Concealed carry. - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 36Likes

post #11 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 12:39 PM
pmd

My fight or flee switch is toggled to the flee side. I own many guns but they are for entertainment only. I once decided to load my Colt Gold Cup and keep it by my bed, but just thinking about the scenarios that would "force" me to use it got me so depressed I couldn't stand it. They are all locked away now and I sleep very well. I guess ignorance is bliss but it has worked for me for 63 years.
BigDaddy likes this.

IBA# 260
Teamstrange# 84
IDMWT# 71
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 05:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldWingKing View Post
Im with you guys. Here in NJ there is no CC, but in Florida there is. Nothing is fool proof, but having the option sure beats not having it. In NJ you cannot even carry pepper spray, however I carry a can of Wasp and Hornet killer in the truck. Sprays 20 feet and you DO NOT want a stream of that in your face.

Not so,Tom. As I said three month ago I did apply in NJ for CC. .You have to be approved first by the state police (or local police chief) then they will forward it to the county judge for approval, denial or amendment where you could carry.The state police contacted all 3 of my references and then interviewed me over the phone. THEN they established a case number and sent me for fingerprinting.
About 3 month went by with no further contacts. Yesterday I contacted the Attorney Generals office and demanded an answer.
Today I received a cal from Hamilton State Police and told me they have approved my request and now they will forward it to the judge.
"however your chances are slim " he added.

Both , my wife and I are cc in Florida and enjoy range shooting
I live in a safe neighborhood in both locations however a gun near my bedside makes me feel better. Just like that CNN lady we travel with pets, and a gun in the hotel room makes me feel safer.

post #13 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo97 View Post
Not so,Tom. As I said three month ago I did apply in NJ for CC. .You have to be approved first by the state police (or local police chief) then they will forward it to the county judge for approval, denial or amendment where you could carry.The state police contacted all 3 of my references and then interviewed me over the phone. THEN they established a case number and sent me for fingerprinting.
About 3 month went by with no further contacts. Yesterday I contacted the Attorney Generals office and demanded an answer.
Today I received a cal from Hamilton State Police and told me they have approved my request and now they will forward it to the judge.
"however your chances are slim " he added.

Both , my wife and I are cc in Florida and enjoy range shooting
I live in a safe neighborhood in both locations however a gun near my bedside makes me feel better. Just like that CNN lady we travel with pets, and a gun in the hotel room makes me feel safer.
Am afraid I'd go with my Constitutional Right and carry regardless. As the say better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.

Ham Call: W1AYZ

Past Master of Ephrata Lodge #167.
Past District Deputy to the of the Grand Master of Free and Accepted Masons of Washington.
Past Worthy Patron of Oasis Chapter OES.

The Older I get the Better I Was.

American by Birth, Southern by the Grace of GOD.

post #14 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 05:17 PM
Banned

Cant do. Penalty is very high. Then you lose your right to cary in other states.

Heres my rapid shots from 20 feet. Luckily the target does not move

Last edited by gizmo97; 07-14-2015 at 05:24 PM.
post #15 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 05:33 PM

Garage
Self defense is a state of mind. A gun is just a tool in a long list of things one must have. As others have mentioned the willingness to use a gun is a BIG deal. Just the other day my friend (store owner) pulled out his gun but continued to engage the perp with hand to hand. Very dangerous situation and it was all because he was not wiling to use it. We do not train anyone to kill we train to stop the threat.

I am as pro gun as I am pro motorcycle. One rides a motorcycle like one carries a weapon always aware of what is around them and always looking for a way out. Like before a gun is just a tool it will not hurt anyone unless it is misused or mishandled by another person. It is also not the end all and once you have it you are safe. You must train and constantly be aware. Ex when you pull up to the gas pump do you walk right in the store? No you look to see who is in there and if they are getting robbed.
Be safe Be aware and watch your six
Biker Joe likes this.

Iron Butt Association #25491
IDMWT #27
NRA Life Member
AMA Charter Life member
Hard Chargers
08 Air Bag
THE VERY FIRST GWOF IB w/EFINREF

2014 Honda CRF250L
post #16 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 05:53 PM

Congrats on deciding to get your CC and I hope you never HAVE to use it.
I've had my CC license since Texas legalized it several years ago. I have a sizeable collection of hand guns and rifles acquired thru the years. I have a Ruger Mark III, it is the most fun for plunking, and most accurate pistol I own. The ammo is cheap, can go out and plink away at targets for hours for a few dollars, I HIGHLY recommend you keep it. As far as a self defense weapon, there are many reasons why the 45 acp is best. The 38, 380, and 9mm can be deadly, but unless you hit a bone or vital organ, they just don't have the stopping power of a 45. In a critical self defense situation, it's much better for you to only have to fire one round to stop an assailant than firing several.

2010 GL1800AC 'Have road, will travel'

Texas hill country + fine rides + single + early retirement = one happy guy
post #17 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 05:58 PM Thread Starter

Very good conversation, folks; respectful, on topic, etc.

Though I'm still not sure what Chopin/Lee is trying to say.....

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." ~ George Orwell

Kevin
1995 1500 Aspencade named "Cochise"
1985 1200 Aspencade named "Tatanka"
IDMWT club #18
post #18 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 07:04 PM Thread Starter

Spoke with a very nice young sheriff's deputy on the phone today and will visit Stillwater, MN tomorrow or Thursday to get a fresh "Permit to Purchase a Firearm in Minnesota." They do a quick, and good, background check just like when you buy a firearm at a gun show, and I should walk out with it.

Have the one-on-one concealed carry class scheduled for Sat. morning, then I turn in proof of completion to the Washington County, MN sheriff's dept. and they'll issue the Permit to Carry A Firearm soon thereafter. I'm fortunate to live in Washington County. If I were in Ramsey (St. Paul) or Hennepin (Minneapolis) it wouldn't go anywhere near as smoothly.

Only step not resolved yet is the weapon of choice. I had in mind to buy a Sig Sauer .32acp or chambered for .380, but they want a lot of money for those, for the Sig name; same with S&W, Colt, Browning, Weatherby, etc. I'll be trading/selling my Ruger Mark III .22LR target pistol to acquire the new tool. The FFL/carry instructor I'm working with told me to avoid smaller Taurus firearms, even though I like their .357 revolver and .45ACP that I have. Don't want a .40S&W fitted gun, as I hate their report. Don't care much for 9mm either, just based on previous experience.

If any of you have recommendations or even something to sell/trade, I'm all ears.

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." ~ George Orwell

Kevin
1995 1500 Aspencade named "Cochise"
1985 1200 Aspencade named "Tatanka"
IDMWT club #18
post #19 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lken37 View Post
Am afraid I'd go with my Constitutional Right and carry regardless. As the say better to be tried by twelve than carried by six.
+1 here, Ken. The wife and I have our CC Permits here in GA, but agree whole heartedly.
post #20 of 195 (permalink) Old 07-14-2015, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

I have a couple 38's and Martena has a Ruger 38 that is pretty light and should be affective. On the bike is a snub nose Colt that was my Dad's backup gun.

For concealed carry I have a Smith & Wesson Bodyguard 380. It comes with a laser pointer and shoots very well. Some think it is a light load but if I needed to use it I know I would put a round where it would be affective. Don't remember the price but it wasn't bad.

I would like a 45 and that will be some time in my future. Nothing I have is for sale.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

Last edited by crownfire; 07-14-2015 at 07:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode