Pay attention to your credentials! - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 13Likes

post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 01:40 PM

Safety Issue -

Wouldn't the ability of a highway patrolman to know who he is walking up on as they approach a car's door on a dark night be considered a safety issue ? Any available cruiser installed tool that provides these brave men and woman an additional layer of protection from danger would seem to be well worth the public's support. Just my opinion but most field officers should expect combat pay.

Michael
Luv2fish likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 04:08 PM

Location: Ranch outside Bertram, TX about 80 miles north of Austin.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmcdonald123 View Post
Wouldn't the ability of a highway patrolman to know who he is walking up on as they approach a car's door on a dark night be considered a safety issue ? Any available cruiser installed tool that provides these brave men and woman an additional layer of protection from danger would seem to be well worth the public's support. Just my opinion but most field officers should expect combat pay.

Michael
I respect your opinion but just like a pancake, no matter how thin it is, it has 2 sides.....90% of the cars stopped are stopped for minor infractions. You can't get in your car and go to town without breaking some law. Most of the time a stop has nothing to do with safety, but rather it has become a revenue getter. ....And that's my opinion... Isaac
dwade and 823Jim like this.

No river is shallow to a man that can't swim..

2007 GL 1800 (VA)
2005 Yamaha FJR 1300
Isaac
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeaver View Post
I respect your opinion but just like a pancake, no matter how thin it is, it has 2 sides.....90% of the cars stopped are stopped for minor infractions. You can't get in your car and go to town without breaking some law. Most of the time a stop has nothing to do with safety, but rather it has become a revenue getter. ....And that's my opinion... Isaac

And 1 more opinion here. Although it was a minor traffic infraction it could have been done by public enemy number one. I知 in the camp that says give that cop all the info he needs. In Virginia he knows that I知 a concealed carry licensed driver so I make sure he knows where my hands are and where my gun is when he approaches. I don稚 reach for anything. These folks face enough bad things every day and I want to make their lives safer.

Just another pancake on the stack I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dwade and NREMTP like this.

Steve

2015 Goldwing NAV/ABS
IDMWT #81
Fredericksburg, Virginia

post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 06:10 PM

Ride Along -

Issac - You might consider participating in one of the available "Officer Ride Along Programs". I honestly believe you'd see things much differently. These officers are routinely exposed to situations everyday that makes it mandatory that they wear a tactical ballistic vest and often never know if they're pulling someone over for a minor infraction or a 3 strike armed criminal with a trunk full of drugs.

Michael
dwade likes this.
post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2fish View Post
And 1 more opinion here. Although it was a minor traffic infraction it could have been done by public enemy number one. I知 in the camp that says give that cop all the info he needs. In Virginia he knows that I知 a concealed carry licensed driver so I make sure he knows where my hands are and where my gun is when he approaches. I don稚 reach for anything. These folks face enough bad things every day and I want to make their lives safer.

Just another pancake on the stack I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree that he should know if you have a CHL and are or not packing. It is one of the first things taught in the CHL class. Just remember this, with the system that we are talking about, he already knows if your a CHL holder or not. The only thing he doesn't know is if your packing now. Crazy.....Isaac

2007 GL 1800 (VA)
2005 Yamaha FJR 1300
Isaac
post #16 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-02-2018, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmcdonald123 View Post
Issac - You might consider participating in one of the available "Officer Ride Along Programs". I honestly believe you'd see things much differently. These officers are routinely exposed to situations everyday that makes it mandatory that they wear a tactical ballistic vest and often never know if they're pulling someone over for a minor infraction or a 3 strike armed criminal with a trunk full of drugs.

Michael
Michael, you must not have a scanner. That information is passed along prior to the cop getting out of the car both verbally and as a text to his screen.Isaac

2007 GL 1800 (VA)
2005 Yamaha FJR 1300
Isaac
post #17 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
Administrator

Garage
None of that is an issue here in Canada, no such thing as a CCL anywhere. Up here only the outlaws have concealed weapons. Yup, gun control works.
DreamWeaver and 823Jim like this.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
post #18 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 10:53 AM

Scanner -

Isaac - You are right - License Plate Identification Scanners have been in operation for many years. Like you mentioned, this is to allow the officer to perform a pre-evaluation of a vehicle before he approaches for his safety.

I'm not trying to start an argument but sorry, just don't understand why this new cruiser mounted computerized camera system would not be seen by a law abiding citizen as an additional improvement in safety. Assisting law enforcement to quickly sort out a BOLO or Identify a dangerous repeat offender as they pass by could potentially save your life as well as an officer's. The camera's scanning speed, resolution and the volume of data that can be digested per second is simply the result of the latest improvements in technology.

Is your point that the camera can also snag the odd out of date license plate, inspection sticker or revoked driver's license ? This CAN be a peripheral plus or minus spin off depending on your point of view. We'll all have to keep a closer eye on our paperwork.

Michael
post #19 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 02:19 PM

I drove my mom's car to the gas station this week to fill it up for her. While I'm standing there waiting for her tank to fill I glance down at her license plate and think to myself 17? Sure enough, her plates expired 09 of 17. Fortunately I was only three blocks from the Motor Vehicle Dept. (The advantage of living in a small town) so I drove over and got her plate renewed. However, she was a little surprised when she asked how much she owed me for gas and I said $168.00!

1968 Honda 350
1979 Honda 750 Four full dress
2006 Kawasaki Vulcan 900 Custom Classic (for sale)
2007 GL 1800
IDMWT #92
post #20 of 25 (permalink) Old 05-03-2018, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pointwithinacircle View Post
I drove my mom's car to the gas station this week to fill it up for her. While I'm standing there waiting for her tank to fill I glance down at her license plate and think to myself 17? Sure enough, her plates expired 09 of 17. Fortunately I was only three blocks from the Motor Vehicle Dept. (The advantage of living in a small town) so I drove over and got her plate renewed. However, she was a little surprised when she asked how much she owed me for gas and I said $168.00!
Swapping plates from a full size truck to a car in Ohio....$4.95.

[email protected]

YES I SELL OEM HONDA PARTS!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode