Looking for some Goldwing advice - Honda Goldwing Forums
 1Likes

post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter

Looking for some Goldwing advice

My wife and I are looking to purchase a used Goldwing between a 2004-2006. We have never owned one. We are selling our little 1998 V-Star Classic and we are looking forward in owning a Goldwing. I need some advice. Some Goldwings have the Navigation system. Is it worth looking at that feature, and if so, knowing the Nav does not have lifetime maps and updates, how do you update the maps and at what cost? What are some things to look at when purchasing a used Goldwing? We want to pull a little hitch behind to tour and travel. We are so excited, but need some guidance.

Vince
[email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 08:12 PM

Welcome to GWOF from Down Under. I am sorry but 1800 are not on mt radar. But I can say the older wing are very reliable.

When all else fails.......... use a hammer!
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 08:16 PM

Welcome to the forum from Richmond, Virginia. When I bought my GW two years ago I looked at three things: did it look good, did it ride good, did it feel good? The answer was yes to all three and I bought it. Try to get service records. Others will be along shortly to give you more advice on what to look for. There is a good video on YouTube on buying a used gold wing. Good luck in your search.

Eddie
2018 DCT Tour Pearl Hawkeye Blue
IDMWT #73

"Ride hard or stay home"

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 08:55 PM

Personally, I wouldn't let the GPS enter into the decision to buy/not buy. It's OK at best. You can buy a much better aftermarket unit. Updates come few and far between and the system, while just ok and certainly conveniently placed, just isn't that great. There used to be a good history of the GL1800 on GoldWingFacts.com listing all the significant changes over the years, but darned if I can find it now. Hopefully someone else will chime in with that - it was good info.

Welcome and good luck with your search.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 09:24 PM

Vince, I'm on my second GL1800. Neither has had the Honda GPS, which is a Garmin product. I personally have no experience with it, but from conversations and reading comments from those who do, I would not spend extra money for the current or recent versions.

If you took the considerable amount time to go back through past threads on this forum, you'd find far more complaints than praises for the Honda GPS. Many riders who do have it, don't even turn it on. They, and I, simply use an aftermarket unit, usually on a handlebar mount. Mine is a Garmin auto type. It can do far more than I know how to use, but it serves my needs and cost less than $200.

As for the 'Wing, good plan. I would not have bought a second one if I didn't believe they are the best choice. The primary thing to look for is a maintenance history, documented if possible. If the previous owner had all of his work done at a Honda dealer, the dealer will have a detailed record. If the po did his own work, that's gonna be a judgement call based on the bike in question and what you sense from the owner. With proper maintenance, 200K miles is common.

The GoldWing is an excellent towing vehicle if the towing is done properly.

There are so many on the market, its easy to think the perfect one for you is out there. As our guiding Fossil says, find the one that sings to you. And then come see me. We'll go for a lunch ride.

2003 GL1800/MotorTrike Adventure IDMWT#25x3
Ride often. Ride far. Ride safe and do much more of both.
Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach him how to surf the GWOF and he won't bother you for weeks, maybe months
I'll be waitin' for you at the end of the road.
If everything had gone as planned, it would not have been an adventure.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-07-2015, 10:29 PM

Nav system is not worth looking for!!!! Not user friendly and updates expensive!
Buy an after market GPS
Also, there were several improvements introduced w/the 2006 model
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 03:16 AM

Vince, Welcome to the GWOF. No, the navigation is not worth the money. I have used mine a few times with limited success, I do much better with my ipad. For the most upgrades, if your looking at an 1800, I would be looking at a 2006 and newer. These bikes can handle the miles, so like was already said, make sure the bike was maintained and you will be fine. Good luck in your search and enjoy your new wing when it arrives..

The FIRST GWOF IB TRIO. July 16, 2016
Charter Members:
Fossil92 - WingNutGordo - GoldWingKing

GWOF IB Couples ride. 1008.3 Mi. September 14, 2016
GWOF IB Couples ride II. 1045.6 Mi. September 16, 2016

Traxxion Dynamics, Mega Monte.
Bridgestone Driveguard RunFlat.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 03:17 AM

BTW, where are you located in the NE?

The FIRST GWOF IB TRIO. July 16, 2016
Charter Members:
Fossil92 - WingNutGordo - GoldWingKing

GWOF IB Couples ride. 1008.3 Mi. September 14, 2016
GWOF IB Couples ride II. 1045.6 Mi. September 16, 2016

Traxxion Dynamics, Mega Monte.
Bridgestone Driveguard RunFlat.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
Well Vince since the 1800 guys have given you some good responses I'll just say Welcome to the GWOF. Oh yes the main consensus will most likely say if your budget can swing it look for one '06 and above. Not that there is anything wrong with an '01-'05 but there were some recalls and bugs that had to be worked out and the 1800 really hit a good stride in '06. Of course every 1800 is affected by a brake inspection recall which Honda is still working on.

Whoever said a woman can't make up their mind never met a Male Motorcycle Rider

GWOF IB COUPLE #2

MEMBER GWOF IB TRIO #1/Overall #4

FR #91
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-08-2015, 06:42 AM

Garage
The other thing to consider is how Honda does the options. If you want ABS you will need to get one with NAV. With that said I wanted ABS . Purchased a nice 06 with comfort,NAV and ABS and love all 3 .
Having the NAV intergrated into the system is nice. When a turn is coming up it mutes the radio so you can hear the direction clearly. You won't find that on a add on system.
Garmen has a 2013 map coming out and 2011 is out now so for less that a $100. You can update and it fairly simple .
Brian

Behind"Goldwing " Bars
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Goldwing Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode