Colorado Mountain weather in Late June - Page 2 - Honda Goldwing Forums
 3Likes

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 09:43 AM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertRat View Post
The biggest challenge is thunderstorms in the afternoon. Between Durango and Ouray, also known as the Million Dollar highway, if a violent thunderstorm strikes the run off from the short intense rain will dislodge rocks that will cascade down onto the roads, some bigger than basketballs. Red Mountain pass is the most treacherous especially on the Ouray side.
YouTube video link showing Red Mountain Pass during/after a heavy rain storm - water runoff & falling rocks.
https://youtu.be/vfKBjf9SN9M
DesertRat likes this.

T-Cat
Midlothian, TX
2002 Silver GL1800A / 2003 Sliver Bushtec Quantum GL
2007 Nomad VN1600 - Totaled May 2018
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 07:11 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone posting replies. Getting much better info than I expected. Please keep it coming. Places to stay, eat, see, routes to take or avoid. Anything. It's all really appreciated.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-24-2019, 08:46 PM

Byron, if you follow DersertRat's route to Chama, try to find a thread here from Eric & Vanessa, the Aussies. On their more recent USA tour, they stayed at a ranch B&B in Chama. And everything they said about the place was a positive. I searched for it but did not find the post. Hopefully, E&V, or someone will see this and find it for you.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 02:39 PM

Friends and I went to Colorado the second week of June 3 or 4 years ago. I chose that week because it was the lowest average rainfall week of the year. We were there 5 days, planned to be there 7 days, but went home after the 3rd day of torrential rain :-)

The passes were cold. We ran into snow pellets on a few occasions but the roads were clear. They had just opened Trail Ridge Road when we went across the park. Lots of snow banks still existed.

The greatest advice I could provide would be to dress in layers. It would be 80 degrees before we headed over a pass and very cold by the time we got to the top. I probably put leathers on and took them off more in that few days than I have in my life combined.

It was beautiful country and great riding. I would love to do it again some time minus the rain. I hate riding in rain. Did I say it rained a lot? Morning to evening 3 straight days. I hate riding in rain!

Just a way faring stranger
IDMWT#85
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-31-2019, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

I hear ya wayfarer. I hate rain as well. Going 3rd week in June hopefully I'll miss rain. Getting snowed on wouldn't bother me as long as not real cold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode