New 1800 owners - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 10Likes

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-02-2018, 11:31 PM

Eric, for comparison, that "What's your age?" thread a few years ago had about 50 responses. I think the average was 68.
Eric likes this.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 12:19 AM Thread Starter

I know that we only have a small number of the new 1800 riders but there seems to be a pattern of new 1800 riders being over 50 years old. This is what I would have expected. It will not be long and I will be old enough to get into Ron's Geyser Gang.
It would be great to get back and see my friends in the USA again. When things get sorted out work wise..............I will have to get some plans ready for a return trip. I Will Be Back.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 01:06 AM

I am 63 years old. My thoughts were like one other poster's comments. Looked at an older new F6B but did not bite although price was attractive. Being an older person and wanting a first touring bike, it was a heart and head decision.....heart impulses were with Harley Ultra glide and Indian roadmaster, and head impulses with BMW k1600B and Honda Goldwing touring. I loved the sounds of the Harley and Indian, but too much mass and getting older, it is not going to be easier. I loved the looks and the way I could sit in the BMW, but service was a big deal.....100 miles to get service.....and service upkeep.....the DCT seemed really slick...and a dealer close by that has an incredible reputation sealed the deal. I was at the dealer from Oct 2017 when word got out about the new Wing and got a price when they first come out in December. I am sure now the dealer would not have gave me the good discount if it was not discussed early on with a deposit.... I look forward to getting out on it.

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 01:57 AM Thread Starter

William, thankyou for your thought process into how you went with the Goldwing. I can't make any comment on other brands of motorcycles but I do like the Indian Roadmaster.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-03-2018, 06:22 PM

Welcome to the forum from Eastern NC, William, and congrats on the new bike. Glad to have you aboard!

post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 02:46 PM

Hello Eric, I am 55 and new owner of the Goldwing 18 model. You have good points to mention here and it’s all about information. I think the 50 plus crowd is gonna be the market initially. Since the young guns (ain’t that silly) 40 and younger probably are not focused on the “Goldwing”. And for me personally I looked, rode, kicked the tires and just could not get excited about the previous generation. And I am a life long Honda owner of mainly Four Wheelers, Side by Sides and dirt bikes. But on the street end only recently a Africa Twin which opened my eyes to the DCT technology. Without going on and on I am a newbie here to the forum as well.
fossil92 and Luv2fish like this.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 03:05 PM

First wing for me (got the DCT) and I'm 64
fossil92 likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 10:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Age View Post
Hello Eric, I am 55 and new owner of the Goldwing 18 model. You have good points to mention here and it’s all about information. I think the 50 plus crowd is gonna be the market initially. Since the young guns (ain’t that silly) 40 and younger probably are not focused on the “Goldwing”. And for me personally I looked, rode, kicked the tires and just could not get excited about the previous generation. And I am a life long Honda owner of mainly Four Wheelers, Side by Sides and dirt bikes. But on the street end only recently a Africa Twin which opened my eyes to the DCT technology. Without going on and on I am a newbie here to the forum as well.
It is great to see you on GWOF and I can say that you will not find better people than we have here. I am not saying that it just GWOF with great members, but I have meet and road with many member here and have first hand experience.
I can also say that we all would love to hear of your finding of your new Goldwing, because for a lot of us this is the best way of finding out about the new Goldwing. When an owner give's their opinion, that is the best information we will get. You will be surprise at the level of smart (cleaver) members on here. I am sorry that I am not one of them
Ease yourself into GWOF and get to know members on here and may we meet in person (you could alway's come Down Under.)

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-04-2018, 11:03 PM

I’m a new 18 GW owner. I’m 57 and an outlier. I heard about how GW should not be a bike for a newbie, but I already got it. Started riding in November and started out with a Valkyrie. I had the GW 3 weeks now and 800 miles. (Yes, I took the training course. Used a HD in training pushed me to Honda after riding and research)

18 GW owners are going to older because we are the only guys that have 25-30k to spend on a rec vehicle. I just read the avg GW owner is 52. Kids love my bike, but the money is nuts. I have airbag model. Folks in their 30’s not going to have the cash. But trust me, they like the bike.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-05-2018, 08:39 AM
Administrator

Garage
There are some very positive responses in this thread. However, I have to disagree with the idea that younger riders don't have the coin purse depth for a new Wing. When I see how many HD SVO models and who is riding them (or parking them at the curb as it were) money is certainly not an issue in the under 40 crowd. Those of us approaching "geezerhood" however are certainly less inclined to spoil ourselves without some serious research into the cash layout. I know I'd be hard pressed to layout another $30k (+) on a new bike...but hey, I have a solid machine now that will last far longer than I am liable to so.

grab all the kicks you can baby, you only make this scene once!
current rides: '09 GL1800AD "SENSHI"; 2003 RVT1000r (RC51) track bike... certified m/c addict. IDMWT #12. GWRRA #028890
Daryl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode