Honda Goldwing Forums - View Single Post - 2018 GL1800/B Engine Ticking
View Single Post
post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2019, 07:39 AM
DesertRat

Garage
I own a 2018 Goldwing Tour DCT and my son-in-law owns a 2018 Goldwing Tour. Both machines have a low volume noticeable ticking noise especially when started cold. My machine has 9,000 miles on it. It seems to be operating fine. Regarding your comparison of a Honda Accord to your Goldwing noise levels, the Accord's engine is buried in an engine compartment and even with the hood open it is still surrounded by lots of stuff so comparing it to a Goldwing engine pretty much out in the open is an unfair comparison. I have owned two other Honda models with the Unicam engine design, a 2005 CRF-450X and a 2009 CRF-450R. The 2005 X came from the factory with the intake and exhaust valve clearances reversed, Honda must have had some newbie build the engine that day. I adjusted the clearances correctly and the engine lit up in performance. Ether way there could have been some ticking coming from that engine but other engine noise like the exhaust could have masked it. The 2009 R engine was ridden for four years with two valve clearance checks which prompted a very minor exhaust valve adjustment. Again it was hard to tell if that engine ticked. I guess my point in all of this is that Honda has a lot of experience with the Unicam engine design and maybe because of the quiet nature of the Goldwing certain noises show up on it that wouldn't be noticeable on other Unicam models.

Regarding your hill start gremlin, I am no expert on this sort of thing, but I would ask the dealer to look at the sensor that determines whether the bike is level or on an incline. More than likely there are more than one inputs into the hill start feature that require either "or" and/or "and" logic inputs to function correctly. A diagnostic check with a laptop could pinpoint the problem if they haven't done that already. Good luck on this because these complicated computer software and instrumentation problems are often the most frustrating problems of all.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome