IDMWT Membership - Page 26 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 383Likes

post #251 of 969 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 07:38 AM
gizmo97
Nice description Bev! When I do park like you did,I ask my wife to get off the bike and I take my time. Neadless to say I droped it twice when the proper condition was met. Just like yours, no damage.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #252 of 969 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEVMAN View Post
I have watched and read this thread numerous times in the past year and a half or so and just never really thought this would happen to me.......but.

My wife and I attended the Texas District GWRRA rally in Wichita Falls this past weekend along with about 30 or so other members of our chapter. It was Saturday night when about 8 of us decided to go to dinner together. We pulled into the parking lot and as usual everyone was pulling up to back in straight into the parking spaces, it was my turn to park so I headed toward the bike that had just parked in front of us and made a sharp right turn to pull up and then back up.....except when I pulled up I had the bars turned to the right and well.... all of a sudden I felt an overwhelming weight pulling the bike over on the right side. I knew that there was no way to hold it up and over we went in front of the other bikes in our group. My wife and I both just stepped off of the bike so neither of us ever fell down. Everyone in the chapter came over to help us but I was already trying to upright the bike when they got there. I used the technique that I have read about many times and it worked OK but it was still hard to upright it again. No damage to the bike not even a scratch, it did bend up the hwy pegs on the right front crash bar but I was able to push it back down into position. No damage except to my ego and learned a good lesson.......never try to stop at any kind of real speed with the bars turned. No one that was with us made me feel bad and all said the same thing, it's not if but when it will happen to everyone.

I guess I need a number!!!
I guess your lucky number 50! No shame in dropping it. It's gonna happen to all of us.

Nothing rides quite like a Goldwing...
2012 GL 1800 level 2 Audio/Comfort/Navi/XM (ultra blue metallic)
1987 GL 1200 Aspencade (wine berry) sold

IDMWT Club Member#45

The price of victory is high, but so are the rewards.- Paul "Bear" Bryant
~Be allergic to average!~
post #253 of 969 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 06:24 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wife and I went out on ride today. Passed an ARC course 2 up yesterday and did rather well for the first time taking a course. We ran down to Mansfield, Oh. cut across the central section of Ohio, through Amish country toward Dover, Oh. Found a quaint looking little place in Dover, but it was closed, turned around and headed back out toward the main road. Came up to the intersection and that's were the problem occurred. This intersection was going uphill in the direction we were heading with a stop sign at the top and the roadway tilted very hard to the right. Cross traffic had no stop signs. Well we get to the intersection and saw cross traffic coming. Oh No, by the time my right foot found the ground to hold us up, it was too late. The bike was too far over to power us out. Here I am trying to hold up my very heavy bike, only to look down and see my chrome mere inches from the pavement. A quick 'We're going down' to my wife and my bike is resting on the crash bars. I stayed on my feet, my wife on the other hand fell on her butt. Nothing was hurt but my pride. Th guy who must live on the other side of the intersection came over to check on us and offered help, had said we were the third bike in two weeks to fall over there. the Bike that went passed us when we went over came back to check on us and he too fell over there before.
So what's my IDMWT number?

post #254 of 969 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 06:36 PM

Folks are just falling over themselves to join our "select" group!

"During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." ~ George Orwell

Kevin
1995 1500 Aspencade named "Cochise"
1985 1200 Aspencade named "Tatanka"
IDMWT club #18
post #255 of 969 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blk93wing View Post
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The wife and I went out on ride today. Passed an ARC course 2 up yesterday and did rather well for the first time taking a course. We ran down to Mansfield, Oh. cut across the central section of Ohio, through Amish country toward Dover, Oh. Found a quaint looking little place in Dover, but it was closed, turned around and headed back out toward the main road. Came up to the intersection and that's were the problem occurred. This intersection was going uphill in the direction we were heading with a stop sign at the top and the roadway tilted very hard to the right. Cross traffic had no stop signs. Well we get to the intersection and saw cross traffic coming. Oh No, by the time my right foot found the ground to hold us up, it was too late. The bike was too far over to power us out. Here I am trying to hold up my very heavy bike, only to look down and see my chrome mere inches from the pavement. A quick 'We're going down' to my wife and my bike is resting on the crash bars. I stayed on my feet, my wife on the other hand fell on her butt. Nothing was hurt but my pride. Th guy who must live on the other side of the intersection came over to check on us and offered help, had said we were the third bike in two weeks to fall over there. the Bike that went passed us when we went over came back to check on us and he too fell over there before.
So what's my IDMWT number?
Guess your 51

IDMWT Club Member#45

post #256 of 969 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:31 PM

Steve and blk93, you have both passed one of the required tests to enter Goldwingdom.

There was a time when I told Pam that dropping the wing was a part of the scheduled maintence.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.
post #257 of 969 (permalink) Old 05-20-2013, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwing02 View Post
There was a time when I told Pam that dropping the wing was a part of the scheduled maintence.
I'm going to try to remember that one.

Mark
It matters not how good you are if an angel pees on the flintlock of your musket. Old German Military saying.
2010 Honda GL1800
GWOF IB Hat #1 with WARWGN
IDMWT #86

post #258 of 969 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwing02 View Post
Steve and blk93, you have both passed one of the required tests to enter Goldwingdom.

love it!

IDMWT Club Member#45

post #259 of 969 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 06:44 AM Thread Starter
Super Moderator

Well an official Welcome to our two newest members, Bevman and Blk93wing...

Bevman, you are member number #50.

Blk93wing you are member number #51.

You have joined an elite group of GWOF members. Be proud you are a survivor...

Charlie
<><
Proud Owner of IDMWT #1
Past rides:
1974 Blue Yamaha TX500
1986 Red Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1998 Candy Spectra Red Goldwing 1500 SE
2009 Silver Goldwing 1800 Audio/Comfort
***(all dropped, all gone, but none forgotten)***
Present:
2003 Electron Blue Metallic Corvette 5.7

Faith is more than believing God can, it's knowing God will.

Elected officials like diapers need to be changed regularly, both for the same reason. Mark Twain
post #260 of 969 (permalink) Old 05-21-2013, 07:55 PM

Well twice in 100,000 miles on this bike over 12 or so years isn't too bad. Both times while stopped and too long of a stretch to reach pavement. This time I had to back it down the hill about 20 feet just to get it to rest on the standstand. Where I was was so steep I couldn't even lower it without leaning it over to the right side. My poor Miata would have got hung up on that turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode