................

Channel the Ole Fossil........

crownfire, Eric, Ralphumor and 1 others like this.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #30 of 69 (permalink) Old 11-15-2015, 12:21 PM
AZgl1800
Quote:
Originally Posted by EFINREF View Post
The first leg is complete. Luke made it to Kansas City. He said he set his GPS for the shortest route to Yellowstone. That would take him through Deadwood and Sturgis. I'm gonna try to steer him to a more southerly route. He does a better job driving what I call third shift. I would be on the road before daylight....Luke prefers to sleep until lunch and drive late.

Shortest route can give you some interesting perspectives on life

but, for a motorcycle, it is not always the preferred route.

3rd shift riding is not for me... my eyes have lost their "night vision" which is just part of life.... we all are effected by it at some point.

I no longer enjoy dodging the critters after dark.
I like to hit the road by 1st light and get off the road before the "go home" crowd pollutes the highways. In the summer months, that allows me to enjoy the cool of the day, and when I can't handle the heat anymore, I just use the GPS to find a hotel "on route"...

GPS routes: I always set up my itinerary into stages, I pick a few towns along the way and just set the GPS to go to that town. That forces it onto the route I want instead of a Calculated "end-to-end" route which is never the way I want to go.

When I am approaching the current "destination", I just hit "Find Recent" and pick the next one down the list. I always enter them into the reverse order that I want to find them. That ensures that the next one is always the next on the route.

And, having the map in your head before you leave each day helps a lot....paper maps are useful, but for my eyes, useless... can't read them without microscopes on my nose..... and can't use those and ride at the same time

so, I throw up Google Maps the night before, study my new route, put the highway junctions into my mind.... then when the Garmin 2797 throws up that mini-map of the interchange it triggers my brain to say "yep, I remember that peculiar twist in the road".

Love my 2797 which is a 7 inch screen, the mini-map is half of the screen at 3" wide by 3 inches high. Fantastic for verifying you are going where you want to go. I have mine stuck to the windscreen as low as it will go just to the right of the vent.

My video camera occupies the center of the screen sitting on top of the vent.

I have 4 tethers on the GPS so it can't get away just in case the vacuum mount ever comes off.... been there since August so far

When the GPS is off the mount, so are the tethers so nothing is in the way. The tethers tie into sticky back plastic zip tie mounts. 4 on the camera, 4 on the side of the dash tunnel out of sight.

My method won't suit a lot of folks, but it works for me.

One other thing that I "discovered" on my last 4,500 mile tour through the twisties in the Carolinas, Georgia and Alabama.... when it is raining and solid overcast.... and you do not have a clue as to where you are going.... ie, never been here before....

It is sooooo easy to get East confused with West.... I would have sworn I was going Southeast and I knew I needed to be going northwest.... with the GPS programmed to show Route UP, that left me wondering if I was where I should be.

So, at a little break one morning, during a down pour, I pulled into a little picturesque store.... Programmed the GPS for North is UP always....

Bingo! Now I know where I am, and that I am indeed crawling across that map right where I want to be.

that little store? wish I had taken some pictures of it. it had to be dated back into the late 1880s...
harness on the floor, cans of horse liniment with rust on them, pole barn nails with rust on them ( big nails and LONG! ) one shelf that was "groceries" and seemed to be more or less fresh. an tiny glass cased fridge for a few bottles of pop and milk. beer setting on the floor, not the fridge? old tools that dated back to my grandpa's time... yep, sure wish I had pictures now.

. oh, no ATM card register there... I tried to joke with the clerk about it, she didn't have a sense of humor at all...

Last edited by AZgl1800; 11-15-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode